PDA

View Full Version : For all you Peanut Butter Fans out there... Scary!

GonnabeBig
05-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Hey yall, anyone who is a fan of peanut butter like WAS should check this link out... kinda scary....
http://www.thepaleodiet.com/fatsnuts.htm

AKraut
05-09-2005, 10:58 AM
So according to that website trying to sell a book and 2 studies, natty pb isn't good for you...

I predict that this will not be received well, natty pb is king of these parts...

GonnabeBig
05-09-2005, 11:04 AM
I know i know, natty pb has been a staple of my diet for year and a half now... hold on, that was just one of like five sources my professor had forwarded me, more to come shortly

hoser813
05-09-2005, 11:04 AM
uggh, i think pb tastes good. Ill continue to eat it.

Rik-s
05-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Couldnt give it up if i tried tbh :D

/goes for the toast,pb+jam :D

Shark
05-09-2005, 11:19 AM
I wish I hadn't read that. Man that sucks!

monotone
05-09-2005, 11:21 AM
youll die somehow eventually

Atomical
05-09-2005, 11:57 AM
I want to die while being chased by 30 naked women.

neartaigh
05-09-2005, 12:00 PM
That`s for the Paleo Diet.

South Beach recommends no steak.

Atkins says no string beans.

Every diet guru has it`s prohibited foods. Since most of us aren`t doing the paleo diet, I wouldn`t really worry about eating peanuts.

You can`t believe everything you read applies to you.

Canadian Crippler
05-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Why would you be running from 30 naked women? :D

Atomical
05-09-2005, 02:42 PM
I guess you've never seen Monty Python...

Asylum
05-09-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm doomed. I'm gonna die then......

CarlP
05-09-2005, 04:35 PM
You can probably find bad qualities about any food or drink. You can't eat anything these days without it being bad for you or killing you later in life.

spencerjrus
05-09-2005, 04:39 PM
You can probably find bad qualities about any food or drink. You can't eat anything these days without it being bad for you or killing you later in life.

:withstupi

Just eat your food.

GMCtrk
05-09-2005, 05:06 PM
"Peanuts are not nuts" :micro:

darius19
05-09-2005, 06:21 PM
:withstupi

Just eat your food.

Agreed. Everything will kill you in large doses, literaly! Just eat the damn food, everything has benefits and risks, but if benefits outweight the risks then its worth it. For gods sake, I bet there are studies that stuff such as milk is bad for you (there actualy are). Who cares, eat it damnit.

YungLifter
05-09-2005, 07:11 PM
If people are going to read something and see one thing that is said to be bad about it their going to end up drinking water all day. You can eat anything as long as you don't over do it. If you like PB just pick the healthier choice which is Nat pb over reg pb. YOUR NOT GOING TO DIE B/C OF PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!!!

CarlP
05-09-2005, 07:23 PM
If people are going to read something and see one thing that is said to be bad about it their going to end up drinking water all day. You can eat anything as long as you don't over do it. If you like PB just pick the healthier choice which is Nat pb over reg pb. YOUR NOT GOING TO DIE B/C OF PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!!!

Unless you choke on one of the dried chunks at the bottom. ;)

EviscerationX
05-10-2005, 03:19 AM
Meh...I still love my PB...you can never take that away from me!!

CarlP
05-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Meh...I still love my PB...you can never take that away from me!!
You would have to pry the jar from my cold dead hands. :burger:

Shao-LiN
05-10-2005, 07:09 AM
You would have to pry the jar from my cold dead hands. :burger:

Which may happen according to the article!

Rolf Eder
05-10-2005, 07:38 AM
"Peanuts are not nuts" :micro:
Botanically speaking, that is.

Doobs
05-10-2005, 11:16 AM
If people are going to read something and see one thing that is said to be bad about it their going to end up drinking water all day.
There's studies about too much water being bad for you too. It was on 20/20 or some sh!t a couple weeks ago.

Beholder
05-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Yeah too much water can actually kill you. But it takes alot of water...ALOT.
I read an article about some e-tard chick that drank too much water and ended up killing her(and it wasnt due to the E)

CarlP
05-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Wouldn't you puke long before you drank enough liquid to kill you? Excluding alcohol.

Beholder
05-10-2005, 12:02 PM
You would think so but your stomach can hold pretty close to 4L. And since water is absorbed fast and its minute trace of minerals it can be harmful.
It has to do something with Sodium retention and the swelling of the brain.

WBBIRL
05-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Yea basically, I always go for atleast 64oz of water and I almost never get more then 128oz's

I like PB and probably eat it once every other day or every 3 days. I dont think you can die from PB but it does have some high fats. Im not that smart about fats so I dont know if their the "good" or "bad" ones.

