PDA

View Full Version : Coffee, diet soda and beer

DjArcadian
05-26-2005, 11:39 AM
I tend to drink a lot of coffee, some diet soda and beer on some weekends. Not much beer. I'm worried about what effects coffee might have on muscle growth. I tend to drink 2 to 3 large cups a day. Will that have any drastic negative effects on muscle growth?

Same question for diet soda and beer.

drew
05-26-2005, 11:57 AM
HOORAY for coffee! Just watch the sugar. I drink mine black. The caffeine will boost your energy level and your metabolism. I wouldn't drink way too much diet soda, just make sure you're drinking a lot of plain water. Beer is a no-no if you're strict, but it ain't gonna kill you to have a couple beers on a Friday night. Just keep your cals in check.

getfit
05-26-2005, 12:00 PM
HOORAY for coffee! Just watch the sugar. I drink mine black. The caffeine will boost your energy level and your metabolism. I wouldn't drink way too much diet soda, just make sure you're drinking a lot of plain water. Beer is a no-no if you're strict, but it ain't gonna kill you to have a couple beers on a Friday night. Just keep your cals in check.
:withstupi i couldn't function without my coffee in the morning

MM
05-26-2005, 12:43 PM
I read recently that coffee also allows you to deal with more pain, which is good for lifting.

Wierz
05-26-2005, 12:47 PM
I also read somewhere that coffee has a ton of antioxidants in it.

Dunno if that's true or not. I don't drink coffee myself. I do drink 4-6 beers over the course of the weekend usually. I've seen no adverse effects yet (of course, I'm not cutting) - but also sat/sun are my days off from lifting. :evillaugh

bigsethmeister
05-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Oh man I'm glad to see this question asked and answered.

I too am a coffeeaholic. In the summer I run through at least two HYOOOOGE black iced coffees per day SLURP

WBBIRL
05-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Dont drink the stuff but watch the diet soda... while its got lower sugar and cals it tends to be really high in sodium.

Woodward
06-03-2005, 03:31 PM
diet coke is 40mg per can of sodium, is it really a bad drink to have throughout the day??

Vapour Trails
06-03-2005, 03:54 PM
40 mg of sodium isn't very much

Built
06-03-2005, 03:59 PM
Caffeine is good for energy - I take it before lifting, cardio...

Sodium is anabolic.

Beer is the only baddie in this mix. Empty calories, plus the alcohol stops fat burning and inhibits muscle growth.

Shao-LiN
06-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Dont drink the stuff but watch the diet soda... while its got lower sugar and cals it tends to be really high in sodium.

News to me...the sodium is pretty negligible unless you drink a gallon of the stuff through the day. If that's the case, I'd go ahead and just re-evaluate your drinking habits altogether, hehe.

wrestlemaniac
06-03-2005, 06:25 PM
I personally know a 3rd generation professional athlete who's 250 pounds (and brags about his abs.... although he is like 6'5") that is border line addicted to diet cola. So yeah, it really can't be that bad cuz he lives off the stuff.