PDA

View Full Version : Why are Americans so overweight while..

Wizard
12-06-2001, 04:00 AM
the French eat wonderfully sumptuous foods,indulging daily in high fat cheeses,creams,and olive oil,enjoy high carbohydrate baguettes or buttery croissants with every meal,have decadent 2-hour dinners late at night (not to mention the wine and dessert!), and rarely exercise?

:french:

Well,the Americans have steadily decreased their total fat consumption over the past 30 years and are buying low fat substitutes and sugar-free products.. while..

..The French are consumers of moderate amounts of alcohol, especially red wine,usually with meats,eat more fresh fruit and vegetables,they eat less red meat,they consume more cheese and less whole milk,they use more olive oil and less butter or lard,and they take longer to eat meals and snack less.(cnn.com)

Yet the French outlive Americans by 2.5 years and suffer from 40% fewer heart attacks!

To explain this phenomenon,scientists initially proposed that the French have some protection against cardiovascular disease because of their wine drinking behaviour,but this does not explain all the differences.It is now clear that it is not just red wine that protects but other forms of alcohol.And that the benefit is in the antioxidants,not just in red wine but also in fruits,vegetables,and even tea.So keep boozing :alcoholic

Then,Americans try to categorize foods as good or bad,healthy or unhealthy.A third of Americans believe that salt and fat are unhealthy.But most foods,salt and fat included,are healthy in moderation and become unhealthy only when consumed in excess.

In a recent study,Professor Paul Rozin,of the University of Pennsylvania,made a cross-cultural study of food attitudes among more than 1,000 Americans,French,Belgians and Japanese. The research shows that while the French overall associate eating with pleasure,Americans worry about food and associate it primarily with nutrition.

Stay away from anti-depressants and enjoy your life.(I'm not addressing only to Americans).

MWB
12-06-2001, 04:04 AM
I think the big difference is portion size. USA portion sizes are huge compaired to other countries.

kAto
12-06-2001, 04:19 AM
yup hes right; especially when condidering asian people like i, whether indian/japanese/philly, etc..., if you go to asia, chances are you will not see anyone that weighs more than 150lbs. on ther other hand, those asians who tend to live in north america are much heavier, even fat. living in toronto, i see overweight asians daily, but in japan, its like finding a needle in a haystack.

Wizard
12-06-2001, 05:10 AM
Hey MWB,I totally agree with you.The American portions are Godzilla-sized! :D

Tre Bong
12-06-2001, 05:50 AM
i noticed that when i went to america, much bigger portions than here in england, but damn it tasted good :)

big calvin
12-06-2001, 06:04 AM
mwb hit it on the head! where else can u get a F'in gallon "super sized" coke no ice(takes up space that coke can have :D )!!! ......hehehe.

syntekz
12-06-2001, 07:15 AM
It's all about the money.

hemants
12-06-2001, 07:16 AM
I'd say higher total calories (serving size is a part of this) and more fast foods.

Joe Black
12-06-2001, 07:21 AM
Having just returned from America I would say its a combination of both larger serving sizes and more fast food type related places in general.

Also I think USA has more of a eating out culture imo..

syntekz
12-06-2001, 07:32 AM
I think in our culture sitting down wit the family and having a meal isn't as important compared to other cultures. Instead we just grab a bite to eat and would rather be watching TV together instead of having a good meal together.

12-06-2001, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by MWB
I think the big difference is portion size. USA portion sizes are huge compaired to other countries.

I gotta agree here. When I was in japan, whenever I found a place that served french fried with my meal (yes I got sick of sushi), I'd only get about 8-10 fries total.. where as in america we're talking 30-40 fries a meal.

And when you order say beef and rice from a little street restaurant your only getting maybe 2 cups of rice and 1oz of little thin cut beef..

I also don't remember seeing any overweight people in japan and I saw probably 5000 that week...

MWB
12-06-2001, 09:26 AM
Syntekz, I think you are right. Most families these days both parents work, come home from work late and there isn't time to prepair a meal so people order out.

Prelude
12-06-2001, 11:55 AM
Fastfoods that are loded with fat and carbs that you can 'super size'. I work at a college and I know some people who eats fastfoods (McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc.) 2-3 times a day 7 days a week. And that's not including high sugar desserts!

Prelude
12-06-2001, 11:57 AM
....and also TV dinners!

body
12-06-2001, 02:20 PM
the french may not exericse, but what is the calorie expenditure compared to the USA. Do they have more active jobs, do they walk more? Is there health servie better so cure poeple earlier and more effectively? they are eating lots of fruit and veg that are low in kcals yet high in fibre and antioxidants. what is the difference in kcals intake between the two countries.
France is mainly caucasian while america is more mixed race. Do americans tkae more other drugs(prescription or illegal)? Who has the cleanest air? (los angles does not)

They are many other things to consider. they may be small by themselves, but accumaltive they add up to like two years.