PDA

View Full Version : Changed Diet !!! (WOW)

boxingtigger
05-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Wow!! I went and saw a person about my meal plan last week and everything got changed. My total intake is totally different. I've got to admit so far it has been worth the cost. Even though I am eating more, my energy has gone up, alot. Today, was a back day and last week I had just increased my weights and struggled to get all my reps and sets. But today, I actually got my weights and sets and actually had to increase all weights by 10lbs per set. I actually feel stronger since the diet change. Can a diet change make this much of a difference this fast? Or am I going through just a mental change because I think its the diet? Either way, I can't be more pleased. Tomorrows chest day, I'll see if I have the same luck...

Built
05-16-2005, 10:26 AM
What was your diet before, and what is it now?

boxingtigger
05-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Isopur Protein
4 Egg whites
1 cup non-fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup dry oats
1 large banana
Protein Pudding
3 Chicken Breast
1 cup brown rice
1 can albacore tuna
2 MRP
6-8oz fish for dinner
veggies

2200 cals, 150 carb., 325 protein

boxingtigger
05-16-2005, 10:44 AM
I am now upto about 2800 cals with 57% protein, 37% carb, and 6% fats. I will have to wait till I get home to actually put up the actual foods. Still learning what to eat when. Today looks like:

1 cup dry oats
5 egg whites
6.5 oz protein pudding

1.5lbs of some chili recipe

9oz of chicken
1.25 cups brown rice
3.5oz fresh green veggies

1 can tuna
3/4 cup cottage cheese

9oz fish
3.5oz fresh green veggies
sweet potatoe

Built
05-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Why so low in the fats?

LC
05-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Boxingtigger, what is your age, height, and weight?

Wild Cat McCane
05-16-2005, 11:38 AM
food is the most anabolic substance out there.

Good job on cutting the albacore tuna. Deep fish=mercury.

Regular light tuna is much better.

AllUp
05-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Oi fats do seem a little low unless you're supplementing. By the looks of it, you're only getting ~5-7g of fat from the fish assuming its cooked w/cooking spray or baked.

Throw some EVO oil & fish oil or flax in teh mix, nuts are also a decent alternative. :)

mihorne
05-16-2005, 11:46 AM
6% from fat? that is not very much. Why no fat?

boxingtigger
05-16-2005, 12:01 PM
I am not completely sure why the fat % is so low. I was told that this diet would help me cut my bf% and help me maintain my current weight. That is the only thing I could think of why fat% is so low. As far as supplements, my MRP do have some fats in them. Maybe, they were taken into the diet but not shown. He does not count any of my supplements for my diet. He does not believe in supplements at all. So my MRPs and morning protein aren't even factored into my daily diet.

spencerjrus
05-16-2005, 12:15 PM
I am not completely sure why the fat % is so low. I was told that this diet would help me cut my bf% and help me maintain my current weight. That is the only thing I could think of why fat% is so low. As far as supplements, my MRP do have some fats in them. Maybe, they were taken into the diet but not shown. He does not count any of my supplements for my diet. He does not believe in supplements at all. So my MRPs and morning protein aren't even factored into my daily diet.

You need to be eating more fat, I would reccomend daily supplementation of some kind of oil.

Bruise Brubaker
05-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Even though I am eating more, my energy has gone up, alot.

Maybe the main reason why you are more energetic is that you are eating more?

Canadian Crippler
05-16-2005, 11:07 PM
Even though I am eating more, my energy has gone up, alot. Yeah I know! Can you believe that taking in more energy will make your energy go up?!?! Freakin amazing! ;)

spencerjrus
05-16-2005, 11:28 PM
Even though I am eating more, my energy has gone up, alot.

Ludicrous.

hemants
05-17-2005, 03:14 PM
You've gone from 150g carbs to 250g and your energy has gone up....go figure.

Slim Schaedle
05-17-2005, 03:59 PM
You need to be eating more fat, I would reccomend daily supplementation of some kind of oil.

Please tell me why he needs to be eating more fat.

Built
05-17-2005, 04:12 PM
A few reasons to consume sufficient fat:

Hormone and enzyme production (including test)
Immune response
Brain function (neurotransmitters, nerve sheathing)
Insulin sensitivity
Essential fatty acids (linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid) that cannot be produced by the body.
Fat is also a carrier of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K.

