PDA

View Full Version : Cardio Question

Shobe
05-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Guys, I'm going to quit lifting all together for like 2 months and just do cardio 3 times a week. I want to get rid of this excess fat on my stomach and chest, then begin lifting again. My question is, should I continue to follow my diet I'm on now and take a whey shake after running each time?? And also, should I run on a empty stomach or eat first?

leanmuscle
05-05-2005, 08:45 PM
If you are able to I'd do cardio first thing in the morning before eating, will help burn more fat and boost metabolism for rest of the day.

Doubles
05-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Thats what I want to do. Except, Im going off to college this year and i want to still have muscle. So instead, I am just going to watch what I eat, and do cardio 3X a week, but still keep up my lifting. You might loose a lot of muscle if you take off two months, then that means that all your hard work was for nothing

Shobe
05-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Hey Doubles, I'm in the same boat as you. I don't want to quit for two months, because of all my hard work. But I'm tired of lifting, lifting and not being able to see anything due to my fat. So I guess you can't have everything in this world. One or the other.

Shobe
05-05-2005, 09:40 PM
hey leanmuscle, should I take a protein shake after my cardio, then wait like an hour then eat my breakfast?

dissipate
05-05-2005, 09:45 PM
firstly, why are you quitting lifting for fat loss? lifting + cardio + clean diet = maximum rate of fat loss. take away one and you won't be achieving your potential rate of fat loss. lifting will help you gain a bit of muscle mass or at least help preserve it. muscle mass is what you want because muscles burn calories.

secondly, there're lots of threads in this forum on diet for fat loss, pre-cardio and post-cardio nutrition, so use the search function.

Shobe
05-05-2005, 09:52 PM
hey dissipate,why am I quitting lifting and doing just cardio? Well like I said in previous posts I can't lose weight just lifting. And I dont' know where to fit cardio into my schedule.

Day 1-Bis, & Back
Day 2-Tris & Chest
Day 3-Abs & Legs
Day 4-Off

Where can I fit cardio in and still have rest days and at the same time not have too much time off between lifting days???

Slim Schaedle
05-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Cardio is not going to help you burn fat better or faster than lifting weights.

To answer your question about whey shakes, cardio on an empty stomach, etc.....forget it all.

Do this: Lift weights. Eat clean. Eat less calories than you need. Do cardio if you want to. Supplement with whey if you want to. Burn fat.

Slim Schaedle
05-05-2005, 09:54 PM
why am I quitting lifting and doing just cardio? Well like I said in previous posts I can't lose weight just lifting.

Yes, you can.

Shobe
05-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Well Slim Schaedle,then why ain't it working for me then? I hardly eat and I eat extremely clean and i do take whey shakes.

Slim Schaedle
05-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Hardly eating can sometimes be worse than overeating.

You would have to give me/us more details about your program/diet for me to tell you why you aren't losing fat.

Shobe
05-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Ok here it is:

Breakfast: 4 Egg whites. Oatmeal
Lunch: 2 Cans of tuna on 2 slices of 100% Whole wheat bread. Apple.
Dinner: Skinless boneless chicken or turkey burgers or steak with Brown/Wild Rice and veggies

Snack: Either 1 tablespoon of natty peanutbutter or some flax seed in low fat low carb yogurt.

I also take whey shakes after my lifting.

My lifting schedule is further up on the page. I currently do no cardio. Cause I dont konw where to fit it in.

Built
05-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Yep - go to www.fitday.com, enter a typical day's worth of food, and post up the cals and the protein, carb, and fat grams.

Slim Schaedle
05-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Piggy-backing on what Built said, without knowing your total calories, etc, your weight, and more details other than the foods you eat in general, I can't tell you the exact reason why you are not losing fat.

I do know, and my main point is, that you do not need to quit lifting and do solely cardio in order to lose fat.

I've done it
Others have done it
I'm doing it now
You can do it.

If you want to do cardio, do it after your weights, or in the morning like someone else mentioned. Or, do it on your "day 4/off" day.

Shobe
05-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Ok before we get into the whole diet thing. Just answer one question. On my non lifting days would you recommend doing cardio first thing in the morning on a empty stomach? And what should I eat after doing cardio? Would egg whties & oatmeal be good??

Slim Schaedle
05-05-2005, 10:18 PM
It it was me, I would do it some other time only b/c when I did it first thing in the morning I noticed more muscle loss than when I did it some other time in the day, or not at all.

Try it first thing in the morning, and eat a normal meal (maybe with some whey) like 15-30 mins after.

Shobe
05-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Ok, so you would do it on a empty stomach?

So a whey shake with egg whites & oatmeal would be good?

Slim Schaedle
05-05-2005, 10:21 PM
When I was doing it that way, yes, on an empty stomach. I quit doing it b/c it made me feel extremely depleted. Since your main focus seems to be fat loss, go ahead and try it that way.

The oats, egg, whey is fine

dissipate
05-05-2005, 10:24 PM
i'd recommend getting in some protein before your morning cardio. about 1 hour before if it's solid food and maybe just 1/2 hour if it's a protein shake. that should help prevent muscle breakdown from morning cardio.

p.s. i do morning cardio and that's how i do it... haven't experienced muscle loss so far.

Built
05-05-2005, 10:55 PM
I've been doing the AM empty cardio thing - wake up, knock back my caffeine pill, toss on the runners and sweats, and go straight out the door.

Fast walking for 20-30 minutes, then home to my eggwhites with one yolk.

I get in some cottage cheese and apple a couple hours after that.

Gonna start the yohimbine this weekend, and you're supposed to keep carbs away from yohimbine. I eat my starches later in the day, closer to when I lift.

So far, so good.

Shao-LiN
05-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Guys, I'm going to quit lifting all together for like 2 months and just do cardio 3 times a week. I want to get rid of this excess fat on my stomach and chest, then begin lifting again. My question is, should I continue to follow my diet I'm on now and take a whey shake after running each time?? And also, should I run on a empty stomach or eat first?

I know others have talked you out of this, but what actually possessed you to just do cardio and stop lifting? The more lean mass you retain, the easier it will be for you to cut, and the more cut you will probably look.