Shao-LiN
05-10-2005, 07:43 PM
There's studies about too much water being bad for you too. It was on 20/20 or some sh!t a couple weeks ago.

It's what we call drowning =P.

Vitalize
05-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Scary?
Not really...That web page is soooo shabbily put together..I cant take it seriously at all.
Sorry to say so but, Loren Cordain dosent look healthy in the slightest.
If its all the same I will just ignore this b o l l o c k s.
Milk, cheese, tuna, eggs, beef, poultry, and now natty PB .... **** it all
Im gonna eat what I need to eat.

dagr8n8
05-11-2005, 07:31 PM
yeah./.. iv always ate natt almond butter :-D .. just liked it better and later herd it was better for you :-D

GEOFF361
05-12-2005, 06:24 PM
wtf is almond butter?!?! anyway..this article made me sad; PLUS in my anatomy class, we had the head doctor or whatever of mass general hospital come in and give a lecture. he brought in some organs from dead patients, and one of them was a ..i dunno, some cancerous organ, but it was covered in cancer and he said, "yahhh, y'know this cancer can often be brought on by components of peanuts, so if you are gonna eat peanut butter, go for the jiffy or the peter pan, you should really stay away from that natural peanut butter" i almost **** my pants. I like natty PB, but when the god damn director of mass general tells me specifically not to eat natty pb, i will never eat it again! he also showed us a brain that was eaten by bread mold fyi,uggghhh

getfit
05-12-2005, 06:36 PM
almond butter is just like pb but made with almonds instead! real yummy! you can buy it at any natural food store

JTyrell710
05-12-2005, 07:29 PM
I bet there are studies that stuff such as milk is bad for you (there actualy are). Who cares, eat it damnit.

There is practically a cult devoted to hating milk.
i think the url is
http://www.notmilk.com

if not, just search "Not Milk" on google.

I've come to the conclusion that everything is bad for you. Even bodybuilding is bad for you, its been said that it can lead to cardiac hypertrophy. Oh no. Guess I'll just lock myself in a room where the iron and natural peanut butter can't find me. :shoot:

GonnabeBig
05-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Okay, sorry it took so long, but these are the journals I had originally come across... Sounds much more credible, and isn't quite as horrible... Still, the data is there, something to consider...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=6324825&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7225168&dopt=Abstract

MnM
05-13-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm sure down the road they will say NPB is great for you. When they have studies on foods they are always changing there outcomes. One day its bad, then the next its good.....To much of anything is bad for you. I think if its in moderation your fine.

muscle chic
05-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Hmmm.... interesting but I don't buy it. Peanuts make you poop as long as they're not mixed with sugar so I can't believe any remains in the body.

Wierz
05-13-2005, 12:34 PM
I read a while ago that they linked milk consumption to parkinsons disease...

This just in!!.. Water is bad for you***

***if you take a 6" needle, jam it up your nose, and inject it in your brain

All these studies have different criteria and procedures that can be tweaked to obtain results they want. Then they can publish only the results they want you to see and throw the rest out. Moral of the story, don't believe everything you read.

AllUp
05-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Milk, cheese, tuna, eggs, beef, poultry, and now natty PB .... **** it all
Im gonna eat what I need to eat.
:thumbup:
Lesser of two, er.. (insert # here) evils.

In the end just eat, Something can be good for you and after having eaten/consumed it for years, a study will come out saying it can have a negative impact on health.

Eat up..

AllUp
05-13-2005, 02:28 PM
All these studies have different criteria and procedures that can be tweaked to obtain results they want. Then they can publish only the results they want you to see and throw the rest out. Moral of the story, don't believe everything you read.
Exactly, I read an article stating negative effects of Vit's C, E and others -in extremely high dosages ofcourse.. I should scan it in when I get a chance. :o

And god forbid they list the hundreds of studies claiming its benefits when taken at proper dosages.

zer06ame
05-14-2005, 09:59 AM
****, i'm gonna kill myself, i used to (trying to cut) eat about a jar of pb every 1.5-2weeks, and i drink almost 250oz of water a day, if i don't i get EXTREMELY thirsty

shansen008
02-18-2008, 01:36 PM
The Paleo diet is all about eating like a caveman. It goes back to our evolutionary roots as animals, albeit highly intelligent ones. The formal guideline for a Paleo type of diet is to eat meat/fish, vegetables, nuts, a little fruit....and thats IT. Thats the type of food we evolved on, and thats what we should be eating.

