PDA

View Full Version : Confusion about trans fats, 2 questions

Progress
05-12-2005, 06:18 PM
1. Why, on this bag of Cheetos that is sitting on my lap :D, does it say 0g of Trans Fat yet there is partially hydrogenated soybean oil in the ingredients. The fat breaks down like this:

Total Fat: 10g
Sat. Fat 1.5
Trans Fat 0g

2. Why don't they breakdown the rest of the fat? Why are Nutrition Facts so inconistent among different food? I know they haven't been out forever, but is this just a slow evolution of them or what?

Built
05-12-2005, 06:24 PM
1. Cheetos aren't good for you. Don't eat them.

2. They get to say no trans fats if a "serving" has less than a gram. So they rig the serving size to ensure that there is under a gram in a serving. Oh, and Cheetos aren't good for you. Don't eat them.

Wild Cat McCane
05-12-2005, 07:49 PM
all knowing

Beautiful

and married

:cry:

JTyrell710
05-12-2005, 08:24 PM
1. Why, on this bag of Cheetos that is sitting on my lap :D, does it say 0g of Trans Fat yet there is partially hydrogenated soybean oil in the ingredients. The fat breaks down like this:

Total Fat: 10g
Sat. Fat 1.5
Trans Fat 0g

2. Why don't they breakdown the rest of the fat? Why are Nutrition Facts so inconistent among different food? I know they haven't been out forever, but is this just a slow evolution of them or what?

This is incredibly weird. Today in my english class, i was staring at a bag of doritos and was wondering the EXACT same thing. I assumed they just rounded down. Thats scary though.

Shao-LiN
05-12-2005, 10:00 PM
If you look at a nutrition label on most food, you can add up the calories from all the macros and notice that there are phantom calories in there. It's from rounding down. Hell, even a packet of splenda isn't calorie free, they just get to round down to 0.

Progress
05-13-2005, 06:01 AM
1. Cheetos aren't good for you. Don't eat them.

2. They get to say no trans fats if a "serving" has less than a gram. So they rig the serving size to ensure that there is under a gram in a serving. Oh, and Cheetos aren't good for you. Don't eat them.

Just so you know, I bought the bag as a party favor for a party I'm going to tonight. No big deal, I guess I'm just slowly poisoning my friends. :D

I don't like deception on nutrition facts.