PDA

View Full Version : Exams

staytru
05-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Hi im 18 years old 6ft4 and 172lb

I have been lifting since September 2004 and feel much better for it i lost about 50lbs as i was a fat.. lol and now i am in a dilemma.

I am currently bulking, but now i have exams for 7 weeks and dont want to lose my gains. Moreover, i will not have access to a gym as they are soo far away all i have is a very light barbell and dumbell at home, no bench.

I have as from today also started boxing training which i aim to go on Mon/Wednesday.

If someone can assist me with a new diet or regime, this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks bro's/sistaz!

Beast
05-24-2005, 06:52 AM
How do you have 7 weeks of exams???

staytru
05-24-2005, 10:46 AM
how?

My first exam was yesterday 23rd MAY and my final exam in 29th June.. not quite 7 weeks but a lengthy period for sure.

what shall i do? end my bulk and just act as a normal guy for a while? with a clean diet?

Shao-LiN
05-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Sure, if you want. Take a break if you think you don't have the time.

staytru
05-25-2005, 05:43 AM
how should i change my diet in accordance?

Shao-LiN
05-25-2005, 07:01 AM
Eat at maintenance.

Drai's
05-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Eat at maintenance.

:withstupi I'm still kind of confused though. Why did you have access to a gym before, but don't now? If you're in university, exam time is basically like a vacation. You have no classes and all you have to do is study a bit; I can't think of a point in your life where you'll have more time for the gym. Exam time usually turns into twice/day sessions for myself. Now I guess if you're in high school things are different, but it's kind of weird to have 7 weeks of exams in high school.

TheGimp
05-25-2005, 10:04 AM
You have no classes and all you have to do is study a bit

Some people might have to study a lot.

Drai's
05-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Some people might have to study a lot.

If that's your only committment you can study a TON and still have plenty of time for the gym.

TheGimp
05-25-2005, 10:13 AM
If that's your only committment you can study a TON and still have plenty of time for the gym.

But it's not just finding time for the gym. It is finding the time, and the inclination, to eat enough and regularly. Exams can be very stressful.

Drai's
05-25-2005, 10:32 AM
But it's not just finding time for the gym. It is finding the time, and the inclination, to eat enough and regularly. Exams can be very stressful.

Eating is a necessity, especially when studying. There should be no excuse for missing a meal. You don't have to be making Emeril's latest dish; something quick and simple and back to the books works just fine if that's what you have to do.

As for exams being stressful, that's completely self-derived. And most of the time it's the people spending all day studying who are the ones stressed out.

TheGimp
05-25-2005, 11:05 AM
As for exams being stressful, that's completely self-derived.

Exactly. While you may view it as the perfect time to concentrate on the bodybuilding aspects of your life, it is important to appreciate that others may have the (possibly irrational) belief that there is little time for anything other than revision.

Certainly it is true that eating is necessary, and beneficial, to study, but eating over maintenance is certainly not necessary, and I was referring to hard gainers that often have to force themselves to eat enough calories to gain weight.

As I am sure you are aware, stress causes the hormone cortisol to be secreted which is catabolic and can encourage fat gain, hardly ideal conditions for bodybuilding.

Drai's
05-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Certainly it is true that eating is necessary, and beneficial, to study, but eating over maintenance is certainly not necessary, and I was referring to hard gainers that often have to force themselves to eat enough calories to gain weight.

Even if you have to eat a little messy, eating should never be a problem. It's been said so many times on this board, but just use pb as an example. I don't know how anyone couldn't eat a significant amount of it and it would supply plenty of cals. It also only takes a couple of minutes of your time. There's other foods that could accomplish the same goal as well.

As I am sure you are aware, stress causes the hormone cortisol to be secreted which is catabolic and can encourage fat gain, hardly ideal conditions for bodybuilding.

Yeah, I'm definitely aware of what stress can do, but I don't feel much sympathy for someone stressing over exams. Death, the end of a relationship, losing one's job...those are stressful situations. Sweating exams is really a waste of time.

JiggaHertz
05-25-2005, 02:43 PM
I understand that exams can be a stressful time, but I think if anything that makes it a better time to work out. I enjoyed working out during exams because I could go on off hours and it was a great way to relieve stress. I'm not sure how many exams you have over a 7 week period, but I find it hard to believe you don't have some free time in there. I assume there is a gym at school and that you're living far off campus? Maybe you could go to campus a few days out of the week to study there, and workout after your exams.