PDA

View Full Version : Balancing a diet for weight loss

chuck
12-04-2001, 07:31 PM
Hey, I'm semi-new to the nutrition/health scene and I was wondering if you guys could help me setup a diet to shed a few pounds.

Currently I weigh around 138lbs, I'd like to lose about 10 pounds of fat from that. Currently I'm simply drinking a lot of water (8+/day) and watching what I eat, staying away from fried foods and foods high in saturated fat (bacon, butter, etc.)

However, I'm not sure what my daily fat intake should be roughly -- same goes for carbs and protein, but I'm a little less worried about them (carbs at least, because I usually just eat enough carbs so I'm not hungry..)

If you could perhaps give me some ratios, or even specific numbers that would be a lot of help.

Also -- this goes under training more than diet, but I may as well include it here. What kind of weight training routine would you recommend to help me get through this? I'm already doing squash and karate regularly, and I do cardio a few nights a week. What would you recommend as far as intensity training?

Thanks a lot :)

PowerManDL
12-04-2001, 09:30 PM
Two things:

One, what's your current body fat? If its not tremendously high, and if you haven't been weight training very long, I wouldn't bother trying to lose weight right now. Muscle tissue is more important to the fat-loss process than the actual training.

Two, if you *must* diet, try to keep your simple carbs (read sugars) to a minimum, and combine any carbs you do eat with protein. Combine any fats you eat with protein as well, but not at the same meal.

chuck
12-05-2001, 02:39 PM
My body fat's at an acceptable level, I'm basically trying to clean up my diet to begin with. However, until exams are over, I don't plan on putting in the time and dedication required to seriously weight train. Right now my main goal is to clean up my diet, and get into better shape. I'm guessing my bodyfat's around 12-13%, but I don't have calipers nor do I have access to a dunk tank (as far as i know) to check.

Right now, I'm starting to be able to see some definition in my upper two abs. I'd like to lose a few more pounds so the rest of my abs are more defined. Once I get there, I'll change my diet to a matainance one, and see where I want to go from there. If I start lifting in the future, it will likely be for a goal of strength rather than size (I admit the prospect of being more muscular is attractive, but I don't have a desire to push myself to be huge.)

I can cut out most of my simple carbs, I think (pasta & bread are complex right?), and I've cut out a lot of fat from my diet, but I'm not sure how much I should keep. I've heard that it's good to keep some fat in ones diet.

hooty mcboobs
12-08-2001, 12:17 AM
Pasta and bread are complex carbs - if they're whole wheat. White pasta and bread is the devil's food! Refined carbs have a high glycemic index, resulting in an insulin spike that will carry the glucose to your fat cells when there is no more room for glycogen in the liver.

Tryska
12-08-2001, 06:56 AM
you wanna be a 128 lbs? how tall are you? your a guy right?

the doc
12-08-2001, 09:21 AM
lose weight???
:confused:

chuck
12-08-2001, 10:30 AM
I'm only 5'4" last I measured, not that tall at all. For now I just want to get cut. In a few months when I'm more prepared to make a committment I'll probably start a strength training routine.

Tryska
12-08-2001, 11:48 AM
are you male or female?

chuck
12-08-2001, 12:40 PM
Male.

Tryska
12-08-2001, 12:45 PM
ahhh okay.....i was confused because of the low weight you are aiming for. is it even possible? i would think as a male, your LBM itself would be about 125 at the least.....

anyways.....carbs won't necessarily aid in your weightloss efforts. if it were me, i would aim for maybe one serving of whole grains a day, and make the rest of my carbs fibrous, my fat sources from monosats and efa's, some sat fat, and my protein adequate to maintain my LBM.

chuck
12-08-2001, 07:30 PM
Hmm, any chance you could give me some specific recommendations?

I'm not really sure where to begin as far as counting calories so that I can keep my diet consistent from day to day. As I said before, I just want to lose a few pounds to get cut, hopefully that will be enough motivation for me to keep eating right and exercising -- just going one step at a time.

Basically, I'd like to know the best way to determine how many calories/day I should be having, and how much is made up of carbs, protein and fat (%ages would be nice.)

I'd like to make this more serious than I've been the last few weeks (since I've cleaned up most my diet, and started drinking more water.. but still not recording what I eat.) I'm hoping to start a training journal as soon as I've got a solid plan together (ie. this week :) ) so any help from you guys is much appreciated.

lastly, if you want to recommend specific meals you find are enjoyable that might be of use for me, please by all means tell me! :)

Thanks a lot!