PDA

View Full Version : about how much slower is the absorbsion of...

elmo354
12-06-2001, 06:24 AM
... the whey protein already in milk than whey powder in water?

or in other words about how long does it take each to get digested
Thanks

Wizard
12-06-2001, 06:26 AM
No one is able to tell you about it.Milk will just slower the absorption.

Tryska
12-06-2001, 06:29 AM
i got an answer....exactly 44.792 minutes.

seriously....what wiz said..no one know's exactly how long....but it is slower.

hemants
12-06-2001, 07:06 AM
I couldn't find the link but I read that whey takes about 4 hours to digest whereas Casein takes about 7 hours.

Thus milk with Whey which is a combination of the two would take between 4 and 7 hours.

:alcoholic

elmo354
12-06-2001, 10:56 AM
yea I knew no one knew the exact answer.Thats why I didn't ask for one;) But I didn't know it takes hours to digest.... I thought the difference would be around between 30min to an hour..

so if whey takes 4hrs and milk takes 7hrs....then solid food would take like 10hrs?... That seems like an awful long time

elmo354
12-06-2001, 11:08 AM
well I did a little searching and I found a link that says food takes about 24hrs to digest. Damn that is a long time...

here it is (fixed) (http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/jan99/915482045.Me.r.html)

Prelude
12-06-2001, 11:47 AM
Are you asking how long it takes the body to utilize the protein and other nutrients from the whey? OR are you asking how long it takes for it to leave the body (poop)?

I've always thought that it takes whey within 2 hours to reach the muscles. That's why we use it for postworkout. Now the digestion, I would think depends on the metabolism of the person. But I might be wrong.

ElPietro
12-06-2001, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by elmo354
well I did a little searching and I found a link that says food takes about 24hrs to digest. Damn that is a long time...

here it is (fixed) (http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/jan99/915482045.Me.r.html)

I would have to disagree with that completely. The link based their evidence on sh!tting corn. That's some great science there. So I guess until you've pooped it out it hasn't been digested eh?

I don't think it takes even 4hrs for whey in water to be digested.

body
12-06-2001, 02:13 PM
post meal fisrt stage of starvation takes up to about 4 hours.

things that effect digestion time are
1) meal size
2)liquid, solids
3)fibre content
4)fat content,protein, carbs
5)level of hydration
6)age
7)when the last time you ate.
8)laxatives (natural ones in food as well as drugs)
9) your genetics
the digestion time is going to be a mixture of these. answer all 9 questions then we can give better answers.(well actual none of could, but we would need to know that before being able to work out a answer.)

elmo354
12-06-2001, 04:40 PM
I was mainly talking about how long it would take for the body to start using the whey protein as apposed to the whey protein in milk, right after you wake up and also right after workout.

Just trying to see how much it would make a difference if I stopped buying whey and just drank milk for whey protein.

If I buy whey then I have to pay for it...If I buy milk then my parents will cover it:D

pastdoubt
12-06-2001, 05:12 PM
If it takes 4 hours to utilize whey then wouldn't it be more benificial to eat right before a workout?

Prelude
12-07-2001, 07:45 AM
whey = fast digestion
milk (casein) = slow digestion

Depending on what your goals are you cannot substitute one for the other. You have to take into consideration that by drinking milk you are also taking in fat and carbs. But by drinking a protein drink you are only taking in protein.

read more from here:

www.proteinfactory.com

hemants
12-07-2001, 10:04 AM
Whey takes 4 hours to complete digestion, but it probably peaks somewhere between 1 and 2 hours (if I remember the graph correctly).

elmo354
12-07-2001, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Prelude
whey = fast digestion
milk (casein) = slow digestion

Depending on what your goals are you cannot substitute one for the other. You have to take into consideration that by drinking milk you are also taking in fat and carbs. But by drinking a protein drink you are only taking in protein.

read more from here:

www.proteinfactory.com

Milk has whey in it too though. I know it will be slower than whey alone but I just would like a rough estimate of how much slower.

Also, I thought it wasn't good to take protein alone.:confused: Don't you need to take protein with carbs when you wake up and post workout?

The fat in milk I could do without but I am trying to bulk so..:rolleyes: Plus the ratio's in 2% milk are not bad.

Prelude
12-07-2001, 12:17 PM
Milk has whey in it too though. I know it will be slower than whey alone but I just would like a rough estimate of how much slower. Also, I thought it wasn't good to take protein alone. Don't you need to take protein with carbs when you wake up and post workout?

That's why I said depending on your goals.

elmo354
12-07-2001, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Prelude

That's why I said depending on your goals.

:thumbup:
so it wouldn't make much difference if I just drank milk when I get up and post workout, instead of whey?

Prelude
12-07-2001, 12:49 PM
Read the other thread titled "MILK"