PDA

View Full Version : Diet Recommendations.

CoolBeans
12-06-2001, 09:24 PM
Well i've been lifting for 4 years due to football and now that football is over I have signed up at the local gym. Now I'm lifting harder than I ever had before and seeing great results but I think I can easily make things even better. My abs are coming out quite a bit but I still need to work on the lower stomach. The muscles are there but I need to lower my body fat %. My diet is just total crap. I need some advice on what I can do and how I can stick to it.

Just a couple of things real quick that you should know about me and my tastes.

I weight 190lb and im approx 5' 10.5"
17 Years Old
I would guess my body fat is from 15-18%
I can one rep max 300 lb on bench so I think im fairly strong.
I gave up pop about 1.5 months ago.
I don't drink milk.
I can eat eggs, they are pretty good.

I am limited to a school lunch 5 days a week. There I can get a salad along with whatever they are having but who knows what else I will get. Today I had a taco salad and what appeared to be a soy cheeseburger. I normally drink a 20oz fruit punch with my meal as my only source of non-water liquid. I can just easily get a 20oz water here.

I usually lift either at 12:30 or at 3 pm.

What can you do for me? :D

Tryska
12-07-2001, 05:01 AM
okay....you've given us some details....

how about laying out exactly what you eat in a day.....and also, your training routine would be helpful too.

thanks! and welcome!:)

CoolBeans
12-07-2001, 09:17 AM
I usually don't eat breakfast. This I will obviously have to change.
For lunch I usually eat a lot at school. This really depends on what they have. Let's say for a typical lunch I get

Salad with 3 small packs of Italian Dressing
Two main course portions of what they are having. Recent things I remember having are a soft taco and a burrito, ravioli and whatever, a large salad (therefore removing the small salad before) and french fries. I try and get various foods but its hard to eat healthy. I'm usually hungry because I haven't had breakfast.
20oz Drink (previously Fruit Punch, now changing to water)

On the training side of things, I lifted 4 times a week during a normal football offseason. This year I started 5 times a week since I am doing my lifting on my own. I continued this for a month and three weeks ago I increased it to 6 times a week. This might sound like a lot but I have been lifting for a long time. I alternate muscle groups so they each get a day of rest. I just never really have payed attention to my diet.

Monday - Chest and Arms (Dumbell Bench, Bicepts and Tris Exercises)
Tuesday - Legs (High Squat, Leg Curl, Leg Extension)
Wednesday - Chest and Shoulders (Dumbell Bench, Shoulder Workouts)
Thursday - Legs (Squat, Leg Curl, Leg Extension)
Friday - Chest and Arms (Dumbell Bench, Bicepts and Tris Exercises)
Saturday - Legs (Deadlift, Leg Curl, Leg Extension)

In addition I also have an ab routine which I do at the end of each workout day. It is as follows.
3 Cycles of no Rest
20 Reverse Crunches
20 Leg Raises (actually I don't remember the name, but I sit on the end of a bench and pull my legs up to my chest then lock them out in front of me)
20 Crunches with my Legs up on the Bench
15 Reps on the Oblique Machine with 145 lb. Repeat to both sides
15 Reps on the Back Hyperexention Horse.

Rest for 2-3 minutes and repeat. I have seen good results with this method and my abs muscles are getting stronger I have been on this for about a month.

Tryska
12-07-2001, 09:20 AM
hmmmm.....2 questions to start....

1. are you saying you only eat one meal a day?

and

2. you have a back, right?

CoolBeans
12-07-2001, 09:25 AM
Oops forgot the dinner =) My bad.

Dinner sometimes consists of some meat, usually white rice, maybe two vegtables, and some sort of roll/bread on a good day. Unfortunately I eat a dinner like this maybe twice a week. I eat a lot of fast food, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Pizza, etc. I have lots of room to improve.

As for the back I don't do a whole lot. I guess I meant shoulders/back on Wednesday. What do you recommend I should do about that?

Tryska
12-07-2001, 09:32 AM
well your diet definitely needs some work. let's start with training though....how about checking out the wannabebig routines for a one that is a bit more
balanced....

http://www.wannabebig.com/category.php?cat=4

this way you can put on some more quality muscle which will raise your BMR and help you lean out a bit easier.

now the diet.

5-6 small meals a day.....plan them and pack them. skip the junkfood. eat breakfast. make sure you get adequate protein. make sure your carbohydrates are complex (whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies). Make sure your fats come from clean sources...preferably mono-unsaturated fats, and EFAs. (a little flax seed oil, does wonders when it comes to getting cut).

marinate in that for a bit and then ask some more questions...we're happy to help!

millertime
12-07-2001, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by CoolBeans
Monday - Chest and Arms (Dumbell Bench, Bicepts and Tris Exercises)
Tuesday - Legs (High Squat, Leg Curl, Leg Extension)
Wednesday - Chest and Shoulders (Dumbell Bench, Shoulder Workouts)
Thursday - Legs (Squat, Leg Curl, Leg Extension)
Friday - Chest and Arms (Dumbell Bench, Bicepts and Tris Exercises)
Saturday - Legs (Deadlift, Leg Curl, Leg Extension)

This is overtraining, You should change your routine.

Paul Stagg
12-07-2001, 09:38 AM
Pull, son!

All that pressing is going to lead to muscle imbalances and get you hurt.

CoolBeans
12-07-2001, 09:38 AM
Oops forgot the dinner =) My bad.

Dinner sometimes consists of some meat, usually white rice, maybe two vegtables, and some sort of roll/bread on a good day. Unfortunately I eat a dinner like this maybe twice a week. I eat a lot of fast food, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Pizza, etc. I have lots of room to improve.

As for the back I don't do a whole lot. I guess I meant shoulders/back on Wednesday. What do you recommend I should do about that?

CoolBeans
12-07-2001, 09:41 AM
I figured you guys would say I am overtraining =)
What can I say, I like to lift weights.

I guess I can cut back a bit, but its hard to tell what to do. Are you guys recommending 4 days a week for a good solid routine?

Tryska
12-07-2001, 09:44 AM
well...like i said...check this link for some solid routines...

no shame in you liking to lift....we all do here..*lol*

you could always toss some cardio in if you feel compelled to be int he gym everyday though....

CoolBeans
12-07-2001, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
well...like i said...check this link for some solid routines...

no shame in you liking to lift....we all do here..*lol*

you could always toss some cardio in if you feel compelled to be int he gym everyday though....

Yeah I saw that link in the other post. Thanks.

At first I looked at them and decided that I wouldn't like them. After looking a bit more I can see that they are probably pretty solid, and after all, you guys are the experts.

Tryska
12-07-2001, 09:53 AM
yeah...give a decent split a shot.....you don't really wanna be a curl jockey.

CoolBeans
12-07-2001, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
yeah...give a decent split a shot.....you don't really wanna be a curl jockey.

Heh. Yeah I guess I don't. If I do decide to lift 3 or 4 days a week instead, would it be a good idea to maybe do more sets of the same lifts. Like maybe add an additional one set to each of the exercises. Maybe that's how I can do this transition.