PDA

View Full Version : Powdered Oats

Anthony
05-08-2005, 04:55 PM
I decided to add oats to my feeding schedule. I'm not a fan of oatmeal, so I usually grind them in a blender and add the powder to shakes. It works well, but it's a pain in the ass blending 35 cups of oatmeal for the week. So I'm wondering - do grocery stores actually sell powdered oats? I'd check for myself, but everything is closed. ;)

CarlP
05-08-2005, 05:00 PM
I've never heard of it, but it's possible. I would eat oats a lot more if they were powdered, that way they wouldn't sink in my shakes.

thajeepster
05-08-2005, 05:10 PM
you can get oat flower at a health food store... im pretty sure that that is just ground oats.

manowar669
05-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Yup, oat flour. Or you could use oat bran, close enough, more protein, and it's everywhere.

shansen008
05-08-2005, 08:33 PM
I may be wrong but that doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of the oats? As in a slow digesting complex carb? If you powder it or use flour, youre increasing the surface area that your stomach acid will be in contact with, greatly reducing digestion time.

Or maybe im wrong, happens ALL the time.

CarlP
05-08-2005, 08:37 PM
I may be wrong but that doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose of the oats? As in a slow digesting complex carb? If you powder it or use flour, youre increasing the surface area that your stomach acid will be in contact with, greatly reducing digestion time.

That does make sense, but I really don't know.

thajeepster
05-08-2005, 08:48 PM
you can solve that problem by adding in some fats whenever you eat it... or some extra fiber.

EviscerationX
05-10-2005, 03:32 AM

It won't magically turn into high-glycemic carbs.

TheGimp
05-10-2005, 04:49 AM
It won't magically turn into high-glycemic carbs.

But surface area is a factor in digestion speed and hence glycemic index.

Geeper
05-10-2005, 11:44 AM
This could get interesting,,,,,

:windup: