PDA

View Full Version : Is my diet ok? (healthy)

fierce
05-25-2005, 05:50 PM
I started my diet for the summer 3 weeks ago, and ive made really good progress.. I just want to know if you guys this its healthy, i dont want to get sick from a bad diet.. I take in roughly 1500 calories a day, and do a 3 mile jog 5 days a week and abs 4/5 days a week.

Breakfast:
1 Bulky Roll, 2 grilled eggs, 1 slice fat free american cheese
OR
2 cup of shreaded wheat with milk

Lunch:
One Lean cuisean (usually somewhere around 300 caloried)
OR
one wrap, couple slices of turkey and ham, fat free mayo

Dinner:
Broiled Steak(1lb) with veggies
OR
Grilled chicken(1lb) with veggies

and then in between for little snacks ill have some fruit and some cottage cheese....
So far in the 3 weeks ive lost about 5 pounds and im really happy with my progress.. i just want to lose another 10 before mid july...

getfit
05-25-2005, 05:51 PM
where are your fats?

fierce
05-25-2005, 05:52 PM
where are your fats?
well I use a little oil for the eggs in the morning.... the cottage cheese has some fat, and the lean cuiseans probably have like 10g... not getting very much of them though i guess...

getfit
05-25-2005, 05:53 PM
what are your stats?

goals?

fierce
05-25-2005, 05:59 PM
what are your stats?

goals?

oh yeah i should have added this..... i am not lifting or trying to gain muscle... just trying to lose a few pounds before the summer...

and I am 5'10 175lbs... want to get to 165 by july 11th

Dedicated
05-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Well you will definitely reach your goal if you continue, but, you will also lose alot of muscle. 1500 cals is not very much. I've dieted at 1500 cals, with similiar stats to yours, I'm a little shorter, and I lost fat, but I lost TONS of muscle heh. I stopped losing muscle when I bumped my calories to 1800. I started regaining strength/muscle when I went to 2300-2500. Everyone's different, but those are just some numbers to think about. I would "at least" go to 1800 cals. I think you will lose weight at 1800 cals. Personally I would aim for 2000.

Built
05-25-2005, 06:31 PM
And lift heavy. You won't bulk, because you are on sub-maintenance calories. But you'll convince your body to hang onto whatever lbm you now have, and stand a better chance of dropping mostly fat instead of half muscle, half fat.

I don't see enough protein, enough fat, enough calories, or enough veggies.

Or enough lifting.

fierce
05-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Well like I said before, I dont lift... and i dont think starting to lift for 6 weeks is going to do anything for me.. i just want to concentrate on dropping some fat.. if I drop some muscle in the process thats fine, its a given..

my question is just whether or not this is a 'healthy' diet, i dont want my immune system getting weak etc

thanks for the suggestions

Built
05-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Lifting will help you drop fat. That's why I suggested it.

I don't think this is a healthy diet, no.

ReelBigFish
05-25-2005, 11:53 PM
lifting weights for 6 weeks will help you, if you don't lift, you risk losing more muscle mass.

I wouldn't start out with that much cardio already man. Once your body adapts to you jogging 5 days a week what will you do then? i would start out with 2-3 days a week then add of length/days from there.

fierce
05-26-2005, 06:30 AM
lifting weights for 6 weeks will help you, if you don't lift, you risk losing more muscle mass.

I wouldn't start out with that much cardio already man. Once your body adapts to you jogging 5 days a week what will you do then? i would start out with 2-3 days a week then add of length/days from there.

Running 3 miles a day isnt really much for me... I am pretty active playing soccer a couple times a week, basketball, raquetteball ect... I could easily run 7-8 miles a day if I wanted to, its just not needed...

shrug

TheGimp
05-26-2005, 07:11 AM
You do realise that the metabolic boost from an hour of lifting results in far greater calories being burnt than an hour of cardio? Resistance training is an extremely effective tool for weight loss.

And please tell me what is the point in doing only abs 4/5 times a week.

WeGoDumb
05-26-2005, 11:14 AM
why did u come here if you have your mind set on one thing? A big pear who runs 5 days a week with low caloric intake only ends up becoming, guess what, a small pear with low caloric intake.

Guido
05-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Your going to die with that diet. It will kill you. If you won't change, then give up hope now.

fierce
05-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Man, sometimes I really hate asking questions in forums like this because people cant help people on an individual basis..

If you want me to get into detail, I lifted hard for 3 years, and got up to the point where I could do a barbell press of 225 (for sets), and 85 DB inclines for sets... I was much stronger, but I didnt look good at all. My diet was fine, my metabolism is just awful and I couldnt lose weight without cutting calories and doing a lot of cardio, which when I did restricted my muscle gain... so I was getting no where fast..

I dont care at all about being big or strong... i just care about my weight... I would rather diet and run than weight lift, i didnt that for 3 years and stilled looked like ****.. I look better now than I did while I was lifting. Much better. I do understand that lifting will help in my weight loss, but I dont NEED help in weight loss.. that wasnt what I was asking for.

Im not asking whether or not you think I will lose weight with my diet, I know I will and thats all I want to achieve.. I was just asking if I am to low on anything, if I should supplement something in (like vitamins or something)

but no one has really tried to answer my question, and no one ever really seems to here... they just throw their routine onto someone else and say its the best way for everyone

fierce
05-26-2005, 01:58 PM
why did u come here if you have your mind set on one thing? A big pear who runs 5 days a week with low caloric intake only ends up becoming, guess what, a small pear with low caloric intake.

re-read my initial post, I didnt come in here asking for opinions on how I can lose weight...

If I could just get some serious answers to my question that would be great, instead of everyone reading in between the lines :ninja:

TheGimp
05-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Man, sometimes I really hate asking questions in forums like this because people cant help people on an individual basis..

Alternatively you could have explained all of that in the first place so that we understood your individual situation perfectly and could better advise you.

You haven't explained the ab thing. You say you're not interested in gaining muscle so you must be under the mistaken impression you can spot reduce fat.

I would say a multivitamin is essential. Although you mention veggies it doesn't look like you are getting five servings a day. For optimal health I would say this is a minimum (or fruit also). I would also lose the ready meal.

EDIT: I would also reiterate the advice of other members to dramatically increase your fat intake. It is necessary for proper hormone production. EFAs as their name suggests are essential.

fierce
05-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Alternatively you could have explained all of that in the first place so that we understood your individual situation perfectly and could better advise you.

You haven't explained the ab thing. You say you're not interested in gaining muscle so you must be under the mistaken impression you can spot reduce fat.

I would say a multivitamin is essential. Although you mention veggies it doesn't look like you are getting five servings a day. For optimal health I would say this is a minimum (or fruit also). I would also lose the ready meal.

EDIT: I would also reiterate the advice of other members to dramatically increase your fat intake. It is necessary for proper hormone production. EFAs as their name suggests are essential.

I know you cant spot reduce fat... I naturally have pretty decent abs, and I think once I lose another 10 lbs they will be showing pretty nicely right now I can see the top 4 and thats it.. I wanted my stomach to be a little more firm.. dont really care about the rest.. this is why I am doing abs..

What would be a GOOD source for fat besides natty PB and fish?

TheGimp
05-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Fish oil caps for EFAs

Olive oil, avocados, nuts

WBBIRL
05-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Biggest thing about fat is no ammount of working of cardio can really lose you fat, you can do 1000000000 ab crunches everyday and will have ripped abs but unless your diet is proper then youll have fat covered ripped abs. As you may or may not have heard your gut (stomace) area is one of if not the last place youll lose fat. If at all possible reduce cardio more and increase weightlifting, that will take fat off alot. Now I understand that you dont need help with loseing weight but wrather want your diet evaluated. As far as a diet would go, add in more greens and fruits. Eat alot of chicken and tuna.... some stake would help. Cottage cheese is really good and a protein shake would do you some good here and there. Those calories are low, id suggest not doing anything under 2000... espically with all that cardio (id really cut it to around half if not less). You will almost undoutely lose muscle mass on that few calories.