PDA

View Full Version : rest between sets for max effort wsb sets

slydeflex
05-19-2005, 06:10 PM
hi, I wanted to know what the rest time between sets for the max effort exercises should be? Also what should be the rest time for the accessory work?

Adam
05-20-2005, 09:20 AM
For ME:
ME ~2-4mins
DE 20-40seconds
accessory 30secs to 3mins depending on lift (if im doing something gay like pushdowns 30secs is fine, if im doing something like good ams 3mins does me good)

gcs118
05-20-2005, 10:33 AM
I'll usually wait 3-5 minutes between all sets, even more if I'm working very near max.

WBBIRL
05-20-2005, 01:15 PM
I usually give 2-3 min between normal sets and around 4-5 min if im at a work load at or above 85% of my 1RM

Isaac Wilkins
05-20-2005, 08:56 PM
The last two posts have very little to do with Westside Max Effort training.

Generally give yourself 3-5 minutes between your heavy ME sets. You can use less time while working your way up. Lift when you feel ready to.

Move through the accessory work a little quicker. Rest periods should generally be a minute to a minute and a half. The point of the accessory stuff is to work your muscles and be done, not hit PR's.

Eric_Yager
05-21-2005, 02:22 PM
hi, I wanted to know what the rest time between sets for the max effort exercises should be? Also what should be the rest time for the accessory work?

I train WSB and between my sets of 3 I'll run 3 minutes of rest and between my singles I'll go 5. DE I go about a minute..i've recently swayed from the DE days as they are setup in my program (10x3 for bench, 10-12x2 for squat) because on my bench my DE weight is a weight I can do 55 times not much slower than my speed bench and my squat DE weight I can do 45 times with the same deal so I've taken to doing 4x8s with pause on bench at 55% and 4x8s on box-sits on squat with 55%.

Isaac Wilkins
05-21-2005, 02:37 PM
I train WSB and between my sets of 3 I'll run 3 minutes of rest and between my singles I'll go 5. DE I go about a minute..i've recently swayed from the DE days as they are setup in my program (10x3 for bench, 10-12x2 for squat) because on my bench my DE weight is a weight I can do 55 times not much slower than my speed bench and my squat DE weight I can do 45 times with the same deal so I've taken to doing 4x8s with pause on bench at 55% and 4x8s on box-sits on squat with 55%.

It sounds to me like you suffer from Wendler Syndrome in that you're faster than you are strong. He just published an article on it, actually. He's doing very little actual speed work at this point as he doesn't feel it helps him much.

I would almost go even a touch heavier in that case. Three or four sets of five, perhaps.

Eric_Yager
05-21-2005, 02:47 PM
It sounds to me like you suffer from Wendler Syndrome in that you're faster than you are strong. He just published an article on it, actually. He's doing very little actual speed work at this point as he doesn't feel it helps him much.

I would almost go even a touch heavier in that case. Three or four sets of five, perhaps.

Do you have a link or anything to the article? I'd like to read it. I've always found that I am faster than I am strong, and that also my repping weights are rather close to my max weights. In my last heavy bench day I opted out of doing max attempts in favor of a 5x5 with increasing weight and I took my last 5, where I was fairly fatigued, up to within 15 pounds of my max single which seems a bit close imo.

Isaac Wilkins
05-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Yeah, it sounds to me like you're in need of more absolute strength. Speed is never a bad thing, of course, but if you can rep that close to your 1RM, then your CNS isn't as tuned in as it could be.

Here's the article: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/going_heavy.htm

Isaac Wilkins
05-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Ah. I just read your intro to the board.

At your strength level speed work probably isn't going to be that useful for you, and that's why you're able to rep so close to your max.

I'd work on the rep idea and the ME work. Eventually you'll feel your ME work really start to slow down, and that's when I'd think about the speed stuff.

Eric_Yager
05-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Ah. I just read your intro to the board.

At your strength level speed work probably isn't going to be that useful for you, and that's why you're able to rep so close to your max.

I'd work on the rep idea and the ME work. Eventually you'll feel your ME work really start to slow down, and that's when I'd think about the speed stuff.

Works for me. I've never really seen how doing 10 sets of 3 with 115 pounds is going to get me benching more, so I've thrown occassional repping work after it.

Isaac Wilkins
05-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Works for me. I've never really seen how doing 10 sets of 3 with 115 pounds is going to get me benching more, so I've thrown occassional repping work after it.

Exactly. At that weight it probably isn't going to help you much.

You could also occasionally try doing speed work with a much higher percentage of your 1RM. Say 70% or so for 8-10 sets of three. The rep work will probably be more useful most of the time, though.

Eric_Yager
05-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Exactly. At that weight it probably isn't going to help you much.

You could also occasionally try doing speed work with a much higher percentage of your 1RM. Say 70% or so for 8-10 sets of three. The rep work will probably be more useful most of the time, though.

k well i'm in my third week of not doing speeds in favor of 4x8 on my rep day and i pressed 20 pounds over my previous 1RM (i haven't done singles either in favor of 5x5s) so even if its unrelated to cutting the speeds in favor of reps I'm sticking with it.