PDA

View Full Version : Bulking Vegetarian style

Palpatine
05-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Can a bodybuilder get away with not eating meat? And if so what are the best substitutes?

hoser813
05-13-2005, 07:47 AM
do you consider nuts meats?

hemants
05-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Bill Pearl and countless others have done it so you can too.

If you don't take dairy or eggs it would be more difficult but still achievable.

Do a search on Steve Holt vegetarian bodybuilder. His web site has a sampler menu.

getfit
05-13-2005, 08:17 AM
Yup! i'm vegetarian and get plenty of protein intake i do eat eggs and drink milk!

the one
05-13-2005, 08:38 AM
wow a bulking diet with no meat...mmmmm.

getfit
05-13-2005, 09:19 AM
never had a problem i haven't eaten meat since i was 13

manowar669
05-13-2005, 09:37 AM
I think Corey Everson is a Vegan. I didn't know Bill Pearl was a vegetarian though. It can be done, just harder, and the volume of food is very high (that's without dairy or eggs). With dairy and/or eggs, no problem. Soy can help, but for men, I'd avoid more than 2 servings of soy a day. Women can go nuts with soy.

TheGimp
05-13-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm a vegetarian, take a look at my diet in my journal (link in my sig and you'll probably have to go back a page to get to anything interesting).

the one
05-13-2005, 11:39 AM
and getfit, if im not mistaken your female correct? that in itself is completely different from a guy bulking.

getfit
05-13-2005, 11:47 AM
and getfit, if im not mistaken your female correct? that in itself is completely different from a guy bulking.
correct :)

TheGimp
05-13-2005, 12:29 PM

How so?

getfit
05-13-2005, 12:38 PM
How so?
correct Gimp gender doesn't play a role when you're bulking!

gino
05-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Just eat meat. Humans have for thousands of years, so why stop now.

BossHawg02
05-13-2005, 01:10 PM
man that would be the hardest thing for me to do....my diet revolves around red meat....

getfit
05-13-2005, 01:11 PM
true, but some people prefer not to :)

the one
05-13-2005, 01:43 PM
its much different because women ( in general) need less cals to bulk on, when they bulk they arent going to get to heavy like a man who may be bulking to 260 like i am. thats why it is completely differetn so if you guys dont understand that then just think about it. it is COMPLETELY different based on the number of kcals needed to gain b/t a man and a woman.

and i agree with gino, just eat meat. we're humans thats what were supposed to do./

getfit
05-13-2005, 01:48 PM
its much different because women ( in general) need less cals to bulk on, when they bulk they arent going to get to heavy like a man who may be bulking to 260 like i am. thats why it is completely differetn so if you guys dont understand that then just think about it. it is COMPLETELY different based on the number of kcals needed to gain b/t a man and a woman.

and i agree with gino, just eat meat. we're humans thats what were supposed to do./
i understand your point the one! but never really liked meat even when i was little my mom had a hard time feeding me meat, i didn't like it at all.

the one
05-13-2005, 01:53 PM
oh, sorry i thought you didnt see where i was coming from. and you really thought there was no difference b/t the two in regaurds to meat consumption.

TheGimp
05-13-2005, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't say it's completely different, all you're talking about is less calories. What's the difference with an underweight male?

the one
05-13-2005, 04:11 PM
alright gimp then just be difficult man. if you dont see the point then you have a problem, or your just being a dikk

the one
05-13-2005, 04:12 PM
and heres a difference with an underwiehgt male, hes still a male, naturally haveing more lean mass, requiring more kcals just to maintain.

TheGimp
05-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Hey I am just trying to understand your point in detail. In particular as you seem to think that a small detail - calories - makes things "completely" different.

Ok your point is that females need less calories to bulk because they have less lbm, therefore it's ok for getfit to be a vegetarian? (Lean) meat is not that calorie dense unless I am mistaken? The fact is that once you are consuming 1g / lb of bodyweight in protein a day, the limiting factor in muscle growth is going to be calorie intake, and given the amount that needs to expended in order to use protein for energy via gluconeogenesis these calories are more easily attained with carbohydrates and calorie dense fats.

the one
05-13-2005, 04:34 PM
you helped me out here gimp. Guys that weight more, need that extra protein hence my whole point of its harder to bulk without red meat. women dont need as much protein so getting it from other sources is easier. i never said its OK to be a vegetarian? that was never stated ( i mean it is ok but thats irrelevant) and gimp that 1g/lb of bw, isnt the be all end all that you make it out to be. and how is the amt of calories a small detail, its the MAIN detail involved with bulking.

TheGimp
05-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Small was perhaps the wrong word. Single is probably better. My point is that there are other things involved in bulking such as training routine and the breakdown of said calories. I don't think it's right to say that a female who is bulking is playing a completely different game to us males.

Take a 150 lb and a 200 lb individual (Dunno how much you weight gf :)). Getting in those extra 50 grams of protein is easy, just a couple of shakes if you are feeling really lazy. Getting in the extra calories however is the problem and protein sources generally aren't that calorie dense.

the one
05-13-2005, 04:59 PM
ok i see where your coming from but, for every 1lb of lbm an individual has thats an extra 50 or so kcals burned by their metabolism. so its not just a matter of gettin and extra 50 grams of prtoein, but also those extra cals. also i made it sound so compleletly differetn cuz i was taking getfit (who i have no idea what she weighs but lets just say about 130-140) and myself who weighs 255 and thats a huuuuge difference so obviousdly our diets will be different in regards to amoutn of food, kclas, etc.

the one
05-13-2005, 05:00 PM
oh my bad, just reread your post and you mentioned the extra kcals sorry.

getfit
05-13-2005, 05:20 PM
i weigh 152 guys :)

spencerjrus
05-13-2005, 10:42 PM

:withstupi

Human beings are biologically designed to consume meat.

hemants
05-17-2005, 03:21 PM
"Human beings are biologically designed to consume meat."

This is getting off topic and not productive to the original poster's desire for information.

That being said, we are biologically EQUIPPED to eat meat but not particularly well designed to. Try eating raw meat the way carnivores do for a week and you'll see what happens.

Our closest genetic relatives are primates and they eat meat only when necessary.

ELITENUB
03-28-2006, 09:36 AM
:withstupi

Human beings are biologically designed to consume meat.

We are also designed to use choice. For many, its liberating to know that you can survive and grow without having to eat animals that were bred in mass to be slaughtered and eaten. And growing on a vegetarian diet with no meat is quite easy and quite possible.

With bulking, I like to use shakes with peanut butter and olive oil mixed in milk, also with a banana, ice cream, whey and yogurt. All combined you can easily get 1600 cals per shake , 2 times a day and your well on your way to a good bulk. The fats are rather high, but they are good fats. As previously stated, creatine works well on a vegetarian bulk. Along with eggs and other sources of protein, you can make your numbers very well rounded for a bulk diet.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=1337NUB