PDA

View Full Version : Time it takes to digest food

d'Anconia
05-20-2005, 01:07 AM
I have read that it takes 2-4 hours for a bolus (which by definition is "a soft mass of chewed food") to go from your mouth and out of the stomach. From there supposedly it takes another 5-6 hours for it to go all the way through the small intestine. Which leads me to my question...

If it takes so long to absorb food then why do people try to set the times of the day at which they eat certain foods and supplements?

The only answer I could think of is that perhaps liquids (protein shakes, etc.) go through the digestive track and get absorbed a lot quicker? Am I right in this assumption?

That would mean that no matter what, eating a protein bar within 20 minutes of working out, something a lot of people believe is optimal for muscle building, would not really work that well. A protein shake might though(?)

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

ohnoitsjeff
05-22-2005, 12:40 AM
I have read that it takes 2-4 hours for a bolus (which by definition is "a soft mass of chewed food") to go from your mouth and out of the stomach. From there supposedly it takes another 5-6 hours for it to go all the way through the small intestine. Which leads me to my question...

your answer is in there already. it might take 5-6 hours to go thru however that is for everything to go thru. your body will pluck nutrients and compounds as it needs them along the way. if its a 30g whey shake it's liquid form and doesn't need to be grinded down and dissolved like meat and require the feet upon feet length of intestines to get absorbed and used