PDA

View Full Version : Body Fat

BBar23
05-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Ok, I have been cutting recently and I have been taking the weight off but the body fat is still there. I have a scale that calculates the body fat for you and it says that I am at 14%. I weight 174 and am 6'2. Is that possible. I think that may be inaccurate. How can you calculate your own body fat? Also, is there anything else that I should be doing to help me loose bf. That little pouch under my belly button is getting on my friggin' nerves!!

TheGimp
05-23-2005, 06:27 AM
Based on the information you've given of course it's possible. Bodyfat scales are inaccurate however (do a search on Tanita for many threads on the subject). An alternative approach would be the use of callipers, or simply a measuring tape around the waist (probably hips for a female). It's more important to track that the measurement is decreasing than its absolute value. If you're a male, then fat around the waist is almost certainly going to be the last to go.

Shao-LiN
05-23-2005, 07:02 AM
Belly fat is among the last to go.

Sin
05-23-2005, 07:47 AM
I think i have the same problem as you. Scale going down, but no visual results. I konw the belly goes last but then what goes first? I wanna know so i can see if this is actually working.

TheGimp
05-23-2005, 08:24 AM
what goes first?

If I'm not mistaken, visceral fat is generally the first to go. This is excess fat around your organs rather than subcutaneous fat.

Isaac Wilkins
05-23-2005, 09:00 AM
If I'm not mistaken, visceral fat is generally the first to go. This is excess fat around your organs rather than subcutaneous fat.

Generally this is true. After that most people start to lean up from the outside in (hands and feet -> forearms and calves -> upper arms and quads -> etc). Of course you'll be losing fat from all over your body, and the fat on the extremities tends to be thinner, so the loss is more noticable. The center fat tends to be the longest to stick around, though.

Sin
05-25-2005, 01:55 PM
wow. i never knew that ur interior fat diminishes first. So then does this mean it's normal in a cut to see the scale drop but not visually be able to spot your fat going away until later? Eventually, the fat will disapear even in the last places?

waynis
05-25-2005, 03:04 PM
on my cardio cut right now. Not really eating less. actually eating more because of all the calories i'am burning and I need the energy. But I am losing some body fat. It's slow but I notice biggest changes in my chest, neck, face, the stomach is where i have the most soo I know that's going to take time. But it's wierd how you don't appear to be thinner but if you put on a suit or a jacket then you feel it. I think i'am somewhere in the high 14s on body fat. I wanted to get near 10 or so by july. Doubt that will happen. We'll see.