PDA

View Full Version : My deadlift FAR superior to my squat... why?

KoSh
05-08-2005, 09:05 PM
I realize there's probably no good answer to my question, but I figured I'd pose it anyways...

I deadlift 510 pounds but my squat is only 350 pounds... This is odd... On the football team I'm the ONLY player on the team that squats under 400 that can deadlift over 500... Any ideas would be nice to read... Thanks.

Built
05-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Mine is, too.

I hear different opinions on this.

My chiropractor/ART guy says that the human body is designed for pulling and crawling over things, not pushing, so you SHOULD be able to dead more than you squat.

My niece the BB tells me that most people are quad-dominant, but that I'm REALLY hamstring-dominant, so that's why I can pull so much more than I can push.

I AM really strong through the hammies.

I'd love to hear other opinions on this.

KoSh
05-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Mine is, too.

I hear different opinions on this.

My chiropractor/ART guy says that the human body is designed for pulling and crawling over things, not pushing, so you SHOULD be able to dead more than you squat.

My niece the BB tells me that most people are quad-dominant, but that I'm REALLY hamstring-dominant, so that's why I can pull so much more than I can push.

I AM really strong through the hammies.

I'd love to hear other opinions on this.

Some people have told me it's my squat form... But my squat form is pretty good, I try to make it as textbook as possible, ass to the floor as well...

The hamstring/quadricep theory is interesting, though...

fixationdarknes
05-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Well, my squats owns my deadlift. I dunno...people have told me that some people are built to squat and others are built to deadlift.

CarlP
05-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Well, my squats owns my deadlift. I dunno...people have told me that some people are built to squat and others are built to deadlift.

Right. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Concentrate on improving all three of them, don't worry too much about which one is higher.

KoSh
05-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Right. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Concentrate on improving all three of them, don't worry too much about which one is higher.

Well, no kidding... I do concentrate on improving each, however I'd still like to know if there was any real reason why there was a difference in my squat and my dead...

andy51
05-08-2005, 10:51 PM
KoSh, you said that you go AFT w/ you squats. This would explain the differnce between the two exercises. ATF squats have a much longer range of motion than a deadlift and are more difficult to perform. Your parallel squat is most likely closer to your deadlift.

pinky8713
05-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Yeah, everybodys different. My deadlift owns my squat.

chris mason
05-09-2005, 08:47 AM
There are too many possibilities:

- your lower back strength is relatively greater than that of your hips/thighs

- the depth of your squat

- the relative strength of your hamstrings

- anatomy---your leverage for the deadlift is much better than it is for sqautting

The list could go on.

justhrowit
05-09-2005, 08:55 AM
I with you.....My dead is about 600, and my squat is MAYBE 500 right now!

My back is much stronger than my legs, and I have relatively long arms for my height, which, I feel helos me a lot.

J

monotone
05-09-2005, 12:10 PM
id say that your squat is more out of proportion with you bench, even though there is no corrolation between the two directly, id think you would squat more with a bench like that.

KoSh
05-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Well... My max squat is ATF, so perhaps I do squat more than 350, I've never bothered trying a parallel max lift...

All I know is my squat is pathetic...

The reason I phrased my question the way I did was because Deadlift and Squat are believed to be closely related, I realize my bench and squat are well out of proportion as well... But trust me, that has NOTHING to do with not training legs... Legs are my hardest, most intense workouts.

chris mason
05-09-2005, 01:49 PM
To say that deadlift and squat are closely related is speaking in generalities and you have been given several possibilities why your squat does not more closely match your deadlift.

KoSh
05-09-2005, 02:34 PM
To say that deadlift and squat are closely related is speaking in generalities and you have been given several possibilities why you squat does not more closely match your deadlift.

Yes, I have... Where did I say I hadn't? I appreciate all the info I've been given, my last reply was to the poster above me.

And saying that they are believed to be closely related in a generality, but I was just explaining why I chose the comparison between them, rather than the comparison between squat and bench...

chris mason
05-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Yes, I have... Where did I say I hadn't? I appreciate all the info I've been given, my last reply was to the poster above me.

And saying that they are believed to be closely related in a generality, but I was just explaining why I chose the comparison between them, rather than the comparison between squat and bench...

Huh? You quoted a statement and you are replying to some phantom question? I don't understand?

Maki Riddington
05-09-2005, 06:05 PM
I subscribe to the theory that most people are quad dominant rather than hip dominant. Mind you, if you look at their training splits their exercise choices show a lack of proper selection so that may be one reason. Otherwise, I feel that in terms of leverage, one can almost always pull more than they can push.

KoSh
05-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Huh? You quoted a statement and you are replying to some phantom question? I don't understand?

Where did I reply to a phantom question? I'm just as confused as you are... Seeing how we're both lost, let's just leave this whole thing as a misunderstanding... :)