PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to NPB

Progress
05-10-2005, 09:01 AM
I'm allergic to all nuts but almonds. I eat almond butter but it is awful and I also try soy butter but it has sugar and not quite the benefits of peanut butter. Is there anything else I should try?

getfit
05-10-2005, 09:30 AM
have you ever tried cashew butter? or chestnut butter not sure if you'd be allergic to those

Progress
05-10-2005, 09:48 AM
have you ever tried cashew butter? or chestnut butter not sure if you'd be allergic to those

Thanks, but yeah those are both on the list of allergies.

TheGimp
05-10-2005, 10:13 AM
You don't like almond butter? :(

I'm not familiar with soy butter, but if it's made from soy beans then surely it has better nutritional content than PB.

PB is not the be all and end all, I rarely eat it myself.

What does PB provide that you are trying to replace? Lots of calories? There are plenty of calorie dense foods.

Jabberwocky
05-10-2005, 10:17 AM
olive oil

Progress
05-10-2005, 10:59 AM
You don't like almond butter? :(

I'm not familiar with soy butter, but if it's made from soy beans then surely it has better nutritional content than PB.

PB is not the be all and end all, I rarely eat it myself.

What does PB provide that you are trying to replace? Lots of calories? There are plenty of calorie dense foods.

I like the Soybean Butter but I just don't know if it is healthy enough for me.

Here are the NFs for Soybean Butter:

Serving size: 2 Tbsp
Cals 170
Total Fat 11g
Sat. Fat 1.5g
Sodium 140mg
Carb. 10g
Fiber 2g
Sugars 3g
Protein 7g

Ingredients: Roasted Soybeans, Soybean Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Soy Protein Isolate, Evaporated Cane Juice (Sugar), Salt, Mono and Diglycerides (derived from Vegetable Oil).

Does this mean it has trans fats?

I'm using it as a bulking food.

TheGimp
05-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Personally I would say that looks fine as a bulking food. Soy beans have more (and higher quality) protein and, iirc, a better lipid profile than peanuts. Like you say it has sugar, but given that it's mixed in with a high fat food with reasonable amounts of protein I can't see it digesting that quickly. Not sure on the trans fats issue as I'm not entirley sure what mono and diglycerides are :)

Progress
05-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Personally I would say that looks fine as a bulking food. Soy beans have more (and higher quality) protein and, iirc, a better lipid profile than peanuts. Like you say it has sugar, but given that it's mixed in with a high fat food with reasonable amounts of protein I can't see it digesting that quickly. Not sure on the trans fats issue as I'm not entirley sure what mono and diglycerides are :)

Thanks, Gimp. But there's one problem...It really sticks to my mouth. :D From what other people say, it's even stickier than peanut butter!

Drai's
05-10-2005, 02:30 PM

That's what I'm wondering too. People on this site love PB because it tastes good and it's a fairly healthy fat. There's lots of BETTER fats out there though, they just probably don't taste as good.

Shao-LiN
05-10-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm allergic to all nuts but almonds. I eat almond butter but it is awful and I also try soy butter but it has sugar and not quite the benefits of peanut butter. Is there anything else I should try?

As a source of fat? Olive oil, flax oil, beef, etc. etc.

Progress
05-11-2005, 06:21 AM
That's what I'm wondering too. People on this site love PB because it tastes good and it's a fairly healthy fat. There's lots of BETTER fats out there though, they just probably don't taste as good.

There are a lot of recipes that include it also. It works well in shakes too.

Drai's
05-11-2005, 08:40 AM
There are a lot of recipes that include it also. It works well in shakes too.

Very true, but it doesn't mean there are not multiple alternatives.

ReelBigFish
05-11-2005, 10:07 AM
Hey Progress, are you allergic to seeds as well. I know there are pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, and seasame seed butters available.

this place sells the pumpkin and sunflower seed butters.
www.futtersnutbutters.com

_8_Ball
05-11-2005, 10:26 AM
How about taking in other fats like fish oil, flax?