PDA

View Full Version : New user needs some advice

Unreal
05-25-2005, 03:49 PM
I've been working out since August with decent results. I went from 6'2" 280lbs to my current weight of 220lbs. Went from a size 44 pants to a size 36. Basically just started lifting weights, and doing cardio as much as possable, while cutting out sugar/snacks/fat. Haven't been following anything too strict. My problem is for the past 5 weeks or so I haven't seemed to lose anymore weight. I definately got a ways to go. So being summer, and being out of my normal college student routine and working a 7-4 job M-F, I'm trying to get myself on a routine/diet to get the last 15-20lbs off, and get some definition.

Here is my fitday page.
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=nvisokey

Only started it yesterday. I'll keep it updated with what I eat and routines.

So far I've been eating a bowl of cereal/skim milk in the moring with coffee. Wheaties/plain cheerios/shredded wheat. This week after reading I switched over to instant oatmeal which taste alot better. I've been scramling eggs when I have enough time in the morning to cook them before work, but sometimes I'm in a rush and don't have time to cook the eggs. Lunches are usually sandwhich and salad. Dinner is usually chicken breast and salad.

So far I've been eating breakfast around 6 when I wake up, lunch around 11, and dinner around 4. I've been eating a "zone" bar around 9 for a snack and drink tons of water during the day. Probably well over a gallon. I drink 5-6 cups of coffee. I take a multi-vitamin in the morning.

Anyways, I normally goto the gym around 6-7 and work out for a 1-1.5 hours. Normally lift for the 1st 45 minutes then cardio afterwards on the elliptical machine. From what I've read I'm not sure if this is good or bad. If I'm working too hard for results when I could be doing something more effective. I normally just drink plenty of water afterwards and don't eat anything till the next morning.

What should my eating schedule be like? Calorie intake? I'm trying to lose weight, but also want to increase muscle. It has been working, as I can lift ALOT more than when I started, and have lost over 60lbs, but from my reading I"m not doing it the easy way.

Are there any suppliments or stuff I should look into? I do have a 5lb thing of whey protein in the kitchen but at 120 calories/22g protein per scoop I've been staying away from it because I don't want excessive calories.

How much cardio? For awhile when I was in school I was doing 40-50 minutes of cardio daily on the elliptical. According to the machines calorie counter I would do around 700 calories per session but I question its accuracy. Given I've been trying to stick to around 1700-2000 calories a day.

My weight lifting schedule is

Biceps/Back/Abs/30-40 cardio
Chest/Triceps/Abs/30-40 cardio
45-50 Cardio Day/Abs
Shoulders/Delts/Abs/30-40 cardio
45-50 Cardio Day/Abs
Legs/Abs/20-25 cardio (legs dead, can't do much cardio when legs are butter)
Day off
Repeat

Basically, I need some advice. I've been told that too much cardio may actually be hurting. Is my diet too strict? Too excessive? Am I working my abs way too much doing them near daily?

I want to lose 15-20lbs and increase strength, so what should I do?

Nick

thajeepster
05-25-2005, 05:39 PM
lol, i loved how you logged your dressing and undressing... 23cals, damn i should change more often.

Unreal
05-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Was just adding random stuff. I should have added beating off under sexual activity I guess. Just took too long to find some of the activities and stuff.

Going to the gym in a few to hit arms/back/abs/cardio. Just ate a can of sauerkraut and a grilled pork chop. Should I do a protein shake before? After? Never?

Jabberwocky
05-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Shake after work out.

I think you should up your fats and calorie a bit

Unreal
05-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Just had a 22g protein whey/1 cup skim milt/1 teaspoon natural peanut butter shake.

What should I shoot for calorie wise? Is 2100-2200 too low even when trying to "cut"?

Jabberwocky
05-25-2005, 08:51 PM
I'd start at 2300-2500 and see how your body responds.

Maki Riddington
05-25-2005, 08:59 PM
I want to lose 15-20lbs and increase strength, so what should I do?

Nick

The first thing you need to do is increase your calories by about 150 cals a week. Then slowly cut back on the cardio. Take one day out every two weeks. Your routine could also do with a revamp as well.

Unreal
05-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Well, what do you suggest then? So cut back on cardio? Should I not do cardio on lifting days? Should I have strictly cardio days, then strictly lifting days? Increase calories slowly to what? 2500? 3000?

What about supplements? Creatine? Glutamine? Etc?