PDA

View Full Version : Are all multivitamins the same?

DjArcadian
05-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Starting up a bulk routine and I'm looking into multivitamins. Is there any specific ones that are better than others? Any I should avoid? I've never taken multivitamins before. Also, I once heard that vitamins usually aren't effective unless they're coated in protein. Any truth to this?

Ironminded
05-24-2005, 10:59 AM
No, not all multi's are the same. There are three things you should look for in a multi; the amount of the minerals and vitamins contained therein, the delivery system and the potency. The last two are interconnected.

You need to make sure that the multi you are taking is getting you the right amount of nutrients, if it is not, if it does not even contain enough iron, or magnesium for example, then there are probably better things out there.

And the delivery system and potency; you need to do some research and make sure your body can absord the nutrients in the form they are contained in in the multi. Centrium for example is horrid, in that the binding system they use, the way they get thier vitamins and minerals to stick together in pill form, is such that it is very hard if not impossible to absorb and break down so the body can get those nutrients. Tums is the same way, if you are taking Tums for calcium you are not getting much cause the body has a hard time breaking down the chemical compound in which the calcium is contained.

In Short; taking a multi over nothing is good, but doing some research on which one to take, and how it will affect you will pay dividends in the long run.

DjArcadian
05-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the info. How do I know what delivery system is right for me? Is it based on my diet, age, sex, etc? Where do I begin to find out what will work best for me? What do you use?