PDA

View Full Version : physically demanding job

giblit
05-21-2005, 08:44 PM
ok so im starting westside for the first time in about a week and a half and im a coke cola merchindiser and those 10lb cases of coke get damn heavy after a 10-12 hour day and my back is killing me after my day, my question is if anyone else has a real physical job and how they deal with it and still manage to powerlift.

Sensei
05-21-2005, 10:56 PM
I don't have a physically demanding job now, but I have in the past. Actually, I used to help my brother on a pop route in the late 80s. I don't know if you've been working since then or not, but if you haven't you can feel lucky you didn't have to deal w. glass bottles!

Make sure your nutrition and sleep is meeting your needs. This is more critical for you than people w. more sedentary jobs.

Your lower back will take a beating, so make sure that you don't ignore your abs. Ice your lower back after work when you can.

I think you're going to have to curb the volume a little for a while until you've gotten used to WS. You can dump some of the accessory/auxiliary work - keep the main ME and DE exercises/sets of course and add the accessory/auxiliary work when you can. Don't wuss out, but don't be so stubborn that you end up overtraining or burning out and stop lifting entirely. Be patient, it will get better.

giblit
05-21-2005, 11:20 PM
its just so hard to go to the gym workin 6 days a week 10-12 hours a day. i already told my boss im not gunna keep doin this, for very much longer, i told him to find a replacement within couple months.

Eric_Yager
05-22-2005, 07:10 AM
ok so im starting westside for the first time in about a week and a half and im a coke cola merchindiser and those 10lb cases of coke get damn heavy after a 10-12 hour day and my back is killing me after my day, my question is if anyone else has a real physical job and how they deal with it and still manage to powerlift.

I work in a shipping supply warehouse during the day and train westside right after work. Its an extremely physically demanding job since a massive amount of what we sell is 125 pound coils of steel strapping and nobody wants to order a full skid of it. I've actually found that I'm stronger when I'm working than when I'm up at school.

I deal with it using some pre-workout caffeine and good music with loud headphones.

Paul Stagg
05-22-2005, 06:20 PM
You might want to try more rest days - train 3 days a week.

I do WSB style training, but train every other day (an 8 day cycle). So far, I like it.

Sensei
05-22-2005, 07:04 PM
I agree. If you can do WS 3x/week, it will probably work better for you than trying to get in 4x/week.

Also, it sounds like you've just started this job. Trust me, it will definately take a month or two before you get more accustomed to the work load. Depending on your route, you'll get a lot faster at it too - your days will probably get a little shorter later on. Don't be so quick to turn in your resignation.

giblit
05-22-2005, 08:03 PM
no we talked and he told me to stick around till the 1st of the year becasue our contract with our union is being redone and were all lookin at 5 dollar raises and they say our work load will be smaller becasue were on a hiring freeze. ill just have to deal with it, i went to the gym today and was able to box squat but it was 20 pounds off my 5rm but ohh well time to put the purse down and lift.