PDA

View Full Version : Beer Gut

mattanshrager
05-16-2005, 10:37 AM
delete

getfit
05-16-2005, 10:39 AM
i guess then you're gonna have to start cutting down on eating! do you train at all?

Built
05-16-2005, 10:48 AM
The gut is diet. Drop some bodyfat, and the gut will go. Not all fat is sub cutaneous - a hard beer gut is basically "marbled" fat in the muscle.

harv
05-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Dude I'm confused. Sounds like you have a high metabolism and "defined" abs...but they "stick out"?? Is it your build? You can be pretty lean with solid abs but your mid-section can "stick-out" from your chest on a side profile because of the way your built (curved back?) I know this because I'm the same way. Is this not what you mean?

Big Bas
05-16-2005, 11:44 AM
i dont understand... do you have pics of this anomoly

AllUp
05-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Hit up teh lovehandles and abs and trim some bf, by the sounds of it you may have a hyooge 6pack under it. I say this because if you see someone w/big abs gain weight, it kinda looks like what you describe. Having lovehandles exaggerates this look as visually, it removes the arc of the back to teh pelvis making it look like a straight line down(making ones standing posture look like the individual may have a big(ger) gut.).

mattanshrager
05-16-2005, 12:45 PM
put this thread on hold...i'll take a flexed and nonflexed picture when i get home

WBBIRL
05-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Well at 6 ft 1 inches tall and only 175lbs you shouldn't have much a gut at all. You should only need to lose a minimum of like 20 lbs to be cut.

mattanshrager
05-16-2005, 02:27 PM
took two pictures.

http://www.geocities.com/mattanshrager/relax.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/mattanshrager/flex.jpg

mattanshrager
05-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Well at 6 ft 1 inches tall and only 175lbs you shouldn't have much a gut at all. You should only need to lose a minimum of like 20 lbs to be cut.

i really should have updated that weight, i put down 178 now because i'm unsure but after a heavy meal yesterday i was 183

ecliptic
05-16-2005, 02:46 PM
That looks like genetics, and it doesn't really look like fat as much as it is the way your body is shaped? It almost looks like your sticking out your stomach.

AKraut
05-16-2005, 03:23 PM
I agree that it's probably your body type, but I wouldn't consider it a bad thing since you have some pretty strong lifts for your size and that strong gut is a big factor. If you want your stomach to look better you should get out of the persistant bulk powerlifting sucks you into and think about cutting for a while...

harv
05-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Yeah - that's just the way you are built...Your abs look good IMO. Best thing you could do is work on your chest. Put some size on the pecs and the mid-section won't look like it's "sticking out" as far.

METALASIAN
05-16-2005, 03:29 PM
Maybe your stomache looks bloated from holding tons of food as opposed to having high %bf.

bigpoppapump979
05-16-2005, 04:03 PM
dont cut, that would be your worst option. your midsection looks aexactly like mine did before i put on some size in my chest. try working on your posture too. bulk up

DNL
05-16-2005, 04:35 PM
yeah i think the problem is your posture. Stand up straight, chest out.

AnOddParadigm
05-16-2005, 06:53 PM
I am going to have to go with the last two responses; judging by the picture the issue really seems to be posture. You can visibily see you curving your stomach forward in the pic. Trying standing straight up with a flat back and taking a picture. From my experience my stomach looks much less bloated when I stand up with good posture (plus, at 5' 5'' I can't really let myself look much shorter = )). Also, as other people mentioned, a fuller chest (which I am sure you are working on) well help balance everything out.

ilankaplan1
05-16-2005, 07:23 PM
**** i got ur problem cept worse. my abs are real cut but it sticks out liek taht. some days tho my stomachs flat and sometimes it sticks out like if i eat a lot. so that could be ur problem

MWB
05-17-2005, 12:50 PM
VAT maybe, visceral adipose tissue.

mattanshrager
05-17-2005, 01:56 PM
what is visceral adipose tissue? i found adipose tissue in the encyclopedia, nothing more. if it is what you said, how can i get rid of it?

LoneJeeper
05-17-2005, 02:07 PM
HAhahahahahah......

that's no beer gut... *I'll* show you a beer gut.

kd

Built
05-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Body fat, as I understand it, is either sub-cutaneous or visceral. Visceral fat is the "marbled" fat I described earlier.

I seem to recall that visceral fat responds more strongly to diet, where sub cutaneous fat responds more strongly to exercise, but it's entirely possible I got this backward.

Bump!

mattanshrager
05-17-2005, 02:17 PM
thanks a lot built, i WAS thinking a lot about the marbled fat you talked about earlier. i think that might be it. but back to one of my other questions frm yesterday-- is it possible for the stomach to expand and shrink in response to heavy or light amounts of food? (over time, of course)

Rik-s
05-17-2005, 02:33 PM
yehh totally.
gastrostenosis (gas·tro·ste·no·sis) (gas²tro-st[schwa]-no¢sis) [gastro- + stenosis] contraction or shrinkage of the stomach.

Never noticed that when you've been ill for a while (week or two with flu)and had a prolonged loss of appetite that you cant eat as much?

As you eat more (or learn to eat more as is common for peeps on a bulk) your stomach expands to compensate for the extra food and removing the uncomfortable feeling you get when you start out.

NYClubber
05-17-2005, 05:50 PM
I have this same problem and wondered about it for the longest time. When I flex my abs they're defined, but relaxed it looks like I have a huge gut. I've noticed that when I eat less (read: when I'm too broke to afford food) my stomach shrinks and the effect is far less noticable. So I'm sure it'll probably be the same for you. But when I'm doing my usual bulking I end up walking around all day with my abs flexed just to hold my gut in. Talk about uncomfortable.

Hatred
05-17-2005, 05:57 PM
VIsceral fat is the first to go as it has a lot more blood flowing to it and it can be metabolized more freely.

Majestic
05-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Your stomach isn't fat at all. You've just expanded your stomach, as everyone has stated, to accomodate the amount of food you're consuming.

TylerDurden
05-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Intramesentaric fat. Abdominal or trunkal obesity. Has a very strong correlation with type two diabetics, hyperlipidemia, and hypertension. It responds both to diet and exercise. It is most common in men and seems to be related to alcohol over consumption. If you have ever had the pleasure of cutting a cadaver you would see this fat located in the greater and lesser omentum which encases the small intestines. It does have a marble appearence but is of the same texture Subcutaneous fats. There is no cutaneous fat only sub, and intramesentaric.

Jay-X
07-06-2006, 10:01 AM
I have the same exact problem. I have a really good body overall, but I just can't get rid of this stuff. I don't care what it is, just tell me how can I get rid of it, please.

Jay-X
07-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I have the same exact problem. I have a really good body overall, but I just can't get rid of this stuff. I don't care what it is, just tell me how can I get rid of it, please.

Bump

Jay-X
07-07-2006, 10:33 AM
How many times will I have to bump this thread in order to have an answer?

Unreal
07-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Lost more fat. Simple as that.

MagnaSephiroth
07-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Eatting soluble fiber will help remove fat in your midsection. A great source of Soluble fiber is well, fiber pills :D

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-09-2006, 03:10 PM
^^^

Explain.

MagnaSephiroth
07-09-2006, 03:21 PM
^^^

Explain.

http://www.usaweekend.com/06_issues/060604/060604menshealth.html

Dietary Fiber not only plays an important role with weight management, but it also benefits those who

suffer from insulin resistance, blood sugar, and cholesterol-related problems.

Sources of Insoluble Fiber include wheat bran, whole-grain products, cereals, nuts, and the skins of
some fruits and root vegetables.

Sources of Soluble Fiber include Konjac glucomannan, xanthan gum, guar gum, psyllium husks, oats,

flax seed, pectine, and most fruits without the skin.

Since dietary sources of soluble fiber convey a feeling of fullness without the bloating some prone
individuals experience from a higher intake of insoluble fiber, a number of fiber supplements are sold
specifically for this appetite-suppressing effect, whereby the degree of expansion in water (viscosity)

determines the overall effectiveness of such products for weight control purposes.

Jordanbcool
07-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Your holding alot of water. Lose some of it.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-09-2006, 04:03 PM
http://www.usaweekend.com/06_issues/060604/060604menshealth.html

Dietary Fiber not only plays an important role with weight management, but it also benefits those who

suffer from insulin resistance, blood sugar, and cholesterol-related problems.

Sources of Insoluble Fiber include wheat bran, whole-grain products, cereals, nuts, and the skins of
some fruits and root vegetables.

