PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Diet (Opinions Wanted)

DgrenJ
05-26-2005, 02:01 PM
By no means am I a body builder here, i'm just an average guy who wants to get back into the shape I was in when I was younger (crosses fingers).

I'm 29 years old, currently about 180-185 pounds most of which is not muscle... heh...

About 4-5 Years ago I was lean, had roughly 6-9% body fat and was in the 140-150 range weight wise, best shape of my life, then I got married... nuff said.

Anyways... I would like to make an attempt to get back into shape, I've begun lifting again, and have also taken back up running, although no where near the distance I once did, I am attempting to work back up to being able to do a 5 mile run several times a week.

I wanted to run a diet past some of you, being your far wiser than I in terms of this type thing.

Meal 1
6 Egg Whites
1/4 Cup Oatmeal
2 Tbls Peanut Butter
20oz Water

Meal 2
1 MRP
1 tbsp Flax Seed Oil
20oz Water

Meal 3
1 Can Tuna
2 Cup Lettuce or Veggies
1/2 Cup Brown Rice
20oz Water

Meal 4
1 MRP
1 tbsp Flax Seed Oil
20oz Water

Meal 5
1 Chicken Breast
2 Cups Steamed Veggies or Baked/Sweet Potato
20oz Water

Meal 6
1 Protein Shake
20oz Water

Roughly the following Stats:
Calories = 2082
Protein = 233
Fat = 48
Carbs = 169

Any comments / critism would be much appreciated. I am a stickler for strict eating when I want to be, its just the past several years of my life I really have let myself go.

Thanks in advance

- DgrenJ

HILL
05-26-2005, 02:33 PM
id possibly bump up your fats a bit as in healthy fats as these are very beneficial apart from that it looks ok but you really need to find you maintenance cals then deduct roughyl 300 to start as your diet looks good but you seem to be doing alot of physical activity in which case you may have a very big calorie deficit which isnt good to start with you should take 30o cals off then when you stop loosing weight deduct more cals

Dedicated
05-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Looks good I'd just up the fats a bit, maybe by 20 grams. That is my personal preference. Otherwise it looks good.

DgrenJ
05-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Thank you guys...

Final Stats look something like this

Calories = 2202
Protein = 233
Fat = 61
Carbs = 169

I basically just threw in a few extra tbsp of Flax...

With any luck hopefully I can be slim down by the end of summer... and this time keep it off...

Thanks again for the suggestions...

- DgrenJ

Built
05-26-2005, 03:38 PM
By no means am I a body builder here, i'm just an average guy who wants to get back into the shape I was in when I was younger (crosses fingers).

I'm 29 years old, currently about 180-185 pounds most of which is not muscle... heh...

About 4-5 Years ago I was lean, had roughly 6-9% body fat and was in the 140-150 range weight wise, best shape of my life, then I got married... nuff said.

Anyways... I would like to make an attempt to get back into shape, I've begun lifting again, and have also taken back up running, although no where near the distance I once did, I am attempting to work back up to being able to do a 5 mile run several times a week.

I wanted to run a diet past some of you, being your far wiser than I in terms of this type thing.

Meal 1
6 Egg Whites
1/4 Cup Oatmeal
2 Tbls Peanut Butter
20oz Water

Meal 2
1 MRP
1 tbsp Flax Seed Oil
20oz Water

Meal 3
1 Can Tuna
2 Cup Lettuce or Veggies
1/2 Cup Brown Rice
20oz Water

Meal 4
1 MRP
1 tbsp Flax Seed Oil
20oz Water

Meal 5
1 Chicken Breast
2 Cups Steamed Veggies or Baked/Sweet Potato
20oz Water

Meal 6
1 Protein Shake
20oz Water

Roughly the following Stats:
Calories = 2082
Protein = 233
Fat = 48
Carbs = 169

Any comments / critism would be much appreciated. I am a stickler for strict eating when I want to be, its just the past several years of my life I really have let myself go.

Thanks in advance

- DgrenJ

Okay, well
Protein = 233g 46%
Fat = 48g 21%
Carbs = 169g 33%

Not sure what your maintenance calories are - your calories look a little low. I'm a buck thirty five and I'm cutting on 1900-2000 cals a day. Your protein looks good, carbs should be sufficient, fats look rather low - I don't like mine to drop below 30% of total cals. I tend to keep mine between 35-55% of total cals for comfort, but anything over 30% is generally fine.

You're doing a lot of protein shakes - I usually find I'm more comfortable eating solid food when I'm cutting calories - protein shakes just seem to go right through me.

I personally find running the kind of distances you're suggesting rather catabolic to my quads. You might reconsider this, unless you absolutely LOVE running and it's your sport of choice.

Focus on your diet for cutting, and on your lifting to maintain muscle mass while you diet.

Dedicated
05-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Thank you guys...

Final Stats look something like this

Calories = 2202
Protein = 233
Fat = 61
Carbs = 169

I basically just threw in a few extra tbsp of Flax...

With any luck hopefully I can be slim down by the end of summer... and this time keep it off...

Thanks again for the suggestions...

- DgrenJ

Looks alot better. I think you will do excellent. It looks VERY close to my diet actually. I take a little less protein and more carbs though, but it's close:)

ddegroff
06-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Looks good i would say less protein though. Im 170 and take in around 200 of grams on protein on a good day. Also i take in about 20% of also and since your tryin to lose weight that diet looks good.

Optimum08
06-01-2005, 06:46 PM
id possibly bump up your fats a bit as in healthy fats as these are very beneficial apart from that it looks ok but you really need to find you maintenance cals then deduct roughyl 300 to start as your diet looks good but you seem to be doing alot of physical activity in which case you may have a very big calorie deficit which isnt good to start with you should take 30o cals off then when you stop loosing weight deduct more cals

For the love of god, USE P-U-N-C-T-U-A-T-I-O-N.... so people can actually read what you are saying...

Built
06-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Looks good i would say less protein though. Im 170 and take in around 200 of grams on protein on a good day.
I weigh 135 and usually consume 200+g protein daily, and that's for cutting.

Also i take in about 20% of also and since your tryin to lose weight that diet looks good.
20% of what?

ddegroff
06-02-2005, 10:38 AM
20% of fat per day, sorry.

Drai's
06-02-2005, 10:43 AM
That's one of the cleanest diets I've ever seen for an "average guy". Looks good to me.