The reason they say no peanut butter is because a peanut is not actually a NUT, it is a bean. Beans are not aloud on the paleo diet. Along with seeds of any type. The reasoning behind this is that seeds and beans (and other legumes) have naturally occuring toxins in them to keep animals from eating and destroying them. Thus when an animal eats something with a seed or bean in it, it usually swallows but does not chew...the seed or bean is then left in droppins and can grow into a new plant.

Humans discovered that by cooking them we can neautralize most of the toxins and the food becomes tolerable to us. This makes the amount of calories we can extract from any given environment higher, and thus we were able to reproduce more successfully. Some toxins remain but not enough to usually cause an acute problem. But over time these toxins can build up in the body causing issues that we nromally just correlate to "getting old".

The Paleo diet has a lot of science behind it, and a lot of theory...and while it may sound strange an unbelieveable, it is only so because society has become accustomed to how weve been doing things for so many years.

I have been following crossfit and Paleo for over a month now, and i feel better than i have since i was a teenager. So while im not a scientist, personal experience says to me that it works.

DId you know that you arent supposed to eat most grains/seeds/beans unless they are cooked? This is because of the high level of toxins in them...think about that. Eating flour raw is harmful to humans.

Dont be so quick to discount something, try to keep an open mind.

EDIT: Hehe sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but i thought it was a good one, and what i added i felt needed to be added. ;)

bjohnso
02-18-2008, 06:19 PM
The original link is dead. Why is natural pb bad for you?

Torrok
02-18-2008, 07:23 PM
sombody want to give me that link some other way, lmao its not working for me, or just sum all that up for me? ^_^

DirtyRobot
02-18-2008, 07:24 PM
almond butter is just like pb but made with almonds instead! real yummy! you can buy it at any natural food store

It's so expensive though :(

The almond butter at Costco is the most reasonably priced I've seen.

Torrok
02-18-2008, 08:02 PM
There is practically a cult devoted to hating milk.
i think the url is
http://www.notmilk.com

if not, just search "Not Milk" on google.

I've come to the conclusion that everything is bad for you. Even bodybuilding is bad for you, its been said that it can lead to cardiac hypertrophy. Oh no. Guess I'll just lock myself in a room where the iron and natural peanut butter can't find me. :shoot:

LOL oh thats halarious. thanks that gave me a good laugh

bjohnso
02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Bump.

JoeG
02-19-2008, 10:35 AM
B. Peanut (Arachis hypogaea)
native to central/south America
took to Africa then came back with the slaves
alfatoxins - extremely toxic (carcinogenic); chemicals produced by mold contaminants
Virginia - brown skinned, 2-seeded
Spanish type - red skinned, 3 or more seeded
flower above ground, pedicel elongates and buries fruit (legume)

Looks like the toxin from peanuts is really from a mold that can grow on it.

So don't eat moldy peanuts and you're fine.

bjohnso
02-19-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't eat plain peanuts usually, just peanut butter. Is natty pb bad for you?

kevowamo
02-19-2008, 01:04 PM
this waiting game for the link is killin me. im ready to eat some natty pb on my banana, but im stallin. (sort of, i have almond butter too...which is better, as some others have said)

zen
02-19-2008, 01:12 PM
so beans/seeds/legumes have toxins in them???
is that the part that's science or is that the part that's theory?

[edit] first hit on my google search: http://www.living-foods.com/articles/sproutmyths.html

shansen008
02-19-2008, 08:02 PM
so beans/seeds/legumes have toxins in them???
is that the part that's science or is that the part that's theory?

[edit] first hit on my google search: http://www.living-foods.com/articles/sproutmyths.html

I believe the reason they (legumes) are not aloud is mostly due to the anti nutrient content which your link provides some information on. Im not saying Paleo diets are the be all end all of how we should eat. But there are people on the earth who still eat that way, and oddly enough they dont exhibit many of the diseases that "modern man" has been suffering from. Such as diabetes to name one.

I am personally giving it a shot as a change of pace, it will be difficult at first. Ive been eating Paleo for about a week now, and not only have i discovered that there are many veggies i like that i had never tried...but so far im feeling great. Ive even dropped 5 lbs. Of course most of that is water weight, since Paleo is naturally lo carb. Never the less...i see those abs coming in ;).

shansen008
02-19-2008, 08:15 PM
http://beyondveg.com/cat/paleodiet/index.shtml

Lots of very good info here on the Paleo way.

Also this particular page has a nice table of information put together, it can be found under the original link, i just figured id make it easy to find. The table is very intriguing to me, especially the drastic changes in height and lifespan as we start eating more cereal/legumes.

http://beyondveg.com/nicholson-w/angel-1984/angel-1984-1a.shtml

Its far from conclusive, but it really makes you think. Modern man is so in love with how intelligent we are and all the things we can achieve, maybe we overlook the simple stuff too often.