PDA

View Full Version : Bulking %

Kaha
05-16-2005, 11:39 PM
5'10"
146 lbs
19 yrs old

I am wondering what a good percentage between Carbs/Protein/Fats to use while bulking.

thanks,

kyle

Shao-LiN
05-17-2005, 12:18 AM
1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, probably at least 20% fats, then manipulate the macros as you see fit.

Built
05-17-2005, 12:22 AM
1-1.5g protein per pound (or even higher)

Calories above maintenance - I increase by a daily 200 cals every few weeks and monitor progress, but I'm a middle aged chick. You'll probably just want to stuff yourself and see how fat you get. If you gain fat too fast, pull back a bit on the cals.

Carbs and fats for your own personal comfort. I go higher carb on lifting days, lower carb on non-lifting days, and target the carbs to the meal immediately before and all those after I lift.

Nothing magical about the ratios.

Make sure your post workout nutrition is fast protein and fast carb - whey and dextrose/glucose is the gold standard here. If you're adding in creatine, this is when you consume it.

Good luck!

Edited to agree with Shao-LiN; make sure fats are at least 20% of your cals, bulking or cutting.

I prefer somewhat higher fats, myself. And a reasonable amount of animal fat helps with test production, do don't shy away from the odd egg yolk or a bit of butter.

Kaha
05-17-2005, 12:32 AM
Yes i am taking whey protein and creatine also. .

I think i am only eating 1k a day right now which is pretty bad imo. I dont want to pack on a bunch of fat so i'll probably take my bulking slower than most. I mean its.. almost summer right?

Anyways, I think i may up it to 2k. I have a pretty good idea of what to eat now that i've been eating clean for a year or so. Its nice that i can get great opinions and facts here, thanks a lot.

Built
05-17-2005, 12:34 AM
You're only eating a thousand calories A DAY???

I'm CUTTING on nearly TWO thousand!

?????

Kaha
05-17-2005, 12:38 AM
right. well i have never kept track of them. And i really dont eat much during the day. I am a poor college student ;) But today all i had was sandwich from subway, chicken breast and green beans so. . . yea but i ended up with 1600.

Kaha
05-17-2005, 12:39 AM
but i have figured it all out after a lot of reading and everything. I should be up to 2k for the next couple weeks and see how that goes for me.

Mad Max
05-17-2005, 05:56 AM
1600!!!!
If you want to have any hope of gaining any weight whatsoever, you'll have to add at least 1000 calories, and that would be for the slowest of slow gains. So more like 3000-3500, if you want to make some sort of noticable gains.

Kaha
05-17-2005, 11:20 PM
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=kylehauser

that is probably pretty good for a day for me. What do you all think?

Shao-LiN
05-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Good starting point for your weight. See how it goes and adjust as necessary.

Anthony
05-18-2005, 07:10 AM
If your AMR is 3500 calories and you want to gain weight, you need to eat more than 3500 calories.

spencerjrus
05-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes i am taking whey protein and creatine also. .

I think i am only eating 1k a day right now which is pretty bad imo. I dont want to pack on a bunch of fat so i'll probably take my bulking slower than most. I mean its.. almost summer right?

In the immortal words of PowermanDL, creatine and that whey stuff makes you huge.

Max-Mex
05-18-2005, 02:30 PM
right. well i have never kept track of them. And i really dont eat much during the day. I am a poor college student ;) But today all i had was sandwich from subway, chicken breast and green beans so. . . yea but i ended up with 1600.

Just eat loads of cheap fast food. Taco Bell, MacDonalds, BurgerKing, Etc. Those will easily push you beyond the 3000 mark. You won't gain weight if you don't eat enough and as people mentioned before, 2k will get you nowhere fast.

Kaha
05-18-2005, 10:41 PM
okay - i am at 3k for today .. though i think my fat is a little high. On the fitday link i am a day ahead so you will have to go to the 19th to see the 18th but yeah.

Built
05-18-2005, 11:00 PM
No worries on higher fats for a bulk. You might want to try to work the protein up a smidge, but really, not bad. Try to get some veggies in, and some more fruit.

And get some cottage cheese. It's good cheap protein.