PDA

View Full Version : Brown rice cooking tips/help

endoplasm
05-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Whenever I cook brown rice, I end up with rice that is slimy on the outside and a bit hard on the inside? What gives? I can make white rice perfectly, but for some reason brown rice eludes me. I have been closely following the instructions on the rice, and the same thing happens for a few different brands. Normally I think slimy rice means overcooking, and hard means undercooked, but what is causing the half and half? I have electric burners now which suck, but I manage to make white rice just fine. Help!

getfit
05-20-2005, 02:28 PM
ummm not sure but doesn't this usually happens when there's not enough water! just a guess!

Minotaur
05-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Agreed, not enough water. Instructions often lie. I make brown rice in a rice cooker and use 2 cup water (actually a tad more) to 1 cup rice. Comes out fine.

YungLifter
05-20-2005, 03:26 PM
I have the same prob. My brown rice never comes out AS good as my white rice. Don't know why... It still comes out good thought just a little harder then white rice.

dissipate
05-21-2005, 04:24 AM
if you want softer brown rice, try soaking the uncooked grains in water for maybe an hour before cooking them. and.. brown rice needs much more water than white rice.

endoplasm
05-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Ok, I've found the secret. After soaking the rice, cook it in the pot alone on medium heat for a few minutes until it is dried and all the hissing has stopped. Then proceed according to mesurement directions... I use a little bit more than 2:1 water to rice.

YungLifter
05-22-2005, 04:28 AM
how long do you soak it for?

endoplasm
05-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Sorry man, false alarm. I soaked it for 1/2 hour and then cooked it like I had read, but it still ended up gluey and a bit hard. I read another method about baking it, and I may try that one next.

YungLifter
05-22-2005, 01:01 PM
yea i tryed soaking it for 1hour then i let it sit at bottem of pan for just a little then added the water came out a bit better but not perfect

Built
05-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Bedtime brown rice: two parts water, one (slightly scant) part rice, salt, all in a pot.

Bring to a boil, then cover and drop to a low temperature for about 40 minutes.

Turn the heat off and leave it alone.

It'll be ready to put in the fridge in the AM.

To reheat, measure out what you need, toss it in the microwave or a pan, covered, with a shot of water until it's hot and the water is absorbed.