PDA

View Full Version : effects of fiber, fat, and casein on rate of digestion

jazer80
05-06-2005, 11:16 AM
i have always kept fiber, fat, and milk out of my pre and post workout shakes, because of fear they would slow digestion. alternatively, i usually add a couple grams of fiber and a tbsp of flax to shakes at other tiems to slow their digestion. i'm just curious, how much of a slowing effect do these have?

(i am currently on my way out the door to class and whipped together a shake with whey isolate and gatorade, and decided i wanted to slow it down, so added fiber. didn't know how much i was really slowing it down.)

Built
05-06-2005, 11:25 AM
I seem to recall reading that soluble fiber slows the rate of gastric emptying, as does fat. Insoluble fiber does not, as I understand it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/david55.htm

TheGimp
05-06-2005, 01:57 PM
If you mean flax OIL then that alone won't slow the digestion of a liquid meal. Simple physics - oil floats.

jazer80
05-06-2005, 03:49 PM
flax oil doesn't seem to separate out of my protein shakes

TheGimp
05-06-2005, 04:16 PM
How long do you leave it?

I am just going by information in threads such as this (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=36516). Bradley seems to be the originator of the idea.

jazer80
05-06-2005, 07:17 PM
i believe that if you mix it with just water, it will separate out and not slow digestion of water. but i think it may be different with milk/protein/fiber plus flax. well, i just mixed up one of my shakes and put it in the fridge. i'll check it periodically tonight to see what happens

Shao-LiN
05-06-2005, 07:51 PM
If you let it sit long enough, it will separate. It's not like it will instantly separate after you have mixed it.

TheGimp
05-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Exactly, that was the point I was making. It will separate when sitting in your stomach. Let us know what the result are :)

jazer80
05-07-2005, 03:45 PM
If you let it sit long enough, it will separate. It's not like it will instantly separate after you have mixed it.
i was gonna mix it up, then put it in the fridge. iknow it doesnt' separate out immediately....

unfortunately i was fuct up last night and forgot to check it. there was a layer on top this morning that must have been the oil or most of it

i know the oil won't mix with the water, but wouldn't it mix with the protein/fiber?

manowar669
05-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Jeez, haven't any of you guys heard of peristalsis. Stuff in your stomach doesn't just sit there like it's in a cup.

Built
05-08-2005, 08:06 PM
See, that's what I was thinking, too.

How the hell long would it have to sit in there to separate? An afternoon?