PDA

View Full Version : Eating before bed

threatmix
05-11-2005, 06:21 PM
I've heard that you should eat right before bed(especially protein) because that is a major time in which your muscles heal. I've also heard that you should not eat anything right before bed because your metabolism slows down so much that anything you eat before bed will just be stored as fat(especially carbs). So, what do you guys think about this, and is it different for cutting/bulking?

Built
05-11-2005, 06:22 PM
That's nonsense.

Eating before bed can actually help you preserve lbm.

I do it, bulking OR cutting.

Edited to add link: http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/127/1/75?

threatmix
05-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Okay, thanks for the info.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Eating before bed isn't bad. Eating before bed when you're fat, lazy and don't exercise is bad. If you're getting in good nutrients, like fast and slow digesting proteins, you're doing your body a favor at nite, and lessening the affects of your catabolic sleep mode.

Built
05-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Even if you're fat and lazy, eating before bed isn't bad.

OVEREATING, at ANY TIME of day or night, is what'll get you.

I was having a lot of trouble with night time hunger. I've started saving a few more of my cals to eat in the evening, and by doing so, I'm a lot more comfortable dieting.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Even if you're fat and lazy, eating before bed isn't bad.
Depends on what you're eating. Fat and lazy people don't usually pick something healthy to eat for a midnight snack. They'll pass over the apple for a bucket of bon bons.

Built
05-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Still doesn't matter. As long as the calories don't go over maintenance, that's not what does it.

It's not the eating part. It's the OVEREATING part.

waynis
05-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Still doesn't matter. As long as the calories don't go over maintenance, that's not what does it.

It's not the eating part. It's the OVEREATING part.

I kinda agree if your within maintnence your fine but let's say you haven't ate much all day.. to compensate you eat what you need for
maintnence right before you go to bed. Will your body properly digest all those calories right before bed?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-11-2005, 07:11 PM
You're right about the overeating part, but the reason it can be bad is because it can mess with your sleeping pattern, and the length which you sleep. Eating fatty foods before bed slows down the emptying of your stomach during sleep and creates some bad indigestion, which is never fun.

Built
05-11-2005, 11:15 PM
I've never had any trouble eating a fatty meal and going to bed.

I must have a cast iron stomach or something!

Waynis, (and I'm speaking hypothetically here, I have NO idea if this is the case) if you don't digest all the calories, wouldn't that mean you'd get less calories into your body? How would that be a bad thing if you're fat? :)

smalls
05-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Built is correct. But some people DO like to overdo it before bed causing them to consume too many total cals. Still, no need to debate the average slob here, as none of us fall in that category. The calorie is once again king.

thajeepster
05-12-2005, 01:19 AM
I eat a cup of cottage cheese and 2 tbsp pb everynight... I wash the bowl, then hop right into bed... im probably asleep 15 mins later. I havent gained an ounce...

unfortunately :(

smalls
05-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Make it two cups of cottage cheese and 4 tablespoons of PB. Have you ever tried sugar free jam in cottage cheese, it's the ****.

waynis
05-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Waynis, (and I'm speaking hypothetically here, I have NO idea if this is the case) if you don't digest all the calories, wouldn't that mean you'd get less calories into your body? How would that be a bad thing if you're fat? :)

YOu have very valid points. The only problem I can see then would be indigestion or some people can't sleep when eating a big meal right before bed.

Built
05-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Mmmmm.... Christmas....

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-12-2005, 03:08 PM
I've never had any trouble eating a fatty meal and going to bed.

I must have a cast iron stomach or something!

Fat people don't have great digestive systems. You on the other hand, being the carved statue that you are, wouldn't have the same digestive problems. ;)

Built
05-12-2005, 03:15 PM
<blushes!>

:kiss:

smalls
05-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Fat people don't have great digestive systems. You on the other hand, being the carved statue that you are, wouldn't have the same digestive problems. ;)

I dont mean to pick on you bro, but misinformation is misinformation. How is it that all overweight people have a different functioning digestive system than a more fit person. Kind of a blanket statement wouldnt ya say.

And again the original poster didnt need info on fat people he was questioning the importance of nutrients, especially protein, before bed. Which was addressed by built very nicely.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-12-2005, 03:33 PM
People who are in great physical condition have better working digestive systems than obese individuals.

smalls
05-12-2005, 04:31 PM
This isnt even an important enough topic to discuss. But plaese realize that blanket statements are usually incorect. As is that one.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-12-2005, 06:34 PM
I know I shouldn't make generalized statements that apply to one particular group. So I'll just refrain from doing so.

waynis
05-12-2005, 06:43 PM
People who are in great physical condition have better working digestive systems than obese individuals.