Slim Schaedle
05-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Very true. I was just addressing spencerjrus's blanket tatement that he needs to take in more. If boxing tigger cuts up well on this diet and everything else you mentioned functions correctly, then his fat intake is acceptable and his body type may be better suited for lower fat.

For example, a moderate carb, relatively higher fat diet did notheing for me. I bumped up the carbs alot and lowered the fat and I easily got withing 5-10% BF.

Just saying that everyone is different.

Built
05-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Many people get better muscle growth from higher fats, especially saturated animal fats, because of the test response.

I'm one of 'em.

And you're quite right - everyone responds differently to the ratios. You have to find your balance.

But 6% of calories from fat is, IMHO, dangerously low. Even the most extreme dietary considerations rarely have fats lower than 15-20% of calories.

ryuage
05-17-2005, 04:27 PM
I feel I lean out better on lower fat as well, but higher fat is more satiating

Slim Schaedle
05-17-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm taking a closer look at his diet/fat content and...

Let's say 6 grams come from the oats.
2 grams from the rice (yes, it seems insignificant)
9 grams from the chicken
and 27 grams from the fish (i plugged salmon into my program, not sure what kind of fish this is)

So that's 44 total grams/day not counting the chilli. That's 396 calories which would be about 14% of his 2800 calories per day.

This meets the adequate intake for a typical adult.

Built
05-17-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm going by this:

I am now upto about 2800 cals with 57% protein, 37% carb, and 6% fats.
And even if it's 14%, this is still REALLY freaking low-fat.

Works for some I guess.

I'd feel like crap on that, personally. And I'd be worried that he isn't getting enough EFAs if his fats are this low.

Considering carbs are a non-essential nutrient, it would seem prudent to cut them back a smidge to add in a little more fat. Not saying low-carb here, just a little bit of a different balance point.

My .02

Built
05-17-2005, 04:51 PM
And bodybuilders aren't "typical".

:)

Slim Schaedle
05-17-2005, 04:53 PM
I admit I am probably partial to the low-fat since my body responds so well and opposite to how you respond. But as far as EFA amounts go, it would be enough according to my textbooks (granted, they are not bodybuilding manuals)

Adequate omega 6 intake is 17g for men, 12 g for women
Adequate omega 3 intake is 1.6g for men and 1.1g for women.

He would still exceed these amounts two-fold.

Built
05-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Yes, provided he's getting in this much EFA.

We don't know this.

Getting a little more fat into his diet won't HURT, and can help ensure adequate levels of these EFAs. (Personally, I'm not interested in adequate nutrition. I want OPTIMAL nutrition. But that's just me. )

Plus, fat's damned TASTY!

:drooling: <eyes jar of natty PB lovingly>

Slim Schaedle
05-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Don't worry, I'm not disagreeing with you, but I really wanted spencerjrus to answer my question :)

And yeah, if that fish is the typical canned tuna then that screws everything i just calculated

Built
05-17-2005, 05:01 PM
N/P, and thanks for the note.

I'm the first to admit the ratios are different for everyone.

Which is remarkable enough in itself.

[/end threadjack]

:)

shansen008
05-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Don't worry, I'm not disagreeing with you, but I really wanted spencerjrus to answer my question :)

And yeah, if that fish is the typical canned tuna then that screws everything i just calculated

Correct, you used salmon, which is relatively high in good fat. If it were canned tuna/whitefish/just about any other fish, then it wouldnt contain nearly as much.

Damnit now im hungry mmm, salmon.

Owen
05-18-2005, 03:25 AM
I admire you folks who can really talk nutrition. It still feels a little like rocket science to me. :-)

boxingtigger
05-18-2005, 07:14 AM
I really find it interesting that the fat is such an area of concern. I will be addressing the fat intake this weekend. Yes, most of the fish I am eating is salom. I try not to eat anything out of a can, except the tuna.

boxingtigger
05-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks everyone for taking time to look at my new diet. Your input will help me greatly.

Slim Schaedle
05-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Yes, most of the fish I am eating is salom.

Score 1 for Jeff (me) :indian: