PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing??

WBBIRL
05-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Is there such a thing as Doemstic or non gym strenght?? Today we hung drywall and it seemed really hard, I mean in the gym Im fairly strong.. but if i go outside and try to move a big rock or log or something Im like weak at it. People weaker then me in the gym can do things like that better then I can. Can you be "Gym Strong"?

My dad seems to think it due to my weak forarm and grip strength and while Ill credit alittle of my probelm to that, I know its not all. There are kids that I outbench by over 100lbs and outcurl by 50 and its a struggle to beat them at arm wrestling... I just dont know.

Bruise Brubaker
05-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Yes, there is such a thing.

Strong grip, forearms, core (lower back, abs), etc. are essential for real world strength, yet aren't used much when benching.

Arm wrestling is not a gauge of strength.

debussy
05-29-2005, 06:45 PM
yup, i think people who train strongman and dino are some of the strongest people out there. just lift odd and heavy objects all day. benching isnt going to help you get a 350lb stone up.

oh yeah... and like bruise mentioned, work that grip. most gym rats have such girly forearms/grip.

WBBIRL
05-29-2005, 10:25 PM
That explains alot, my grip and forearms are ****... my lowerback is very good but the other two suck.

WBBIRL
05-30-2005, 09:20 AM
So what areas would someone training strongman work on... I know grip, forearms, lowerback and abs... anything else???

debussy
05-30-2005, 01:31 PM
strongmen have to be strong overall. i think it's also useful to have a strong overhead press. another thing, strongmen these days are required to have good endurance.

Eric_Yager
05-30-2005, 02:13 PM
i think it's also useful to have a strong overhead press.

definitly..since the overhead log press is a strongman event

WBBIRL
05-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Any other suggestions, I have a felling that the place to gain real world strenght isnt in the gym....

BigCorey75
05-31-2005, 12:26 PM
real world strength or "natural strength" has a lot to do with knowing how to use leverage and gain a very advantageous positions to lift things, you can be as strong as an ox but if you have poor leverage you will strugglelifitng things someonewith good leverag will lift with ease

WBBIRL
05-31-2005, 02:56 PM
I know, its like in football... the lower linemen wines the battle.. not the bigger linemen. Im begining to think my problem is how increibly slow I am, because of how slow I am I dont think my muscles can act as a whole thus leaving me exponentially weaker. For example, on the D line it depends on how quick you get out of your stance... for me most times I would stalemate whoever was across me because by the time I had myself exerted he already had me stood up.

Isaac Wilkins
05-31-2005, 04:05 PM
Like BigCorey said, real world strength is more about coordination. Not that everyone who's "real-world strong" is a dancer, but they have figured out how to apply their strength most effectively.

Most, as many have stated, have a very strong grip and back.