PDA

View Full Version : Best high GI after workout foods.

WilliamX
12-06-2001, 03:15 PM
Hi. I wanted to find out what are the best high GI carb-rich foods I can eat ater working out.

I usually eat bananas or grape juice. Are there other nice practical nutritious and tasty alternatives I can get from the grocery/fruit store or bakery?
Thank you.

12-06-2001, 03:37 PM
dextrose
maltodextrine
white bread
white rice

gopro
12-06-2001, 04:14 PM
William...stay away from fruits and fruit juices..they contain mostly fructose which is not a great carb for replenishing MUSCLE glycogen...Avatar made some good suggestions...white potatoes and rice cakes are good too.

WilliamX
12-06-2001, 04:53 PM
How about all that stuff they sell in the bakery? there's a bakery near where I work out.

Qea
12-06-2001, 06:50 PM
You should prefably take in a liquid meal after your workouts because you need something that's quick to digest and absorbed

Solid food takes longer to digest

I personally take a drink made of high GI carbs (Dextrose) and whey protein (Concentrate cuz I can't afford that hydrolized crap)

hope this helps

gopro
12-07-2001, 08:08 AM
Angel food cake is actually a good post workout carb eaten with some whey.

WilliamX
12-07-2001, 09:10 AM
Thank you everybody for your replies.

Dextrose, maltodextrine - where do you guys buy them from? How much are they? Do they come in powder form and do you have to mix them with water?
Because I'm really clueless about that stuff.

gopro
12-07-2001, 09:26 AM
Many online supplement companies have them. Yes, they are in powder form to be mixed with water or into a protein drink. They are generally pretty cheap.

Prelude
12-07-2001, 02:36 PM
I personally take a drink made of high GI carbs (Dextrose) and whey protein (Concentrate cuz I can't afford that hydrolized crap)

Hey Qea, what I do is I mix 2 scoops of regular whey and a scoop of the hydro 1400 from Protein Factory with some malt. Also, not sure if you know they sell the Post WO formula which is 50% hydro 1400 and 50% malt for only $5 / lb.

big calvin
12-07-2001, 09:41 PM
take some oats...right doc? ;)

gopro
12-08-2001, 02:45 PM
Oats, while a terrific carb, are too slow moving for post workout.

the doc
12-08-2001, 03:17 PM
well he asked specificly for high gi sources.

If you want to know about low gi carb use, as well as the fact that you really dont need high gi (greatly depends on goals), there are a few threads down below that will help

the doc
12-08-2001, 03:17 PM
i myself would use the oats,

gopro
12-08-2001, 03:35 PM
Hey doc...if you have had success in your endeavors using the oats post workout, more power to ya. I am a big believer of high GI at post workout, but only at post workout. I will follow my post W.O. meal about an hour later with a protein and low GI carb.

Funny thing about the GI though...people rarely take into account how much protein and fat will impact the GI of a carb.

mickeys
12-08-2001, 11:20 PM
juice is good, table sugar is best...

have some gatoraide with table sugar

body
12-09-2001, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by mickeys
juice is good, table sugar is best...

have some gatoraide with table sugar

table sugar is meduim GI(sucrose) high Gi is dextrose(not used in table sugar as different sweetness) and probably more expensive.

WilliamX
12-11-2001, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by gopro

Funny thing about the GI though...people rarely take into account how much protein and fat will impact the GI of a carb. [/B]

OK. Thanks for your replies. I got some dextrose from the pharmacy. Should I wait for a while after I drink it before I drink my protein since protein may impact the GI. ? If so how long should I wait?

gopro
12-11-2001, 06:24 PM
WillX...if you are going to have a protein drink you can mix them together. Preferably, the protein should be in the form of whey.

Prelude
12-12-2001, 07:38 AM
dextrose at the Pharmacy?????

you got the powder, right? Not the liquid form that they stick with IV needle to your arm ar the hospital. Just making sure, hehe

you can buy dextrose or maltodestrin at www.proteinfactory.com
for $2.49 per lb.

Prelude
12-12-2001, 07:38 AM
dextrose at the Pharmacy?????

you got the powder, right? Not the liquid kind that they stick with IV needle to your arm ar the hospital. Just making sure, hehe

you can buy dextrose or maltodestrin at www.proteinfactory.com
for $2.49 per lb.