PDA

View Full Version : dextrose using cause diabetes?

Wild Cat McCane
05-04-2005, 10:59 PM
I searched. found the 10 threads to link to each other, and then gave no answer.

So yes or no.

Built
05-04-2005, 11:00 PM
No.

Chizniz16
05-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Can someone answer me this important question, prolly built, if I use equate packets of sugar, will that give me the same benifts of dextrose, no place here has it and the guy and at gnc told me just to buy sugar packets. But i thaught most sugars are unhealhty so whats the deal.

Built
05-04-2005, 11:13 PM
It's not that it's "unhealthy". Sucrose is a dextrose joined to a fructose.

Dex is taken up by muscle glycogen preferentially, fructose, by the liver.

You can get dextrose at any place that sells beer/winemaking supplies, or online.

Shao-LiN
05-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Sugar isn't unhealthy per se. Excessive usage of it would be unhealthy, depending on the circumstance. If you are some regular cough potato consuming sugar, then yes, it can be very unhealthy. But the use of dextrose post workout is not an unhealthy practice.

Table sugar, a 1:1 ratio (I think) of glucose to fructose, is abused by many people, thus making it unhealthy.

Dextrose preferentially "refills" muscle glycogen, I wouldn't say is taken up by muscle glycogen. After glycogen stores are filled, any spillover can lead to fat gain. Fructose will preferentially refill liver glycogen, etc. etc. In any event, in the right environment, it is not unhealthy.

Slim Schaedle
05-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Plus I'm willing to bet that dextrose is even cheaper than individual sugar packets. (maybe not the bigger bags though)

Shao-LiN
05-04-2005, 11:58 PM
Bulk dextrose is fairly cheap.