PDA

View Full Version : Bulking with olive oil...wtf

Wild Cat McCane
05-12-2005, 09:41 PM
So I tried some olive oil yesterday. OMG you guys seriously do that to your stomachs?

Do you guys...you know...get gassy when you take this? It killed me! And I NEVER get indegistion.

EJFan
05-12-2005, 09:52 PM
some people are more sensitive to fats and oils than others.

give your body some time to adapt to it if it's something you're not used to eating... the gas is just your system rebelling against new chemistry.

GMCtrk
05-12-2005, 10:34 PM
olive oil is a way of life....for people like me (and my family) NOT having olive oil in a food is the oddity. I've grown up on the stuff, and I down it no problem. At one point I was drinking 1/4 cup of it in the morning :)

spencerjrus
05-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Olive oil is ambrosia.

Shao-LiN
05-12-2005, 10:57 PM
My body naturally produces massive amounts of gas and crap throughout the day, I don't notice any additional production from olive oil.

getfit
05-13-2005, 03:04 AM
olive oil is a way of life....for people like me (and my family) NOT having olive oil in a food is the oddity. I've grown up on the stuff, and I down it no problem. At one point I was drinking 1/4 cup of it in the morning :)
:withstupi yep i grew up with olive oil as well

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-13-2005, 03:24 AM
:withstupi yep i grew up with olive oil as well
:withstupi Me too. :) It's the oil I use most for cooking with.

AKraut
05-13-2005, 08:15 AM
I put olive oil in my shake the other day and it completely ruined the taste, I'm gunna stick to just frying my eggs and chicken with it for now...

Max-Mex
05-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Frying is ok as long as the temperature stays at a reasonable level. From google:

Can I fry with olive oil?
Yes, you can fry in olive oil.
Olive oil, as with any fatty substance, deteriorates during frying especially if it is used over and over and if the frying temperature is very high. High temperatures destroy the good ingredients of any oil and create harmful agents for the liver, the arteries and the heart. These harmful agents are less likely to be created in olive oil than in all known vegetable oils. This is because olive oil has a high percentage of oleic acid, which is much more resistant to oxidization than the polyunsaturated acids, which are found in large amounts in seed oils. Also more importantly olive oil contains natural anti-oxidizing agents such as phenols and vitamin E.

Progress
05-13-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm Italian by descent, I sweat olive oil.

hemants
05-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Olive oil tastes fine in chocolate whey shakes but is a bit strong for vanilla.

But if you're going to add oil to shakes, why not flax?

EJFan
05-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Frying is ok as long as the temperature stays at a reasonable level. From google:
(snip)
Olive oil, as with any fatty substance, deteriorates during frying especially if it is used over and over and if the frying temperature is very high. High temperatures destroy the good ingredients of any oil and create harmful agents for the liver, the arteries and the heart.

i know olive oil has a high smoke point... is there a correlation between smoke points and the tendency for oils to "corrupt" at various temps?

Bruise Brubaker
05-13-2005, 06:20 PM
I've tried drinking olive oil a couple of times and just taking a tablespoon almost makes me puke. It's almost like a reflex, my body just doesn't want it.

Den Fisher
05-13-2005, 09:22 PM
I put it in my protein shake once.. and it just floated to the top.

AllUp
05-16-2005, 12:27 PM
I take a small swig of EVO oil 2-3x daily. Calorie dense for the serving size, beneficial and is good w/PB or cheese for helping to cram some quick cals. :)