I'am in great shape and have leaky gut syndrome. Also many people have irritable bowel syndrome. Could be hormone imbalance or in my case probably Enzyme deficiencies. Past history with alcohol or prescription drugs might have helped the case also. Some people can't take down whey protein.. all the sudden they are in the bathroom 15-30 minutes later. I know what you mean that fit people are generally healthier in a lot of ways but many fat people have perfectly working digestive systems.. they just eat too much or junk so of course the body is going to have trouble digesting that.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-12-2005, 10:27 PM
I can't stomach whey protein. Makes me very uneasy. Egg white/casein powder I can handle. That would really suck to have IBS, like in Along Came Polly. :p

Shao-LiN
05-12-2005, 11:32 PM

Please explain.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Um...did you guys not read all the other posts? It's been talked about. I corrected myself, leave it be...it's dead.

smalls
05-13-2005, 01:16 AM
Yeah, and actually that was very impressive to admit and correct that mistake. Most people lack that ability, especially on the internet, so props for that.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-13-2005, 02:21 AM
Yeah, and actually that was very impressive to admit and correct that mistake. Most people lack that ability, especially on the internet, so props for that.
Well, I'm in a place full of knowledge here, so it would be wise to take advice from others.

spencerjrus
05-13-2005, 05:15 AM
I just ate a whole pizza as I write this, its 4am, almost time for bed. Im bad I know.

Max-Mex
05-13-2005, 05:17 AM
Mmmmmm....pizza....

Shao-LiN
05-13-2005, 07:10 AM
I did too. Had 31g of protein in it and almost whole wheat crust =P.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-13-2005, 06:15 PM
I like pizza. There's nothing like grabbing a cold slice of leftover pizza from the fridge when you're starving.

Built
05-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Well, I'm in a place full of knowledge here, so it would be wise to take advice from others.

Wise also to question it.

:)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Wise also to question it.

:)
Well yeah, that too. ;)

waynis
05-13-2005, 08:07 PM
I can't stomach whey protein. Makes me very uneasy. Egg white/casein powder I can handle. That would really suck to have IBS, like in Along Came Polly. :p

That would suck.. atleast with leaky gut i'am not running to the bathroom all the time cause I have it under controll. The problem with it though is foods can become toxic because of improper digestion. Also if I don't take my enzymes I have trouble digesting protein. ANd that's a big hurting when tryingt to gain muscle. I just developed it this year and I noticed all the sudden I seemed to plateau in training and I lost al ot of strength this year. I think that had some to do with it.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-13-2005, 08:12 PM
That would suck.. atleast with leaky gut i'am not running to the bathroom all the time cause I have it under controll. The problem with it though is foods can become toxic because of improper digestion. Also if I don't take my enzymes I have trouble digesting protein. ANd that's a big hurting when tryingt to gain muscle. I just developed it this year and I noticed all the sudden I seemed to plateau in training and I lost al ot of strength this year. I think that had some to do with it.
:( I'm sorry that you have that problem. You definitely don't want to eat hot dogs. Instead of the liver filtering the food to make use of its nutrients, the preservatives in things like hot dogs and bologna, turn into a toxic substance that can lead to cancer. I've given up on chili dogs...even though it can be hard times when the fam is cooking some up.

waynis
05-13-2005, 08:15 PM
haha.. i don't think i've had a hot dog in over 2 years! Sometimes I wonder if my diet is too clean. My one doc told me that after going so clean you start to become allergic to foods you don't eat or don't eat often anymore because you don't develop those enzymes anymore. I know i've developed some excema in the past few months out of no where. I'am definetly becoming allergic to more foods lately. It sucks.. Seemed like my stomach was better when I ate junk!! But because of my hypoglycemia I can't eat junk really anymore cause it all effects my blood sugar. Yeah I got problems..:/ can't really win. LIfting with hypoglycemia is harder because I can't take in the higher amount of simple carbs that may be benificial before or after workouts.

bodybuilderdw
05-13-2005, 08:30 PM
Before i go to bed i eat 1 cup of cottage cheese and 1 to 1.5 tbs peanut butter on lite wheat bread

bigsethmeister
05-17-2005, 03:07 PM
I'm cutting right now and I still eat right before going to bed. Usually 1 cup of 4% fat cottage cheese. Seems to work fine for me.

bodybuilderdw
05-17-2005, 03:38 PM
I eat cottage cheese and peanut butter before bed everynight so my muscles have something to build off when im sleeping.

MasterOfPuppets
05-17-2005, 03:41 PM
I always eat 1% cottage cheese, 2 tbsp. of natty pb, flax seed oil and some milk before bed. Don't drink too much, though. You'll piss like A horse! :D

-MOP :D :cool: