PDA

View Full Version : Good post cardio workout meal

Mercuryblade
05-27-2005, 02:53 AM
Summer is coming, and I put on the freshman 15, actually it was the freshman 18, and I didn't eat crappy or anything (no white grains (only ate wheat bread, and wheat pasta, stuck mostly to olive oil as fat source) anyway, I'm carrying around a little extra fat around my midsection that I'm looking to lose. I dont really want to cut a whole bunch, because- if you can't tell by my stats, I'm pretty skinny as it is. Anyway, after I cardio/ab day (3x a week), cardio is either running 3 miles or biking for an hour, I go and eat because good lord I'm hungry after all exercise. I'm aware of heart rates and intensities, and thermogenesis and whatnot. So I'm looking for critique strictly on the meal. This is what I eat after my cardio/ab day

1 can tuna (with 1.5 tbsp of olive oil and some spices)
2 slices of wheat bread (1 slice if im working out late at night)
1 large apple cut up
12-20 baby carrotes

Any suggestions on how to improve this meal/comments are appreciated.

WBBIRL
05-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Losing fat is 100x more centerd around how much you eat as to how much cardio you do. If cardio makes you eat that much more then ditch it all together. Ive heard alot of stories on these boards about heavy people doing cardio till the cows come home and not makeing decent results with weight/fat loss. To quote someone here ( I forget how ), Diet is the key, Calorie is the king.

Drai's
05-27-2005, 09:48 AM
That meal is ok if you're doing high intensity cardio. If not, you should ditch all the carbs and throw some fat in the mix.

Slim Schaedle
05-27-2005, 10:10 AM
That meal is ok if you're doing high intensity cardio. If not, you should ditch all the carbs and throw some fat in the mix.
Why?
And do you know what 1.5 tbsp of olive oil consists of?

ryuage
05-27-2005, 10:30 AM
please do share :D

DjArcadian
05-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Losing fat is 100x more centerd around how much you eat as to how much cardio you do. If cardio makes you eat that much more then ditch it all together. Ive heard alot of stories on these boards about heavy people doing cardio till the cows come home and not makeing decent results with weight/fat loss. To quote someone here ( I forget how ), Diet is the key, Calorie is the king.

Here's my advice and I'm sure 99% of you won't agree with me.

Don't do cardio at all. Why you ask? Because when I did it I was always hungry. Instead I took long walks. Think 1 to 1.5 hour walks everyday and watch your diet. Weight loss is 70% diet and 30% excercise.

I was 232 at my max and at my lowest I was 163 (I'm higher now because of bulking). It took me about a year to achieve that but for about 3 months somewhere within that year I wasn't dieting and I think gained 5 to 10 lbs back (I lost a job, moved to a new city, got a new job and wasn't in the highest of spirts and kind of lost control of my diet).

I owe my weight loss to Weigh****chers.com. I can't recommend their program any higher. Really taught me a lot about proper diet. Never attended a WW meeting either. Just $17 a month. Great program. Highly recommended. I got my bloodpressure tested recently. I went from 140/whatever to 115/whatever. I was really impressed with myself as was my doctor.

DjArcadian
05-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Oh, here's something I HIGHLY recommend when dieting. You MUST change up your diet. Eat different foods all the time. Watch your calories. Think 1200 to 1400 calories a day and once or twice a week eat 1500 to 1800 calories (just increase your portions to get those extra calories, don't eat junk food). Eat high fiber, low fat foods. Excercise.

That, my friend, is the key to weight loss. Period.

I recommend against any type of weight training as that tends to make you very hungry. You can lose 15 lbs in a month or two if you stick with it so you can jump back into your normal weight training after that.

Slim Schaedle
05-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Oh, here's something I HIGHLY recommend when dieting. You MUST change up your diet. Eat different foods all the time. Watch your calories. Think 1200 to 1400 a day and once or twice a week eat 1500 to 1800 (just increase your portions to get those extra calories, don't eat junk food). Eat high fiber, low fat foods. Excercise.That, my friend, is the key to weight loss. Period.

