PDA

View Full Version : Microwave Damage

thalakos84
05-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I've been working 60+ hours last few weeks. I haven't really had time to cook. So I decided to nuke some chicken breasts. It tasted ok. They shrank quite a bit. I know that the microwave dehydrates, but what is it doing to the protein and other nutrients? It's not breaking them down is it? Or at least, not significantly. Each breast has 34g of protein. How much do you suspect I'm losing when I use the microwave?

Built
05-19-2005, 06:03 PM
None. You're just cooking it.

spencerjrus
05-19-2005, 10:06 PM
I've been working 60+ hours last few weeks. I haven't really had time to cook. So I decided to nuke some chicken breasts. It tasted ok. They shrank quite a bit. I know that the microwave dehydrates, but what is it doing to the protein and other nutrients? It's not breaking them down is it? Or at least, not significantly. Each breast has 34g of protein. How much do you suspect I'm losing when I use the microwave?

You can sautee a chicken breast in a pan in under 15 minutes, dont microwave your chicken.

thalakos84
05-20-2005, 01:09 AM
You can sautee a chicken breast in a pan in under 15 minutes, dont microwave your chicken.

It was frozen solid. I had to defrost it first. Also, someone pm'ed me this link. Please let me know what you think. Microwave Madness (http://www.detailshere.com/microwavemadness.htm)

Holto
05-20-2005, 08:14 AM
if you want to do everything possible to ensure optimal health avoid the waves

my philosophy is to avoid everything that *might* be bad for us instead of waiting for a peer reviewed study that proves it

the only thing I use it for is to defrost my whole grain burger buns

thajeepster
05-20-2005, 10:46 AM
dont believe everything you read on the internet.

Vapour Trails
05-20-2005, 11:32 AM
That article you cited is quackery.

Vapour Trails
05-20-2005, 11:33 AM
if you want to do everything possible to ensure optimal health avoid the waves

my philosophy is to avoid everything that *might* be bad for us instead of waiting for a peer reviewed study that proves it

the only thing I use it for is to defrost my whole grain burger buns

Southern Ontario air is more harmful than microwaves.

Wierz
05-20-2005, 11:40 AM
I read on the internet that milk has been linked to an increased risk for parkinson's disease.

In other news, forget shaving because you might slip and slit your throat wide open.

I doubt cooking it in the microwave had any large detrimental effect on the nutrional value.

thalakos84
05-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Sweet deal. I knew I could count on you guys! ;) Now I just need to figure out a way to make is taste really good.

underwearmodel
05-20-2005, 10:56 PM
"The use of artificial microwave transmissions for subliminal psychological
control, a.k.a. "brainwashing", has also been proven. We're attempting to
obtain copies of the 1970's Russian research documents and results written
by Drs. Luria and Perov specifying their clinical experiments in this area."

run for your lives!!11121211!