PDA

View Full Version : Lactose intollerant people...

canadianbuilder
05-15-2005, 06:21 PM
I am lactose intollerant. I was wondering for the rest of the people (if any) on this website are affected by whey protein since the whey comes from milk? I was planning on ordering 5 pounds of ON why (unless there is abetter kind, I will search when the search is fixed) but I don't want to be affected by one serving...having to waste the rest.

I'm not affected too bad... but if I eat a medium sized bowl of *gasp* icecream, the next day my nose may be congested or I will have a sore throat...not all the time though.

Anyone affected by it?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Whey does a number on my stomach...more than any other milk products. When I'm downing any kind of protein shake with milk, I take 1 or 2 lactose enzyme supplements with it and also flax oil (the pill form) or fish oil, and it doesn't do anything to my stomach.

I have lactose intolerance pretty bad, but taking milk enzyme supps makes it seem like the problem isn't even there. You should try it out. Some protein powders actually have the enzymes mixed in to prevent protein/milk digestion complications, but I prefer to buy them myself.

canadianbuilder
05-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Alright, I take plant enzymes, which have a little bit of lactose enyzmes. I'll try finding some lactose enzymes online when I order my whey. Does the fish/flaz oil help too, or do you just take them at the same time anyway?

Thanks!!

little_man_88
01-01-2006, 09:10 PM
should have seen this before i posted. i saw an add for isopure. its 100% lactose free. i was thinking about ordering it. i have really bad lactose intolerance. I tried the pills but they really do not help me out.

waynis
01-01-2006, 09:27 PM
ON whey comes with lastase in the mix to help you digest the lactose. I don't notice any issues from it. I've also been taking ON for a couple years now. If I drink a lot of milk I will get congested though and have more mucus.

MrM
01-01-2006, 10:57 PM
I went with ISOPure

Spartan936
01-01-2006, 11:28 PM
The majority of people can overcome lactose intolerance by steadily increasing the amount of dairy in one's diet. The good bacteria in yogurt helps especially. The body learns to produce lactase again. Milk used to send me to the bathroom, now I regularly drink a gallon a day.

Just my opinion. Without dairy I would have serious problems meeting my daily goals for protein and calories (5000 cals). I'm a big fan of milk.

waynis, I seem to experience the mucus effect too, but I wonder if it is not just paranoia, as I have found zero evidence that milk makes people congested. Who knows. I started a huge thread on milk awhile back, if someone wants to find it.