PDA

View Full Version : Yawning in the gym

trfe
05-18-2005, 02:49 PM
I find that i am always yawning in between sets. It only happpens in the gym though, and not during work. I lift at about 1pm, so it isn't night or anything. Does anyone else do this as well?

getfit
05-18-2005, 02:54 PM
happens too me sometimes usually the first 10 mins of lifting but then i speed up fast!

MixmasterNash
05-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Yes. I once head a reasonable explanation, but then I took a nap and forgot it.

Sc00t
05-18-2005, 03:35 PM
I do this too. Any insight into this would be useful :)

fixationdarknes
05-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Dang, I was reading this thread and all of the sudden I yawned. Dang it...I didn't know yawns were cyber-contagious. But yeah I do yawn sometimes when I'm lifting.

Max-Mex
05-18-2005, 03:45 PM
I find that i am always yawning in between sets. It only happpens in the gym though, and not during work. I lift at about 1pm, so it isn't night or anything. Does anyone else do this as well?

I yawn all the time during morning workouts. I'll do it once in a while during afternoon or evening workouts as well.

DNL
05-18-2005, 04:11 PM
yawning can be contagious... that's why i avoid looking at other people hehe

waynis
05-18-2005, 04:54 PM
yes definetly! I do this a lot at the gym when lifting.

From ptonthenet:

Got this information from PTonthenet

Question

Why do my clients yawn in between their sets although they have had plenty of sleep?

Answer:

Although people often yawn when they are getting tired, the function of the yawn is to receive more oxygen to the brain. Many individuals who are or have suffered from breathing problems such as asthma, a collapsed lung or any number of things will be constantly yawning to force more oxygen in the system. I would check how their VO2 max compares to the average. It is a long shot, but possibly under the stress of exercise they are not receiving adequate oxygen and their bodies force them to yawn to make up for the deficiency.

----------------

That being said.. I noticed yawning a lot more when I stopped doing cardio as my Vo2 max went down. WOW this just hit me! great topic!

Ironminded
05-18-2005, 04:54 PM
A couple of possible explanations;

Yawning is often associated with the body's need for more oxygen. We often yawn when we are tired because we are not breathing as quickly as when we are wide awake, and our bodies need more oxygen then we are taking in. So if you are yawning at the gym it might be because your respiratory rate has not caught up with your body's need for oxygen yet.

A more likely explanation is that you are lifting after lunch, you said around 1pm right? Often times people get sleepy after lunch as it is during a warm part of the day, and they have just eaten. Thier bodies are concentrating on digesting lunch, not working so people tend to get sleepy. God knows I could use a nap after lunch most days.

Just some thoughts.

Patz
05-18-2005, 11:27 PM
you could be overtraining, or not getting enough sleep. i yawn like crazy after a couple days in a row of 5 hour sleeps. sleep rules..

sliver1
05-19-2005, 12:43 AM
I always thought it was the lack of oxygen thing too, then I read this.

"Other unlocked mysteries include why fetuses in the womb yawn, when it is a well-known fact that they do not intake oxygen into their lungs until after live birth, or why individuals with high concentrations of oxygen in their blood streams yawn."

Kind of interesting that we have so much knowledge these days yet we still can't explain the yawn reflex.

Damn, I just yawned.

Owen
05-19-2005, 03:51 AM
Maybe its some kinda cosmic thing.

AKraut
05-19-2005, 09:26 AM
I can't really see how yawning is more efficient at acquiring oxygen than heavy breathing, especially with heartrate up.

I just stretched and yawned.... one thing I do know is that it feels goooood.

PizDoff
05-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Do you work out at the gym? Could be because overone else is sucking so much oxygen in as well?

Haha. I get this as well, mostly toward the end of the workout as my energy levels go down.

Ugly Genius
05-19-2005, 11:18 AM
You can use yawns to determine whether or not a chick is checking you out. When you think she's looking, yawn. If she was looking, chances are the yawning that you did willl make her yawn in reflex. So if you see her yawn right after you did, you'll know (with relative certainty [+/- 75%]) that she was looking. (Whether or not she likes what she sees, however, is an entirely different matter. To determine that, you'll actually have to talk to her.)

This trick does not work for females, though. Ladies, if you are in a room, and a guy is in that same room, rest assured (+/- 99% of the time) that he has all ready checked you out. And then some.

heathj
05-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Yeah weird, I yawn a lot at the gym. But recently I have increased cardio quite a bit and don't yawn as much.

I will probably yawn at the gym today though, because I said that.

spencerjrus
05-19-2005, 11:58 AM
You can use yawns to determine whether or not a chick is checking you out. When you think she's looking, yawn. If she was looking, chances are the yawning that you did willl make her yawn in reflex. So if you see her yawn right after you did, you'll know (with relative certainty [+/- 75%]) that she was looking. (Whether or not she likes what she sees, however, is an entirely different matter. To determine that, you'll actually have to talk to her.)

This trick does not work for females, though. Ladies, if you are in a room, and a guy is in that same room, rest assured (+/- 99% of the time) that he has all ready checked you out. And then some.

That is a badass idea, Im gonna have to try this out when I go to the gym today.

Big Bas
05-19-2005, 12:17 PM
That is a badass idea, Im gonna have to try this out when I go to the gym today.
you should also try farting, while lifting one leg up... its a lot more effective than talking to her

waynis
05-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Yeah weird, I yawn a lot at the gym. But recently I have increased cardio quite a bit and don't yawn as much.

I think that says a lot right there. Same deal with me. Doing more cardio and I yawn less.

Structureboi86
05-19-2005, 03:50 PM
I did that couple of times at my gym. It's pretty funny to see a chain reaction of people yawning ahha. PRICELESS

dissipate
05-19-2005, 09:56 PM
yay someone asked this! i yawn a lot while lifting and never thought of asking whether this is common because i thought maybe i was feeling bored and thus yawning. no yawns during cardio too.

spencerjrus
05-19-2005, 10:03 PM
you should also try farting, while lifting one leg up... its a lot more effective than talking to her

Unfortunately I left junior high before I managed to pull that one off. Good luck though son.