PDA

View Full Version : How many grams to fight catabolism?

thajeepster
05-20-2005, 10:29 AM
I plan on doing cardio first thing in the morning fasted, well not fasted after a quick protien shake in water... to help reduce some fat gains while bulking. I hear this is the best way to do this while glycogen is depleted to burn fat and not the food im eating all day long. Anyhow, how much protein is needed for this? I would like to have about 15g or so, because i like to have a large breakfast afterwards, and cant seem to get my macros right with a large scoop of whey added in.

Thanks

Thajeepster

Dedicated
05-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Are you like just trying to get rid of that last little bit of stubborn fat?

If you are, then one suggestion is to take nothing in the morning except some yohimbine HCL. Just make sure you know what foods not to eat when taking yohimbine, other than that you should be fine. You can get yohimbine very cheap from 1fast400.com.

That is just one way of going about it. Maybe someone else can provide other options and suggestions. Goodluck.

Just FYI, I have never done this, but have read about it numerous times. I have "tried' yohimbine, but never together with cardio in the AM on an empty stomach. Maybe someone else can comment because to my knowledge this is one the best ways to get the most out of your AM cardio session.

Drai's
05-20-2005, 10:50 AM
Are you like just trying to get rid of that last little bit of stubborn fat?

He's bulking, so I would say the answer is no.

jeepster, I don't think you need to eat anything personally, but if 15g works well for the rest of your meals then go for it. (There is no known number for how much to consume to avoid catabolism.)

Dedicated
05-20-2005, 10:54 AM
He's bulking, so I would say the answer is no.

Woops sorry.

Vapour Trails
05-20-2005, 11:30 AM
I think you are sweating the details far too much.

And somehow bulking and running on empty stomach just doesn't add up to me. It's like wanting to be catabolic and anabolic at the same time, but they are opposite processes.

thajeepster
05-20-2005, 12:27 PM
Thats why im having the whey before hand... And why im running first thing in the morning... if I run later in the day, im going to be using the food im eating (and needing to gain muscle) for energy as opposed to fat. This is just the way i figured i could keep fat gain to a minimum on my bulk.

I figured the protein is helping me spare using my muscle as energy.

ryuage
05-20-2005, 01:11 PM
only thing I would do on an empty stomach is real low intensity walking

AllUp
05-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Word, I definitely wouldn't run. Sprinting HIIT style maybe, but running is catabolic as all hell.

Big Bas
05-20-2005, 01:34 PM
only thing I would do on an empty stomach is real low intensity walking
yea, a walk to the refridgerator

thajeepster
05-20-2005, 01:35 PM
Word, I definitely wouldn't run. Sprinting HIIT style maybe, but running is catabolic as all hell.

But isnt the protein fighting that? Im completely lost now... am i doing this correctly or not?

thajeepster
05-20-2005, 01:36 PM
I dont consider cardio after a shake - cardio on an empty stomach. Should i?

Woodward
05-20-2005, 01:57 PM
someone answer this one.. I've been wondering about the same type of thing.

Max-Mex
05-20-2005, 01:58 PM
yea, a walk to the refridgerator

LOL!

Drai's
05-20-2005, 02:03 PM
And somehow bulking and running on empty stomach just doesn't add up to me. It's like wanting to be catabolic and anabolic at the same time, but they are opposite processes.

It's analogous to nutrient partitioning. Running on an empty stomach and running later in the day burns the same number of cals. Spreading the cals you eat evenly throughout the day provides the same number of calories as centering them around the workout. In both cases, one way produces a "better" effect than the other. How much better, who knows? And maybe he doesn't need to worry about it, but it DOES make sense.

eric1214
05-20-2005, 08:04 PM
so should one do HIIT in the morning on an empty stomach? or have a little protein right before to prevent muscle loss? any scientists in the house???

Built
05-20-2005, 08:25 PM
No to HIIT in the AM on an empty stomach.

Feed HIIT the same as a lifting workout.

Drai's
05-21-2005, 12:09 AM
:withstupi

Manveet
05-21-2005, 12:33 PM
so should one do HIIT in the morning on an empty stomach? or have a little protein right before to prevent muscle loss? any scientists in the house???

It won't make a huge difference as long as your eating a surplus of calories. I usually do a HIIT session in the morning (6-8 min) on an empty stomach without any problems. Granted I only do this 2x per week, and I'm eating a surplus of calories. I think it would be a good idea to have a small protein shake prior to the HIIT, something maybe I should start doing myself.