PDA

View Full Version : Buckwheat flour

Bruise Brubaker
05-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know any easy recipes that would give a nice way to eat buckwheat without much other ingredients? The key seems to be to add some yeast, as it does not rise like wheat flour would?

This buckwheat stuff looks very good; it has more fibers, more potassium and other minirals and more vitamins, and is lower G.I than whole wheat. The protein also presents a good amino acid profile.

From what I've read too it seems to be closer to fruits than to cereals, it contains no gluten and is closer to the "paleolithic diet".

It seems to be a nice bulking food but I do not know how to eat that flour!

TheGimp
05-20-2005, 03:24 PM
How about buying the groats/kasha instead? Could use it as a replacement for rice or pasta.

From what I understand, due to the lack of gluten the buckwheat flour needs to be combined with wheat flour when used in recipes for things like bread, pancakes and noodles.

getfit
05-20-2005, 03:43 PM
How about buying the groats/kasha instead? Could use it as a replacement for rice or pasta.

From what I understand, due to the lack of gluten the buckwheat flour needs to be combined with wheat flour when used in recipes for things like bread, pancakes and noodles.
yep! but it does taste good my sister used to make bread with buckwheat flour yum! :)

thajeepster
05-20-2005, 04:29 PM
You could add in some xanthan gum instead of the gluten... that or guar gum, they both work great... make buckwheat pancakes... just the flour, some of the gum, baking powder, eggs, a little oil, and skim milk... walla breakfast is served... or dinner :D

getfit
05-20-2005, 04:33 PM
You could add in some xanthan gum instead of the gluten... that or guar gum, they both work great... make buckwheat pancakes... just the flour, some of the gum, baking powder, eggs, a little oil, and skim milk... walla breakfast is served... or dinner :D
i'm thinking of trying to make some waffles with buckwheat flour whatcha think? :)

thajeepster
05-21-2005, 12:08 AM
either would work, for waffles, add a little more baking powder or soda than the pancakes, and more water... make it a thinner consistency. But not too thin... Ive really gotta get myself a waffle maker by the way :D

getfit
05-21-2005, 02:35 AM
either would work, for waffles, add a little more baking powder or soda than the pancakes, and more water... make it a thinner consistency. But not too thin... Ive really gotta get myself a waffle maker by the way :D
yep! thanks! and i do have a waffle maker! will give that a go! :)

Bruise Brubaker
05-31-2005, 08:17 PM
I tried
0.75 cup buckwheat flour
0.75 cup water
0.25 cup milk
1 egg
some butter for the pan

About 400 cals, f/p/c 8/20/67

It worked well, it wasn't messy like I tough it would be.