Why must you eat different foods all the time?
1200-1400??? Are these just examples? Do you realize how little that is?
And the key to weight loss is burning more calories than you consume. Period.

Slim Schaedle
05-27-2005, 12:01 PM

I'm going to give a small hint on this one.

Dedicated
05-27-2005, 01:22 PM
I agree that is way too low on the calories.

One reason to eat different foods, according to a dietician I used to know, is because if you eat the same exact thing every single day for like a year, you could be missing out on stuff that we don't even know about, like phytochemicals and who knows what else is in many different foods that our out there that we can benefit from.

But honestly, I don't think it matters that much at all. Personally I eat almost the same stuff everyday, but not exactly the same stuff. When I get lower in bf, I might have to start getting stricter and eating the same thing everyday to be even more precise with the calories.

DjArcadian
05-27-2005, 02:15 PM

This is based on my experience which worked. I used to eat the same foods all the time but I hit a plateau at 170 lbs and couldn't break it so I started eating completely different foods while maintaining the same amount of calories. When I switched it up and started eating different foods the weight loss jumped again. I think I lost 3 or 4 lbs immediately after that.

Again, this is from my experience which worked.

Beast
05-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Why are people always condemning cardio? It worked pretty ****ing well for me and still does. Diet AND cardio together are the best things for weight loss. Not to mention all of the other good effects cardio has on your body. It's only detrimental if you're eating extremely low calories or trying to run a marathon every day. So stop ****ing saying cardio is bad for cutting.

Drai's
05-27-2005, 05:06 PM
Why?

It's been discussed a zillion times on this board.

Treat HIIT like a workout as far as nutrition goes (protein + carbs); regular cardio = protein + fat).

I missed that. Therefore, my new answer is ditch everything but the tuna in olive oil and you're good to go.

Why are people always condemning cardio? It worked pretty ****ing well for me and still does. Diet AND cardio together are the best things for weight loss. Not to mention all of the other good effects cardio has on your body. It's only detrimental if you're eating extremely low calories or trying to run a marathon every day. So stop ****ing saying cardio is bad for cutting.

Good post man. Couldn't agree more.

getfit
05-27-2005, 05:09 PM
agreed

Slim Schaedle
05-27-2005, 05:57 PM
This is based on my experience which worked. I used to eat the same foods all the time but I hit a plateau at 170 lbs and couldn't break it so I started eating completely different foods while maintaining the same amount of calories. When I switched it up and started eating different foods the weight loss jumped again. I think I lost 3 or 4 lbs immediately after that.

Again, this is from my experience which worked.
Forgive me if I am picking on words, but originally you said you MUST eat different foods in order to cut. Your opinion and truths written in stone may not always be the same. I'm just clarifying as things can get very jumbled and miscontrued on the internet.

Slim Schaedle
05-27-2005, 06:04 PM
It's been discussed a zillion times on this board. Treat HIIT like a workout as far as nutrition goes (protein + carbs); regular cardio = protein + fat).

In my years on this board I must have missed one of those zillion times.

Personally, I disagree due to experience with differing macronutrient combinations so if a more scientific explaination exists, regarding ditching the carbs as you say, just point me to it.

smalls
05-28-2005, 12:05 AM

Exactly.

I think a point some people are missing here is there is no 100% right and wrong way to get it done. Some people do well on higher fat/low carb diets others do not. Some people have problems with cardio and/or dont need it to cut.

Beholder
05-30-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm going to give a small hint on this one.
Im pretty sure not alot of people know what that is so it isnt even really a small hint =)

Built
05-30-2005, 11:12 PM
I tend to stick to protein, fat, and fibrous veggies after cardio, myself. My thinking goes along this line, please feel free to correct whatever I have wrong here...

You don't get an anabolic window after cardio (presuming it's ONLY cardio, and not lifting followed by cardio), so there's no reason to stimulate an insulin response.

Cardio often leaves you feeling a little hungry. Fat with protein tends to satisfy hunger better than carb with protein. It does for me, at any rate.

And finally, fat burning stops in the presence of insulin plus glucose.

Am I close to correct here?