PDA

View Full Version : Linebackers

linebckr83
05-09-2005, 10:23 AM
I am kinda new to the linebacker position and this season will be my last in high school so I am working really hard in the weight room and on the track. To all of you linebackers, what are the most important traits I need?

Isaac Wilkins
05-09-2005, 10:27 AM
You need very good burst speed and change of direction. Your top end speed is less important as you'll probably never hit it. You need to be able to accelerate very fast and be agile.

Learn to use your hands to shed blocks.

The most important part of being a linebacker is mental. You need to put in your study time and know what the other team is doing. Know your keys. This is even more important if you play inside.

KoSh
05-09-2005, 11:22 AM
As I said in the PM, the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of being a linebacker is knowing your scheme and being disciplined within that scheme... Football is a team sport, 11 guys working for one common goal on each side of the ball... All 11 people have a job to do, so it needs to be done.

Linebacker is usually a glorified position where people falsely assume all that matters are tackles, sacks, picks, etc... But, the best linebackers are the ones who do what they need to do in order for other guys to make the plays... Sure, you'll need to make some plays yourself, but you need to do whatever job you need to do within different plays... You can't always be the hero.

change of direction and acceleration are also a large part...

Isaac Wilkins
05-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Bingo.

dude34
05-12-2005, 10:29 AM
If I know that I can tell you what you will need to work on the most. Are you fast? Agile? My advice get off the track, get on the field. Do dummy drills, work on form tackling, contact you D-Coordinator to make sure you are all the same page as to what LB's do in your scheme. Your lateral speed is imperative... Are you playing inside or outside?

linebckr83
05-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Actually i do run on the field so i can break in my cleats a little before camp in 2 weeks. I was an inside strong side backer but this year i think im being moved to outside weak side.

KoSh
05-16-2005, 06:46 PM
nice, I play outside on the pass strength side...

Not sure if I can play this year... messed up my ankle during spring practice... Trainers said it was a ligament sprain and muscle strain... But a family friend who is a doctor said it looks like I may have more severe damage to it and wants me to get an MRI... :(

Optimum08
05-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Shedding blocks is most key i feel, getting those big a** lineman off of you so u can make plays....lateral speed, explosiveness, grip, and a "kamikaze" type attitude on the field as well...

Optimum08
05-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Nice man...we play a 5-2 monster type set up...with a SS type as our "monster" i usually play wide side/strong side of the field...this lets me utilize my speed and tackling ability better....

spencerjrus
05-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Reading this thread makes me want to play football again.

WBBIRL
05-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Well I never played LB, but ive been on the football field for quite some time. I was a DE/T, and an OT. I was originally a DE and OT, but after I gain about 50-60lbs he moved me inside to DT. A large part of the game is your strenght, I know it made my work a ton easier during the season... put the effort in the offseason so you wont have to put as much in during the season. LB's need speed so get your squats up there, squats are great for short sprints. Deads and Cleans will help you get off the big linemen... and being one Ill give you a tip, always go lower then they do and mirror their steps with yours. If your blitzing you wont beat a OT thats 100lbs heavier then you are unless you get under him, thats 90% of the way Ive ever gotten beat. Once you get those big guys off their balance they fall right over. Get a tight jersey too that way no one can grab it, ive seen that happen myself. Do things like runing up a hill and then back down it and then back up and back down ect.. that will help with your short distance speed. Like everyone else has said to, do your homework on your opposing teams. We have tapes of every team from every year and you learn the coaching style, Linemen will give tells of what their going to do ( well some will ). You can sniff out things like when a guys blitzing or just fakeing it ( people leave tells alot on this ). Hope this helped you

linebckr83
05-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Well its pretty much here. 6 days until the first day of camp, and this year i feel different. Every other year i felt like i had to impress the coaches all the time and when i didnt i got depressed. but this year i realize that it is me not them, they are there to make ME better and help out, i have to do it. I really feel like i can do something special and boy i have never been more ready! I cant wait to play FOOTBALL!

Mike G
05-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Good luck. As a high school LB coach the thing I always tell my kids is that you are going to make mistakes, but make them at 100% and learn from them. Don't screw up because you weren't hustling and hesitated because you weren't sure what to do. Sounds like you have the right attitude going into camp. Everyone else has already given you all the advice I give my kids, just know your job every play.

HvT_StiNs_47
05-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Im in the same position u are in, 17 normally i played conorback this year im playing linebacker... Train hard.. you will be fine trust me

WBBIRL
05-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Ive alwasy found a good workout in the weight room is worth twice as much out on the field. So in the offseason hit that iron hard, but dont let it go to much to your head... its a game and it should be fun. Give it all you have and the coaches cant ask for anymore.

IronCard 05
05-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Reading this thread makes me want to play football again.

ditto...

The_Jester
05-30-2005, 09:20 AM
looks like the majority of the people on this site are Linebackers. Interesting ;) we run a 5-2 with a monster out there like a SS. but our strong side lineman is in a 2-point so an outside linebacker, that's what I happen to play :)

Ante up
05-30-2005, 11:24 AM
I played in 4-4 d, strong sideinside...my job was to take on all the blocks AND make a tackle... best part about beein an inside backer is that u get respect from everyone on the field