PDA

View Full Version : Calories or protien

Kylethechaotic
05-09-2005, 11:06 PM
So, say im working out and im getting over my bodyweight in protien and not getting quite enough calories, will my muscles still get bigger?

Shao-LiN
05-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Not much. It's not calories or protein, it's calories and protein. But, in reality, every macro counts. Carbs and fat contribute as well.

smalls
05-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Yeah, protien without excess cals will lead to 0 growth. I've gotten over 500g of protein a day consistently and not grown on a number of ocasions. Calories are the key.

EviscerationX
05-10-2005, 03:11 AM
Your diet should consist mostly of good carbs, protein, and fats. Getting in plenty of calories while maintaining a healthy diet will help you build muscle. Also, drink plenty of water, but don't overdo it [like to the point where it makes you sick].

WBBIRL
05-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Calrioes are ok if their good calories, with the majority being from proteins then carbs and then fats. Chicken, Beef, and lean Pork are all good main staples in a diet. Pork rinds are a good snack that arnt bad for you. Exercise correctly also for the growth stimulation, IE lower weight and higher reps.

smalls
05-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Calrioes are ok if their good calories, with the majority being from proteins then carbs and then fats. Chicken, Beef, and lean Pork are all good main staples in a diet. Pork rinds are a good snack that arnt bad for you. Exercise correctly also for the growth stimulation, IE lower weight and higher reps.

I'm really not trying to be rude by saying this. But you should have a better understanding of what your talking about before actually giving others advice. Just a suggestion.

CarlP
05-10-2005, 07:26 PM
I've never, ever, ever heard someone suggest pork rinds.

Shao-LiN
05-10-2005, 07:39 PM

Was with you up until you said pork rinds. Calories are good if they are good calories, I guess you can say that. I guess that is your way of saying to "eat clean". But, as long as you are getting lots of calories, cheating won't be all that detrimental.

smalls
05-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Also getting the majority of your cals from protein is most likely not going to be very adventagous to someone trying to gain weight.

EviscerationX
05-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Most of the calories should be coming from complex carbohydrates...even though that seems like a difficult task.

Canadian Crippler
05-10-2005, 11:07 PM
I don't think you'll find one pro bodybuilder who eats "clean" on a bulk. If you're bulking in the 3000 or even 4000 range, by all means eat healthy. But there's a point where steamed veggies and brown rice just won't cut it anymore.

Built
05-10-2005, 11:13 PM
EviscerationX, would you PLEASE stop spouting "carbs all around, for all"? Some of us don't handle a high-carb diet very well. I can't. Even bulking, I have to be VERY careful with my carb intake - carbs increase my appetite like you wouldn't believe. And I eat carbs - hell, I'm eating chicken noodle soup as we speak. But I don't take the majority of my calories from them. For that, I rely on protein and fat.

There's nothing magical about the ratios. The magic is in the calories and the grams of protein. The amounts of carbs and fats are a personal balance point - and it's different for everybody.

EviscerationX
05-10-2005, 11:26 PM
EviscerationX, would you PLEASE stop spouting "carbs all around, for all"? Some of us don't handle a high-carb diet very well. I can't. Even bulking, I have to be VERY careful with my carb intake - carbs increase my appetite like you wouldn't believe. And I eat carbs - hell, I'm eating chicken noodle soup as we speak. But I don't take the majority of my calories from them. For that, I rely on protein and fat.

There's nothing magical about the ratios. The magic is in the calories and the grams of protein. The amounts of carbs and fats are a personal balance point - and it's different for everybody.
Everyone's diet is different, and each person has their own individual needs concerning nutrition. My apologies for all the carbo babble. I know they aren't the alls all end all factor regarding nutrition. I'm just on a "I hate low carb diets" frenzy after seeing all these crappy Atkins products in the health store. It's like they don't provide you with good low-carb foods, just the same crappy foods like candy bars with less carbs. I won't even ask how they get 60gram bagels to 4grams. They must be doing something illegal, and they taste horrible.

Anyway, I know you're a fan of lower carb muscle training, and I'm glad you can handle it, because a lot of others cannot...like myself. I can't live without them, so I went a little overboard on the carb talk because I'm a big fan. ;) If your body is going through hell on a certain diet, it's probably a good indication that you should stop doing it. Whatever makes you feel good and makes you feel like you're making progress, that's probably the best way to go.

Built
05-10-2005, 11:37 PM
Thanks. I couldn't agree more.

I feel GREAT on lower carbs, IF my fats are high enough.

But ... I just don't get a pump without the carbs.

So I weigh my portions and I watch my calories like a HAWK on my higher carb days. I could literally eat ALL DAMNED DAY on higher carbs, even if they're the so-called slower carbs.

And for the record, I STARTED with Atkins. I was NOT an athlete then - I was an overweight, middle-aged woman with high cholesterol and taking Metformin.

I didn't buy any of the carbage crap because there WAS none.

I read the book and did the diet the way it's SUPPOSED to be done, not the way people THINK it's supposed to be done. My diet was mostly vegetables, meat, nuts, health fats, and eggs. My health returned, I got off Metformin, and my cholesterol dropped while I dropped bodyfat.

I got vain and discovered bodybuilding at about the same time, and quickly realized I had to start using carbs strategically or I wasn't going to make any progress.

If I'm careful (and BOY, and I careful!), I control my appetite, my weight, my blood sugar, and my cholesterol. But it wasn't easy. Straight low carbing was. It just wasn't going to get me all the way to my physique goals.