PDA

View Full Version : How many cals should my sister get?

Nate
05-14-2005, 12:42 PM
she is trying to lose weight
she is 125 right now and is getting 1200 cals a day
she says she isn't losing weight though
shouls she get less cals/day?

Shao-LiN
05-14-2005, 01:20 PM
She exercising? I, personally, wouldn't cut cals lower than what she's at now.

Built
05-14-2005, 01:22 PM
1200 is too damned low.

How much protein is she getting, and how tall is she?

spencerjrus
05-14-2005, 01:48 PM
If she cant lose weight at 1200 cals @ 125 lbs then something is wrong.

Built
05-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Indeed. There are a LOT of women with thyroid problems that have been brought on by severe dieting like this. Has she been to see a doctor?

darius19
05-14-2005, 03:02 PM
My breakfast alone is 1200 calories...
In fact she is eating near of below her BMR. Assuming she doesnt lay in bed all day, she should (let me rephrase), she HAS to lose weight. She must be losing weight right now, and if shes not there is a problem.

I think insted of diating she should probably gain weight if anything, although it depends on how tall she is.

Shao-LiN
05-14-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm guessing that she lowered it to extreme levels too fast. I would suggest upping the calories to maintenance for 2 weeks, then gradually decreasing them again.

Built
05-14-2005, 03:29 PM
This would be a good idea, provided she knows what her maintenance levels ARE, and provided her metabolism hasn't slowed down too much.

She may need to increase them slowly - by say an extra 100 daily calories for a couple of weeks, then another daily 100 calories for another couple of weeks.

How is she eating? And is she training at all?

Shao-LiN
05-14-2005, 04:21 PM
I doubt she actually does know her maintenance levels, so a good estimate to work with is 14xbodyweight. I don't think you should ever drastically increase and decrease calories. A gradual approach is always best when transitioning between diet to maintenance to bulk or vice versa, or else you may traumatize your body into a reaction you do not desire.

Nate
05-14-2005, 06:39 PM
well she has hypo thyroidism but she is taking meds for it so i dont see how it should be an issue

i (try to) take her to the gym with me every day and i give her a light workout that's semi full body(i do like most upper little lower one day, then the reverse) but it's so light that i doubt she is anywhere near over training

then i have her come with me in the mornings while i do light cardio and she does moderate/intense cardio

but really she only gets into the gym and does either like every other day

she is about 5'5"

Built
05-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Ahhhh - the hypo thyroid monster at work!

She MAY need to up her meds slightly (tell her to talk to the doc), and I'd suggest backing off the cardio and increasing the intensity of the lifting.

She will need to be reassured that on reduced cals, this will NOT make her bulk up - quite the contrary - it'll merely help her hang on to lbm while dropping fat, which is, of course, what she wants, even if she doesn't know it yet.

Otherwise, she'll risk having a softer, skinny-fat build, and it won't matter HOW thin she gets - she WON'T be happy with the result.