PDA

View Full Version : Full body work out or splitting?

HHR
05-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Currently I have been doing a split like so:

Mon- Arms, Shoulders, Chest & Traps

Wed- Forearms, Legs & Back

Fri- Repeat Mon

Following Mon- repeat Wed

& so on. My goal is to improve my fitness and strength as I train in martial arts which require me to be explosive and have great conditioning. I wondered, if you are training for sports should I be hitting the gym & targetting all my body or splitting up the way I hit my body?

I'm seeing pros & cons to full body training:

:) Hitting all my body like I would during my martial art classes/competitions. Able to mix up exercises that hit the same part of my body (e.g. One chest session, doing bench press etc, the following chest session, using a sit down push machine for the chest).

:( Feeling pretty weak at my classes which are Tues & Thurs (& sometimes Sat), I tend to feel weak at the moment during class in the area I worked on in the previous night. Another worry is the possibility of over training, I'm not in good shape so it would be positive, but I don't want to feel weak & hinder my effort during my sparring.

I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) by the way, it is grappling based & requires endurance and even though I said explosive strength, I should be saying constant strength. I am currently lifting 4 sets of an exercise at a 6-8 rep range.

Paul Stagg
05-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Either way will work fine.

lowry383
06-04-2005, 01:31 PM
ya either would work fine. i personally do the split, but also try and target areas everyday that need improvement. For me its shoulders, calves, forearms, and abs. not doing 3 sets of hard lifting but just some decent weight and how ever many sets i feel like. That seems to help me quite a bit. hope that helps