PDA

View Full Version : Post workout Shake??????

bodybuilderdw
05-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Hey im 6 foot, im 17, i weigh 148lbs. Right now my post workout shake is 2 scoops of optimum whey, 23 grams of dextrose, 23 grams of maltodextrin, 10 grams creatine, 10 grams glutamine, 5 grams taurine.
What i was wondering is do i really need carbs right after i workout? Or can i just take whey protein without the dextrose and maltodextrin and still get great results? Or are the carbs really needed?

Ironminded
05-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Take the CARBS!!! A big part of working out is useing glycogen stores in the muscle, and the carbs post workout help to replenish those. If I were you, and you are open to some suggestions, I would drop the Glutamine. A lot of people here, and I am one of them with personal experience with it, have found that Glut has little or no affect when taken as a supplement. If it works for you by all means continue, but this might be a way to save some money.

That being said, keep the carbs post workout, your body needs those to replenish your glycogen stores, and to either get it out or a catabolic state or keep it from going into a catabolic state. Plus at 6' adn 148 the extra calories arn't going to hurt, its not like gaining weight would be a bad thing. Unless you are a serious rock climber or something.

Shao-LiN
05-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Fat accumulation is not something you need to worry about after you have worked out.

bodybuilderdw
05-14-2005, 01:51 PM
So i should not use glutamine when bulking, but use it during cutting phases?

Built
05-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Glutamine is a bit of a hot potato these days. BBs used to SWEAR by it, but T-mag and some other sources came up with studies over the last few years that appear to refute its utility.

I take it, but I'm the first to admit that I may be wasting my money. I believe it's helping my gut more than anything, but for me, that's enough. It also seems to be helpful in settling down food cravings, at least for some people. You really need to take a lot of it though - 20+ g a day is not excessive.

I would submit that if you get any utility out of it, it will probably be more useful during cutting, when you get less food, then during bulking, where you get more (and hence more glutamine from your food).

My .02

Maki Riddington
05-14-2005, 02:17 PM
The only time I saw it being effective was when I was taking 20+ grams per day on a low carb program. It definitely helped me in terms of recovering a lot quicker.

Ironminded
05-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Sorry, I did not mean to say that you SHOULD not take Glut, just that it might be something to consider droping and seeing how things go. If you drop it and don't notice much of a difference you might be able to save some money.

Hey, if it works for you, as it seems to work for Built, then more power to you. However, it might be something to play around with and see if you can get along without it.

Hope that helps. Also, sorry for any misunderstanding.

Built
05-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Ironminded, I didn't think your suggestion was unwise.

I generally consume lower carbs than most, and I suspect that glutamine may be more helpful for those of us who cut this way.

But it's not the essential that it was once considered. If you're budgeting, save your money for whey.

Chizniz16
05-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Hey im 6 foot, im 17, i weigh 148lbs. Right now my post workout shake is 2 scoops of optimum whey, 23 grams of dextrose, 23 grams of maltodextrin, 10 grams creatine, 10 grams glutamine, 5 grams taurine.
What i was wondering is do i really need carbs right after i workout? Or can i just take whey protein without the dextrose and maltodextrin and still get great results? Or are the carbs really needed?

You might want to consider only taking 5g's of creatine and Glutamine. Most people I know take 5 insted of 10. I didnt bealive it at first, but try it and see if the resluts are the same. If you do this both products will last twice as long.

canadianbuilder
05-14-2005, 06:14 PM
23 grams of dextrose, 23 grams of maltodextrin, 10 grams creatine, 10 grams glutamine, 5 grams taurine.

What do you take all that stuff for?

Built
05-14-2005, 08:05 PM
The whey, dex and malto with creatine are good. I'd drop the creatine down to 5g.

canadianbuilder
05-15-2005, 12:00 PM
The whey, dex and malto with creatine are good.

They are good as in they taste better, or they help your body better?
Thanks Built.

Optimum08
05-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks Built.

u should do some searching..because a question like that could get u majorly flamed...and back to the topic at hand...i would drop the creatine down to 5 g. a day and drop the glutamine unless its providing u with results that u can tell...

smalls
05-15-2005, 01:16 PM
How is your overall diet and caloric intake. Your PWO shake doesnt do a damn bit of good unless your diet as a whole is in line with your goals.

Built
05-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks Built.

LOL! Most bb don't care WHAT something tastes like, provided it works.

Malto/dextrose for fast carb, whey for fast protein, and 5g creatine would be a good mix for a post workout shake because this combination will work well to help repair the damage you do in the gym.

What's the rest of your diet like? Your body is NOT made by the post workout shake. You've got to have the rest of your diet dialled in, too.

canadianbuilder
05-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks Built, that helps.

u should do some searching..because a question like that could get u majorly flamed...and back to the topic at hand...i would drop the creatine down to 5 g. a day and drop the glutamine unless its providing u with results that u can tell...

I'd search, but last time I was on the search hasn't been working...for the last few days. Otherwise I would have searched first.

For the future though, when the search is working I will search before I ask that kind of question.