PDA

View Full Version : lotion and tattoos (hurt!) question

Stabber
05-10-2005, 04:34 PM
I got a tattoo yesterday. It looked like it needed some moisturization when I got home today, so I put some unscented lubriderm on it. What a mistake. 1 minute later it started burning pretty bad so I jumped in the shower and washed it gently with Dial soap.

I then applied a little A&D. The tattoo looks ok, but the area is red. The stinging is gone.
Should I be ok? I hope I didnt shorten the life of my tattoo or anything...

-also, is it normal to see tiny little black dots on your skin after you wash your tattoo. I'm guessing it's just residual ink?
thanks

Beholder
05-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Why dont you call your tatoo artist and ask him?
I am pretty sure he would know better then most.

Max-Mex
05-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Use some bacitracin. When I got my tats, that's what I used (it was recommended by the artist and other peeps who got tats) for a week or so. After that, I was just using regular lotion.

Stabber
05-10-2005, 05:14 PM
thanks fellas. I'm using A&D lotion. My artist recommended this. But I couldnt find it (left it at work I realize now) when I got home. Thats when I tried the lubriderm. My main concern is that i damaged the tattoo or shortened its life.
How would I know?

For what its worth: It doesnt hurt anymore like it did earlier.

Thanks

ps: waiting for tattoos to scab up SUCKS

Max-Mex
05-10-2005, 06:27 PM
As long as you keep the tat mostiurized, then it'll be fine. Also, put sun screen on it when you go outside (if you have that area bare). The sun will make the tat fade over time.

BBar23
05-10-2005, 10:35 PM
don't get your tat wet for 2 weeks....wrap where ever you got it in seraine(Sp) wrap when u shower...didn't your artist tell how to take care of it? and for the near future, when it scabs, don't pick at it!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-11-2005, 12:39 AM
Aveno Oatmeal lotion has 24 hour moisturization and feels really great on the skin. It's rather expensive, but if you can pony up the dough, it's worth it.

and for the near future, when it scabs, don't pick at it!
That's the number one thing you DO NOT want to do.

ericg
05-11-2005, 02:51 PM
AnD should be used for a few days (until it is scabbed over), THEN you use the unscented lubriderm as necessary.

I dont think you damaged the tat at all. Its just that you put some lotion on an open cut (which is what at tattoo is) so it burned, sounds normal to me.

Use sunscreen if you dont want your tat to fad over time.

leanmuscle
05-11-2005, 02:54 PM
You want to make sure that you are not using a lotion with any kind of alcohol in it, use only A&D ointment. Using other things will make your tat fade.

CarlP
05-11-2005, 04:51 PM
They told me plain Johnson's baby lotion, which I'm assuming is free of alcohol and other stuff, since its for a baby's sensitive skin.

Stabber
05-11-2005, 06:58 PM
AnD should be used for a few days (until it is scabbed over), THEN you use the unscented lubriderm as necessary.

I dont think you damaged the tat at all. Its just that you put some lotion on an open cut (which is what at tattoo is) so it burned, sounds normal to me.

Use sunscreen if you dont want your tat to fad over time.

Sounds good thanks

Leanmuscle: You're right. I looked and lubriderm has cetyl alcohol. Thats what must have caused the burning. So far so good with the A&D. Will do the same routine I did with my other tats. A&D first few days as Eric suggested, then moving to lubriderm.

BTW: How much will the tattoo fade over time? Say 20 years from now
Thanks guys

BBar23
05-11-2005, 07:07 PM
i have 2 tats...got one when i was 16 and one when i was 18. I am 23 now and they both look as good as the day I got them. No fading yet! I took all the percautions though. I wasn't going to f*ck something up on my body, ya know.

Stabber
05-11-2005, 07:08 PM
what precautions did you take? Sunscreen? I dont mind if they fade a little. I just dont want them to dissapear lol

CarlP
05-11-2005, 07:52 PM
what precautions did you take? Sunscreen? I dont mind if they fade a little. I just dont want them to dissapear lol
I don't think you have to worry about them disappearing.

neartaigh
05-11-2005, 08:33 PM
They wont dissappear...lol. I`ve had mine for 12 years and they are all still bright. Just use 15+ sunscreen on them.

Of course, a lot of fading has to do with the quality of ink your tattoo artist used. That part, unfortunately, is out of your hands already.

Not a big deal though-- even if it does fade a bit or look a bit smudgy in a few years, you can always go back to the tattoo artist (or to another one even) and have them touch it up for you.

Stabber
05-12-2005, 06:46 AM
lol thanks guys , i just had to ask.

This place has been around a while. My cousin got a tattoo done about 5 years ago and it still looks new. Of course, they change tattoo artists a lot. But the owners have always been the same people. I hope they used the same quality ink on me

Sc00t
05-12-2005, 05:43 PM
This whole thing reminds me of that time as a young teenager when you try to put some aftershave on your balls and find out, painfully, that your scrotum skin is COMPLETLEY different to your regular skin.

It hasn't shortened your tattoo's life, it was just God's way of saying "yeah, I'm the daddy!" Heh. Any pics of the tat yet?

Stabber
05-12-2005, 07:53 PM
This whole thing reminds me of that time as a young teenager when you try to put some aftershave on your balls and find out, painfully, that your scrotum skin is COMPLETLEY different to your regular skin.

LMAO!!! I thought I was the only one who did that.
No pics yet, I'll snap some when it heals.

Alex.V
05-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Actually, you can get it wet almost immediately, just make sure you do pat the area dry and disinfect it. It's basically an open wound, though a superficial one at that. Don't worry, the ink isn't going anywhere. Sun and allergic reactions (i.e., anything that affects the skin on a cellular level) are the only things that are really going to make them fade.

Stabber
05-13-2005, 08:00 PM
thanks for all the feedback guys. I really appreciate it.

I noticed its starting to peel and scab. Do I continue with the a&d or go to lubriderm?
thanks

Ellocodetroit
05-18-2005, 07:22 PM
I don't have any tattoos but my members of my family who have tattoos use neosporin on their new tats.

ericg
05-19-2005, 06:45 AM
thanks for all the feedback guys. I really appreciate it.

I noticed its starting to peel and scab. Do I continue with the a&d or go to lubriderm?
thanks

Once it dries out (stops "leaking") and has scabbed over you should use the lubriderm. Try not to peel the scab off. That could be hard if it is a large tat cuz it will itch like a bitch.

MartinJK
05-27-2005, 08:26 AM
Simple tattoo precautions:

1. Keep it moisturized for about two weeks, or untill your skin becomes smooth again and all the skin has peeled. (Dont ever pick it)
2. Dont soak your skin for 2 weeks also. Taking a shower is ok, but dont go swimming.

On another note, dont worry about your tattoo`s fading. What you see on old man is due to the fact that most of those tattoo`s were mostly home made.
:)