PDA

View Full Version : Serious Help with Bulking

Jervis
05-17-2005, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure where to start. I jumped on the scale today for the first time in about 3 years, and was shocked to see I only weight 125lbs. Previously I've always maintained a body weight of around 140, which was still way too skinny, but much better than 125. Years of depression have seriously affected my health, and though I'm not anorexic you couldn't tell by looking at me. I eat, but I certainly don't eat regularly or healthy. I'm lucky to get two meals a day, a meal consisting of a burger or two or some pizza. Pepsi seems to be the only liquid that entered my body in the last 3 years.

A family friend dropped off around 5 cases of Ensure Plus, which is about 350 calories per serving, two of those is about as many calories as I'm currently getting down a day.

I don't care if I have the biggest muscles, or the nicest 6pack, I'd really just like to be able to take my shirt off and not see ribs poking through.

I'd really like to hit 160-170lbs in the next 3-4 months, if such a thing is realistic. I feel healthy it's time to start looking it.

I understand I need to eat constantly, I understand the foods I should be eating thanks to some of the posts on here, but thats about all I know. I can't figure out how to make viable meal plans out of them.

I could really use some help working out realistic meal plans that wont break my budget but will allow me to hit around 4500 calories a day (from what I understand, thats what I need in order to bulk, but then again I could be wrong). Meals that are easy/quick to prepare, or meals that can be made in bulk to help save on food costs.

I have a MRP(?) on order that goes by the name of Mammoth2500. 970 Calories, 50g Protein, 18g Fat, 152 Carbs per serving. I plan on 2-3 of those a day (1940/2910 calories), 2 Ensure Plus a day (700 calories).

If anyone could find the time to help me out I would seriously appreciate it. Not just saying "Oh you need chicken and oatmeal and this or that" but more along the lines of "Heres a meal plan, this is how many calories you get per meal, this is what you need to eat x times a day."

I'm sure you guys get this alot, sorry if its another one of those annoying posts.

DannyboyXJ
05-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Well, first off, you are lifting regularly and with good intensity right? Make sure you have some strong work outs set up before you just start worrying about eating more.

If you eat good (meaning good crap and a lot of it) and your workouts aren't all that good, you won't see much more than fat.

So, assuming you got the workout thing down, do something like this:

I would type it all out, but I'm lazy as hell when it comes to stuff like this. Here is an example of my diet. Many on here eat a lot more than me, but this diet has been working well for me during the last few weeks since I've started; I can see quicker muscle gains than before I actually focused on bulking up rather than just eating to kill my hunger.

Link: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=64054

--Dan.

trfe
05-18-2005, 07:54 AM
I don't know if 35 lbs is possible in 4 months... Don't they usually say you gain about 1-2 pounds a week on a bulk. Obviously you hear about people gaining much more but that is usually with the help of pro-hormones or steroids.

Jervis
05-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Dan: that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Just some sample meal plans so I know how I "should" be eating. As far as lifting goes, that's not my primary concern at the moment. I'm more interested in getting to a healthy weight than toning up and packing the muscle on. To be honest I would be gratefull for a little chub on my waist. At 125lbs I have all the tone I need, a 6pack is pretty easy to maintain when you have almost no body fat. It's the ribs poking through that bother me. Thanks for the link, that helps alot.

trfe: At 2lbs a week in 16 weeks, thats about 32lbs, close enough.

the one
05-18-2005, 12:47 PM
eat everything you see burgers, pastas, breads,chicken,tuna,pizza, pets whatever man just eat

hardgainer169
05-18-2005, 12:56 PM
:withstupi Just eat like crazy

Drai's
05-18-2005, 01:00 PM
trfe: At 2lbs a week in 16 weeks, thats about 32lbs, close enough.

Yes, but typically those who are going to be gaining at the higher end of the spectrum are those who gain weight easily. At a current weight of 125 lbs, I doubt you fall into that category.

spencerjrus
05-18-2005, 01:06 PM
I went from 140 to 170 in 3 months with a pretty mediocre diet, so yes its possible.

Sc00t
05-18-2005, 01:14 PM
I don't know if 35 lbs is possible in 4 months... Don't they usually say you gain about 1-2 pounds a week on a bulk. Obviously you hear about people gaining much more but that is usually with the help of pro-hormones or steroids.
I gained 4, then 3, and this week just one. (I've been slacking this week), so I think that it depends on how many cals you USED to have, and how big you increase your cals. (and protein, obviously helps somewhat.)

I'd say that, because he's so small, and because he's BEEN bigger in the past, that he should be able to gain pretty quick.

What do I know, I'm just some n00b haha.

Laters,
Sc00t

Jervis
05-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Sc00t: that's what I'm thinking too. I figure on average for the last three years I have gotten under 1200 calories a day, if suddenly I were to change that to something more along the lines of 3500, at first my body might not know what to do with it all, but once it balanced itself out I will get bigger gains. I've always been a hard gainer, but then again I've never had a proper diet so as long as I keep counting my calories I can always add or subtract based on what my gains are. Only time will tell I suppose.

Seeing as how I've never eaten very regularly, this should prove interesting. I've eaten more today spaced out than I usually eat in 2-3.

Hatred
05-18-2005, 05:47 PM
In order to gain muscle make sure you are getting a lot of protein. I'd suggest overa 1.25grams per lb.
YOu need carbs to fuel your workouts so keep those about the same.

If you are 125 now. Find out on average how much you eat in calories a day. there is your APPROXIMATE maintenance.
Have a surplus of a few hundred calories a day and watch your expenditure. adjust intake from there if you either do not gain or gain too much fat.

ReelBigFish
05-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Yeah don't make a huge jump all at once. Add in an extra 100 - 200 cals a day and go with that for a week and then add some more. A huge increase and your body won't be ready and you risk storing more of those extras cals as fat so go a little at a time.

YungLifter
05-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Yeah im going through same thing right now. Im adding little by little. I add about1/2 tbsp or so of natty pb untill i get to how much i like in a whole day then ill add little more of somthing else. Like maybe some more oats in break fast or peice of fruit. I have a whole meal plan to what I want to get to when im full out bulking and everyday I add a Peice from that list untill I get the whole list. Im also about 125 lost alot weight b/c of accident and im going through same thing you are.

TOBART
05-18-2005, 09:09 PM
You'll be surprised how quickly you can get back up to 140 with a good change in your diet. I'm not sure how good you are with eating, but its damn hard to get 4500 calories a day. I'm getting around that right now and gaining very slowly but I'm drinking nearly 3000 calories a day (weight gainer and milk).

I've been drinking this stuff by Ultimate nutrition called "Muscle Juice" its 1200 cals, 71g of protien and its is fairly easy to drink (choclate tastes the best). It's the cheapest calorie heavy drink mix I can find. I've been though sixteen 10 pound pails of this stuff in the last 2 years and barely put on 40 pounds. I drink 2 of these a day (sometimes 3 if I dont have time for a good breakfast).

What I aim for with eating is 4 meals a day: breakfast, lunch, supper and another meal about an hour before I go to sleep. I drink an MRP after my workouts (after supper on non lifting days) and right before I go to sleep.

I also bring a liter of milk to work everyday to go with my lunch, it adds an extra 550 calories and good portion of protien.

And for the record, I'm 5'7" 145lbs and I started weighing far less than you. :)