PDA

View Full Version : refeeds

spanky33
05-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Hey everyone, i have a few quick questions about refeeds.

I'm currently 12% BF, aiming for 10%. My current diet is p/c/f : 40/40/20. I cut around 700 calories/day.

1) At my BF, how often should I refeed/cheat?
2)What should I aim for in terms of calories (maintenance, +10%, +20%)?
3) is it a good idea to cut carbs the day before a refeed?
4) is it a bad idea to do a depletion workout and a power work out on consecutive days?

Thanks for the help

ReelBigFish
05-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Hey everyone, i have a few quick questions about refeeds.

I'm currently 12% BF, aiming for 10%. My current diet is p/c/f : 40/40/20. I cut around 700 calories/day.

4) is it a bad idea to do a depletion workout and a power work out on consecutive days?

Thanks for the help

First, don't start with a 700 cal. a day cut from your maintanence cals. Start with like 200-300 then adjust from there because once your body adapts to that big cut of cals. then you have to cut cals more or increase by cardio by a lot. A refeed isn't needed unless you're doing low carb or carb-cycling style diet, or unless your cals. are really low. If you are doing some sort of carb-cycling and you eventually notice you are very weak, and unenergized, then do a 30 hr. reefeed or something like that. BUt since you are just starting to cut then i wouldn't really worry about that right now. Now when the time comes, a refeed and a cheat are two diff. things. A cheat day/meal is when you eat what ever the f*** you want where as a refeed is just a time period where you get your normal amount of prot. and then eat as many, low fat, low fiber carbs until you're satisfied. Good things to eat during this are pastas, low fat sugar free ice cream, bread, some eat rice cakes. Just mostly stuff like that. as far as the workouts, i can't help you on that one.

Shao-LiN
05-24-2005, 06:18 PM
A refeed isn't needed unless you're doing low carb or carb-cycling style diet, or unless your cals. are really low.

Controlled and planned refeeds are pretty beneficial low carb or balanced diet. The key reason for refeeds is to affect leptin. A low carb diet is a method of dieting, but your leptin levels will decrease with a caloric deficit regardless of the type of diet you are using.

spanky33
05-24-2005, 07:43 PM
yea that's what i figured. the refeed is meant to stop metabolic slowdown. so when you say dont start with a 700 cal deficit, i'm doing the 700 cal deficit, but with regular refeeds in order to maintain a high metabolism. that's why i asked how often.

Built
05-24-2005, 07:44 PM
I don't know how many to suggest, but from what I've read, the lower the drop in calories, the more frequent the refeeds.

Maybe try one a week? Lots of carbs.

spanky33
05-24-2005, 08:22 PM
so cut carbs the day b4?
and what about the depletion workout the day b4 a power workout?

Built
05-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Bump. I was just suggesting a high-calorie, high-carb refeed as a break from dieting. I need to understand more about the whole "depletion/carb load" thing.

spanky33
05-25-2005, 05:05 PM
sorry to bump this back up but i'm sure more ppl have experiences with refeeds

ryuage
05-25-2005, 05:32 PM
http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

spanky33
05-25-2005, 05:32 PM
thanks

Maki Riddington
05-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Your refeeds should be based on how your body reacts to holding them and your current bodyfat %. For example, a 24 hour refeed for me is out of the question. I end up spilling over even if it's super low fat. I've found that my body reacts a lot beter to a 6 hour refeed.

ryuage
05-25-2005, 05:39 PM
well I wouldnt base it so much on time but how much you are eating and how depleted you are.... sure if you are going on an all out fest over 24 hours you will get some spillover but then again that is the point of a refeed in a sense.

Maki Riddington
05-25-2005, 06:40 PM
well I wouldnt base it so much on time but how much you are eating and how depleted you are.... sure if you are going on an all out fest over 24 hours you will get some spillover but then again that is the point of a refeed in a sense.

Generally a refeed can last anywhere from 8-24 hours. In this time you take in a number of calories according to bodyweight/bodyfat %. I have found that if I refeed for only 6 hours I tend to have less spill over granted I am in the same state of depletion.

As for spillover, you are thinking of an overfeeding period. There is a difference between refeeding and overfeeding imo.

ryuage
05-25-2005, 06:54 PM
I think they are the same in essence I say you want spillover in terms of raising leptin giving your body that fed signal somewhat giving you a 1 step back 2 steps forward approach.

Maki Riddington
05-25-2005, 07:22 PM
But even with the fed signal it can be argued that an overfeed for the purpose of boosting leptin levels is pointless as after a period of time leptin levels drop back down. "Leptin kicks up and down very rapidly as energy intake fluctuates." Dr Berardi.

Drai's
05-26-2005, 02:00 PM
As Lyle points out in UD2, you "can" do short refeeds, but if you want them to help boost your metabolism back up they need to be fairly significant. Of course, there are many reasons for refeeding, the metabolism boost being only one of them. This is his main reasoning for suggesting a 30-hour refeed in UD2.

I would say every 4-5 days.

Doesn't really matter. Keep fat low, protein moderate, and just get your carbs in.

When consuming only 700 calories/day (probably not the best idea but that's another story altogether) you shouldn't be eating ANY carbs at all any day except the refeed. 700 calories of pure protein is only 175g protein. On such a calorie restricted diet you need at least that much if you want to spare any muscle at all.

You should do your depletion workouts at the start of each cycle and the power workout the day after the carb-up. As such, I would say a power workout followed by a depletion workout is a possibility, but not the other way around.

spanky33
05-26-2005, 02:08 PM
whoa whoa. i think you misunderstood. I'm not eating 700 cals / day. I'm eating 700 sub maintenance per day. 700/ day at 11-12% body fat would probably kill me haha.
But thanks alot for the other responses.

Drai's
05-26-2005, 04:59 PM
At 700 below maintenance you can probably go longer between refeeds...either that or you won't need as large a refeed.

spanky33
05-26-2005, 05:01 PM
yea i figure i'll hit maintenance once a week. 6 * 700 = 4200 cal deficit a week. Then a maintenance refeed, or if I need it, go maybe 200 above maintenance, and I'll still have a 4k deficit for the week.
Thanks again