Sources of Soluble Fiber include Konjac glucomannan, xanthan gum, guar gum, psyllium husks, oats,

flax seed, pectine, and most fruits without the skin.

Since dietary sources of soluble fiber convey a feeling of fullness without the bloating some prone
individuals experience from a higher intake of insoluble fiber, a number of fiber supplements are sold
specifically for this appetite-suppressing effect, whereby the degree of expansion in water (viscosity)

determines the overall effectiveness of such products for weight control purposes.

From: http://www.acu-cell.com/diet.htmlYou do realize that says absolutely nothing about removing fat from the midsection? It's talking about appetite control.

MagnaSephiroth
07-09-2006, 04:19 PM
You do realize that says absolutely nothing about removing fat from the midsection? It's talking about appetite control.

Since dietary sources of soluble fiber convey a feeling of fullness without the bloating

might not be removing fat persay, but its the process of getting that fat out of their. At the very least, soluble fiber reduces bloating or has minimal bloating compared to most foods, meaning less of a gut after eating.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-09-2006, 04:29 PM
No, that has absolutely nothing to do with "removing fat from the midsection". It's just appetite control.

might not be removing fat persayIt's not persay, it just isn't.

but its the process of getting that fat out of their.What is "getting the fat out of there"?

At the very least, soluble fiber reduces bloating or has minimal bloating compared to most foods, meaning less of a gut after eating.But bloating caused by the expansion of the stomach after eating foods isn't fat. It's just bloating. It passes.

Fiber is great, but nothing you've shown has anything to do with "removing fat from the midsection".

MagnaSephiroth
07-09-2006, 04:39 PM
I know this is mostly aimed towards women, but if you are serious about a smaller gut, this site is pretty good.

http://www.healthcastle.com/nutrition-weightloss-flatab.shtml

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-09-2006, 04:41 PM
That's a horrible site. Thanks. There's nothing complicated about getting a smaller gut. And there isn't anything special about how a woman goes about losing that gut. It's the same for both men and women. Any diet for getting a flat stomach geared specifically towards women is utter nonsense.

That site is also spouting off about macro percentages. *sigh*

MagnaSephiroth
07-09-2006, 04:50 PM
That's a horrible site. Thanks. There's nothing complicated about getting a smaller gut. And there isn't anything special about how a woman goes about losing that gut. It's the same for both men and women. Any diet for getting a flat stomach geared specifically towards women is utter nonsense.

That site is also spouting off about macro percentages. *sigh*

Nearly every site I go to has fiber as an important step in the process of getting a flatter tummy. The facts on this site are nearly the same on every site and source dealing with the same thing, slimming down the waist. Fiber is a STEP towards losing inches in your waist, not the whole thing.

MagnaSephiroth
07-09-2006, 04:52 PM
No, that has absolutely nothing to do with "removing fat from the midsection". It's just appetite control.

Isn't appetite control a big part of removing fat from the midsection? :scratch: lol

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-09-2006, 05:07 PM
No. Eating in a caloric deficit on a consistent basis while lifting heavy with low reps is a big part of removing fat from not only the midsection, but the entire body. Neither diet or training can specifically remove fat from just the midsection. You don't just lose fat from the midsection.

Jordanbcool
07-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Scarz you'd have to atleast conceide that being full longer or atleast most of the time may not look good on paper but it has serious real world applications.

Basically if I'm not hungry anymore why would I want to eat? This in turn would cause you to eat less which means (usually) less calories consumed which means a leaner all around you. There are two parts to dieting. Physical, and pyscological. Both play a very important role. While dieting, I found I could easily stick to my diet if I ate solid foods instead of liquid foods.

Just trying to help point out what he means when he talks about control and fiber etc. etc.

-jordan

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
07-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Scarz you'd have to atleast conceide that being full longer or atleast most of the time may not look good on paper but it has serious real world applications.Well feeling full and satisfied when you want to be full and satisfied is a good thing. I'm not arguing that point. "Fat removed from the midsection" has nothing to do with appetite control and feeling full. People on here can feel full, but they'll still force themselves to eat more on a bulk. Feeling full won't do anything for you if you're still eating excess calories. Feeling full would be better on a cut, but ultimately, expending more calories than you're consuming will lead to "leaning out"...as long as heavy lifting remains incorporated.