PDA

View Full Version : My Crossfit Journal

AstronautJones
05-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Ok so I've been doing Crossfit for a few days now. I did a search and saw that a few people were inquiring about it, as was myself. I'm interested in seeing what type of results I can achieve with this type of training, so I thought it best to start a journal to track my progress, and so others can see my progress.

If nothing else, it will give me a lot of endurance and a lot of bodyweight-type strength for my BJJ training, which I am doing three times/week (Mon/Wed/Sat). Also, it is for this reason that I think this type of training would be ideal. BUT, maybe not, we'll see.

Right now I'm holding onto about 210.5 lbs. at about 11-12% BF or so I'm guessing. I'm expecting that figure to drop though, considering the 'circuit training' nature of the program.

The workout for tonight:

5 Rounds for Time:
400m sprint
50 squats

3 of the 5 rounds were completed with a time of 13:49. Squats were done with no weight, obviously. I was absolutely toast after 3 rounds. I've usually been able to finish the workouts as Rx'd but the 400's killed me.

Let's see how long this journal lasts. . .

MixmasterNash
05-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Good luck with xfit. I've done a few of the workouts and they're brutal. I can't even attempt half of the workouts, given my crap handstands and lack of olympic equipment, but I do what I can. Good stuff!

AstronautJones
05-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Mix: Thanks man. Indeed they are brutal. Gotta love the flu-like post-Crossfit symptoms ;) .

Today was a rest day Crossfit-wise. Had 2 hours of BJJ training though. Went pretty well.

Tomorrow's workout is :
21-18-15-12-9-6 and 3 rep rounds for time of:
95 pound Overhead squat
L-Pull-ups
Knees-to-elbows

Holy **** this is going to be fun!

AstronautJones
05-11-2005, 02:36 AM
Tonight's workout (as stated yesterday) was as follows:

21-18-15-12-9-6-3 Rep Rounds for Time of:
95lb. Overhead Squat
L-Pullups (I substituted regular pullups)
Knees-to-elbows

Finishing time: 56 mins. 42 seconds.

Holy holy ****. This was pretty dang intense. I subbed regular pullups for the L-Pullups because i can't even get in but maybe 1 or 2 L-Pullups, let alone a whole crapload. Also I had to break it up even further, for example: the 21 rep round I split up into 3 rounds of 7, the 18 rep round I split up into 3 rounds of 6, etc. This made it a tad bit more managable. I was going at a pretty consistent pace too, stopping only to put my head between my knees so I didn't pass out. On the 6 rep round I started to get chills/a nice little cold sweat feeling going on. That was interesting. So in retrospect I had a pretty crappy finishing time, but that's ok, I'm just stoked I got throught the whole workout. :cool:

AstronautJones
05-12-2005, 01:52 AM
Today's (Wednesday) consisted of the following:

Split Jerks
1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps.

My loads were as follows (in lbs.)
111-133-144-155-166-199-221-232-232-232

Pretty good session. I can't say I've really done much split jerk work. It was interesting/fun. I had BJJ tonight before heading to the gym to get this one in. I was somewhat surprised that I could lift over 200 lbs. over my head.

Also noteworthy: I am effing sore from Tuesday's WOD. My abs/shoulders/back got pwned on that one.

AstronautJones
05-13-2005, 03:49 AM
Today's (Thursday) WOD consisted of the following:

Run 5K

Time: 57 minutes 32 seconds

Well at least I completed it in under an hour. I'm satisfied. On my way home from the gym (I ran the 5k on a treadmill) I had to stop and pick up some Dr. Scholl's blister cushions. Blisters on both feet are in the works. Fun. Tomorrow is a rest day. And also a day to eat. LOTS.

AstronautJones
05-14-2005, 10:58 PM
Today's (Saturday) WOD consisted of the following:

Complete as many rounds as you can in 20 minutes of:
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 squats

I completed 15 rounds in 19 minutes (the gym closed).

Last time I did this workout I completed 12 rounds in 20 minutes. So I improved by 3 rounds. I was pretty worked afterwards, but not as much as after some of WOD's.

AstronautJones
05-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Today's (Sunday's) WOD consisted of the following:

Deadlifts
5-5-5-5-5-5-5 reps

My loads were:
225x5
245x5
275x5
315x5
335x5
345x5
355x5

I think that is some sort of PR for me 355x5. Not sure though, maybe not. Regardless, it was a solid workout.

MixmasterNash
05-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Today's (Saturday) WOD consisted of the following:

Complete as many rounds as you can in 20 minutes of:
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 squats

I completed 15 rounds in 19 minutes (the gym closed).

Last time I did this workout I completed 12 rounds in 20 minutes. So I improved by 3 rounds. I was pretty worked afterwards, but not as much as after some of WOD's.

Nice. first time I attempted this, I got about 12 rounds. I hear the record is something closer to 40!!!!

AstronautJones
05-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Nice. first time I attempted this, I got about 12 rounds. I hear the record is something closer to 40!!!!

Thanks man. 40 rounds!? That's really cookin'. Those CF veterans have some pretty impressive work capacity. I watched a clip the other day of a couple of guys doing a WOD that consisted of 21-15-9 reps of: 95lb. Thruster and Pullups. Both guys finished in about 3 minutes. Insane.

AstronautJones
05-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Tonight's (Monday's) WOD consisted of the following:

2 rounds for time of:
35 Double-unders
35 Back extensions
35 Box jump, 20 in. box
35 Sit-ups
75 ft. Walking lunge
35 Burpees

My time: 12 minutes 5 seconds.

I had BJJ tonight so I decided to use this WOD as an active recovery type workout. As a result I only did 1 round. I wouldn't say I "walked" through this workout, I just didn't go balls to the wall, like usual. Also I subbed 35 double unders for 70 regular jump rope reps. BJJ is somewhat tiring as well, you know.

On a side note burpees effing suck. So do box jumps, if you do enough of them.

Tomorrow (Tuesday) is a rest day.

Organichu
05-17-2005, 02:00 AM
Today's (Thursday) WOD consisted of the following:

Run 5K

Time: 57 minutes 32 seconds

Well at least I completed it in under an hour. I'm satisfied. On my way home from the gym (I ran the 5k on a treadmill) I had to stop and pick up some Dr. Scholl's blister cushions. Blisters on both feet are in the works. Fun. Tomorrow is a rest day. And also a day to eat. LOTS.

Not to be an assface, but it took you 57.5 minutes to run 3 miles?

That's about 19 minutes per mile. That's a moderate walk.

I'm not sure how you could complete some of the other circuit training and be so slow in this.

Just trying to make sure I'm reading it right, no meanness intended.

AstronautJones
05-17-2005, 03:23 AM
No. I ran 5 miles. I apparently don't know how to read the prescribed workouts. ;) Guess I was in a hurry to get it done.

Either way, it's a crappy time.

Organichu
05-17-2005, 11:05 PM
lol ok.

That's much more reasonable. Thanks for the clarification.

AstronautJones
05-20-2005, 03:27 AM
TEH UPDATE:
I was forced to skip Wednesday's WOD as I had to study for a Microbiology exam. So I picked up where I left off: Thursday's WOD. On the plate for tonight (Thursday):

For time:
10 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
1 Weighted pull-up
9 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
2 Weighted pull-ups
8 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
3 Weighted pull-ups
7 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
4 Weighted pull-ups
6 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
5 Weighted pull-ups
5 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
6 Weighted pull-ups 4
4 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
7 Weighted pull-ups
3 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
8 Weighted pull-ups
2 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
9 Weighted pull-up
1 Dumbbell Clean & Jerks
10 Weighted Pull-ups

Use 25, 45, or 65 pound dumbbells. Use one of the C&J dumbbells as the load for the weighted pull-ups.

My time: 27 minutes 01 seconds, using the 45 lb. dumbbells.

Not too bad of a time, I suppose. Exhausting. Will be back for more tomorrow. Tomorrow's WOD consists of running 5k (again). Let's see if I can run 5k and not 5 MILES this time. ;)

AstronautJones
05-21-2005, 03:35 AM
Tonight's (Friday's) WOD consisted of this:

For time:

Run 5k

My time: 34 minutes 42 seconds.

I actually did this in almost a interval-esqe fashion, running at a faster pace when I felt I had more energy, and then slowing down as I fatigued. I would say my average speed was about 6.0 miles per hour, more or less.

On a side note, I hope I am not losing too much LBM, like I said before this is just an experiment (I think I said that). Strength is (I think) pretty good, especially in pullups. I am getting pretty dang lean though, that's for sure, and my endurance is through the roof. Doing Crossfit sucks though, because in BJJ I am always the last one on the mat wanting to train while everyone else is sitting on the side sucking air. :evillaugh

AstronautJones
06-08-2005, 01:17 AM
UPDATE. Back at the Crossfit thing, this time for good, hopefully. I tend to change my mind quite frequently with regards to workouts. This is it though, I've decided to stick with this. Tonight's (Tuesday's) WOD was as follows:

"Lynne"

Five rounds for max reps of:
Body weight bench press
Pull-ups

Round 1: BP: 12 reps PU : 12 reps
Round 2: BP: 12 reps PU: 12 reps
Round 3: BP: 10 reps PU: 12 reps
Round 4: BP: 10 reps PU: 10 reps
Round 5: BP: 7 reps PU: 10 reps

The bench was done at 205 lbs. (my bodyweight). Solid workout. I chugged a bunch of coffee (w/half&half) beforehand : big mistake, a bit nauseous afterwards. This was actually Wednesday's Rx'd WOD, but I thought I would get a jumpstart on it, and do it a day early. :evillaugh

MixmasterNash
06-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Have you done other xfit workouts recently? Sunday's was the biggest bitch ever.

AstronautJones
06-08-2005, 12:54 PM
There have been a few that I did not post, but no, I haven't done a WOD recently. I wanted to do Sunday's, it looked fun, but it didn't work out with my schedule that day.

I will say that after not Crossfitting for a while (week and a half or so) I can feel my endurance slowly decline, which sucks.

AstronautJones
06-10-2005, 02:23 AM
Tonight's (Thursday's) WOD:

"Diane"

For time 21-15-9 reps of:
Deadlift 225
Handstand push-ups

My time: 6 minutes 46 seconds.

Subbed regular handstand pushups for 45 degree handstand pushups with feet against the wall, stomach facing the wall. I thought it was a pretty dang good substitute too.

I was seriously cookin' through this workout. All rounds were unbroken. I pretty much collapsed into a pile after I finished. Then the waves of nausea hit. Pretty close to meeting Mr. Pukie, too. Not today though. Very happy about my time.

In other news, I took my last final today. Summer fun is soon to come! And by summer I mean the f'ing 50 degree whether we've been having lately, and by fun I mean Chemistry, Math, and Speech classes, and by soon I mean the beginning of July. Yeah, I'm still pretty exhausted from the workout.

AstronautJones
06-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Tonight's workout :

For time :

Run 800 meters
Clean and Jerk for 30 reps
Run 800 meters

My time was 18 minutes. My load on the Clean and Jerks was 111 lbs. Meh, probably could have gone harder. I DID have BJJ earlier this afternoon though, for what it's worth.

AstronautJones
06-14-2005, 02:06 AM
Tonight's (Monday's) WOD :

Run 800m
Snatch, 30 reps
Run 800m

My time: 16 minutes even.

My load for the Snatches : 67 lbs.

Weenie weights for the Snatches. This is because I feel I don't exactly have the technique down well enough to go really heavy in the snatch, yet.

Pretty intense workout. I am pretty wiped right now.