PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Cardio A Bad Thing?

USMCGETTINBIG
05-12-2005, 01:01 PM
I am currently serving in the Marine Corps and have recently got back into heavy weight training. I train with weights 4 days a week, but my command also has me doing anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes of cardio daily. Is this much cardio training going to slow me down on strength and size gains? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LCpl Trainer
USMC
"Be polite, Be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

darius19
05-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Haha i like your quote...
Anyway I thkink if you eat enough you should be OK. If youre looking for size you prolly wont gain any unless you eat an excess of calories (which would mean a ton if you do so much cardio) but you should gain strenght either way I believe. Maybe somone can prove me wrong.

KingJustin
05-12-2005, 02:05 PM
You run into 2 big problems:
#1 - You are going to be training a lot. This means that it will be hard not to overtrain, especially if you don't get a good night's rest or plenty of food.

#2 - As was just said, you are going to be burning a lot of calories running. If you don't have an excess in calories (which will be very hard considering all the cardio), then you won't be able to gain weight, and in turn your gains in muscle will be very minimal.

My suggestions: Do a full body routine 2.5x a week, eat a lot and consider taking ETS.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-12-2005, 02:11 PM
I train with weights 4 days a week, but my command also has me doing anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes of cardio daily. Is this much cardio training going to slow me down on strength and size gains?
It may effect your gains, but you should be splitting your cardio and weightlifting at different times of the day. Since you'll be burning a significant amount of calories, you'll need to eat eat EAT! like darius said. Keep your caloric intake high so you don't sacrifice any muscle. But doing 45-90 minutes of cardio and then weightlifting can be negating to muscle gain...so keep a fairly long timespan between cardio and weightlifting.

And don't forget to EAT!! That's all I can think of to tell ya right now.

waynis
05-12-2005, 03:06 PM
EAT and EAT a lot!! If you want to maximize your weight training gains. Also your burning more calories so you need to take in more. Get plenty of rest.. I know that can be a big issue in the marines.

Unholy
05-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah just beg for extras at the mess hall.

wrestlemaniac
05-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Count your cals and weigh yourself. If you don't gain weight then add more calories. :thumbup: