PDA

View Full Version : Scientists Say Sunshine May Prevent Cancer -Vitamin D-3

Owen
05-22-2005, 09:22 AM
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050521/D8A7MPFG0.html

I thought this was interesting, and nutrition related.

Dedicated
05-22-2005, 09:29 AM
It also raises test levels too I think 10% or something, I forget, but it's a fairly large percentage.

manowar669
05-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Sunlight has many benefits, some we barely understand just because the studies aren't there. The body uses sunshine to manufacture vitamin D. People who don't get enough D can develop Ricketts (I think).
Personally, I believe the main benefits of sunshine are psychological (Mood, circadian rythym, etc.).

Dedicated
05-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Yea that is why milk is vitamin D fortified cause of ricketts.

Shao-LiN
05-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Not really new. There are many health benefits to getting sun exposure, but overexposure can also cause cancer.

getfit
05-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Not really new. There are many health benefits to getting sun exposure, but overexposure can also cause cancer.
:withstupi so very true!

waynis
05-24-2005, 02:50 PM
The sun is suppost to be the best source of Vitamin D. I notice in the winter I get more depressed and just un-motivated. When I get sunshine I feel great. In the summer I always feel the best. Maybe lack of Vitamin D? Big reason why I want to move to FLORIDA! :)

CarlP
05-24-2005, 05:00 PM
The sun is good for you, the sun will kill you, make up your mind.

getfit
05-24-2005, 05:02 PM
the sun is good for you! limited exposure

the sun is bad for you with tremedous overexposure can cause skin cancer "melanoma" and yes you can die!
and various other skin cancers

Shao-LiN
05-24-2005, 06:14 PM

Ok. It does both. Mind is made up.

waynis
05-24-2005, 07:51 PM
everything in moderation. Except trans fat :thumbup:

Owen
05-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Well, I thought this was interesting:

"People tend to go overboard with even a hint of encouragement to get more sun exposure," Thun said, adding that he'd prefer people get more of the nutrient from food or pills.

But this is difficult. Vitamin D occurs naturally in salmon, tuna and other oily fish, and is routinely added to milk. However, diet accounts for very little of the vitamin D circulating in blood, Giovannucci said.

Supplements contain the nutrient, but most use an old form - D-2 - that is far less potent than the more desirable D-3. Multivitamins typically contain only small amounts of D-2 and include vitamin A, which offsets many of D's benefits.

As a result, pills might not raise vitamin D levels much at all.

and:

That is why nutrition experts think vitamin D-3 supplements may be especially helpful during winter, and for dark-skinned people all the time.

But too much of the pill variety can cause a dangerous buildup of calcium in the body. The government says 2,000 IUs is the upper daily limit for anyone over a year old.

On the other hand, D from sunshine has no such limit. It's almost impossible to overdose when getting it this way. However, it is possible to get skin cancer. And this is where the dermatology establishment and Dr. Michael Holick part company.

So should one find these vitamin D-3 supplaments and take 1500 IUs a day? How do you all handle these types of studies? They seem to come out all the time.

waynis
05-24-2005, 08:43 PM
it's interesting to think how many of us.. especially in colder climates don't get enough vitamin D threw the winter. Maybe this is why so many people get the winter blues? I know every winter I always feel more down. When spring comes I start to feel better but when i'am going to the beach every so often and playing volleyball or basketball outside I seem to feel like a whole different person. A LOT more energy and just better mentally too. Interesting..maybe the vitamin D supplementation threw the winter would be a good idea. The amounts that come from food are small.

bigsethmeister
05-25-2005, 11:05 AM
I know every winter I always feel more down. When spring comes I start to feel better but when i'am going to the beach every so often and playing volleyball or basketball outside I seem to feel like a whole different person. A LOT more energy and just better mentally too.

Same here. Do some research on Seasonal Affective Disorder. I actually bought one of the lamps and it seems to help a little.

My long term plan includes moving to AZ

:cool:

Owen
05-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Arizona is nice. Did you know that you can down hill (snow) ski in the mountainous regions of AZ? Yea, its like the best of both worlds. :-). Plus Brooke Burke is from there. Im just sayin.