PDA

View Full Version : equipment free organization?

biggimp
06-01-2005, 06:22 PM
do any of you think there will ever be an equipment-free org for powerlifting? i really like usapl and how its drug free, but i like to lift drug free and equipment free. i just dont get why usapl would say steroids are banned because of the unfair advantage, while equipment does basically the same thing. i just really wish they would make an equipment and drug free organization so people could really compete with EACH OTHER, not with which equipment is better. ill probably get flamed for this, but oh well.

debussy
06-01-2005, 07:36 PM
ADAU

http://www.pikitup.com/

Paul Stagg
06-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Why don't you lift in any org, and lift how you want?

There isn't a rule that says you have to wear equipment in the USAPL.

biggimp
06-02-2005, 01:15 PM
i did lift in usapl and had a lot of fun. it just kind of pissed me off when i went to nationals and was warming up w/ more than a lot of other people, only to have them put gear on and blow me away lol. i lift for my pleasure and enjoyment, but it just got old when everybody else was getting all the recognition because they were good with equipment.

Sensei
06-02-2005, 01:58 PM
I think the AAU has a raw division.

I think your only options are: find feds w. a raw division OR suck it up and deal w. the fact that no one else is going to get rid of gear just because you don't like it OR give it up and go buy your own equipment to compete on an even keel.

There's just no money in raw lifting - for promoters or for the athletes. If there was, you'd see more raw lifting... People like bigger numbers.

APE.
06-02-2005, 02:55 PM
What are the highest numbers for someone who is totally raw?..no equipment an no drugs.

I've seen old pics of Anderson in street clothes with what was supposed to be 800+ Squats.Always wondered if they were accurate weights in said pics.

Eric_Yager
06-02-2005, 03:03 PM
do any of you think there will ever be an equipment-free org for powerlifting? i really like usapl and how its drug free, but i like to lift drug free and equipment free. i just dont get why usapl would say steroids are banned because of the unfair advantage, while equipment does basically the same thing. i just really wish they would make an equipment and drug free organization so people could really compete with EACH OTHER, not with which equipment is better. ill probably get flamed for this, but oh well.

theres the RAW powerlifting federation

and equipment doesn't "do the same thing" as steroids. learn about assisted lifting and then make claims like that.

Sensei
06-02-2005, 04:01 PM
i really like usapl and how its drug free, but i like to lift drug free and equipment free.

Btw, and I'm not trying to start an argument (really!), drug testing does NOT mean drug free...

Eric_Yager
06-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Btw, and I'm not trying to start an argument (really!), drug testing does NOT mean drug free...

haha you will run into many many problems then unless you have a federation where all lifters are monitored 24/7 and tested daily.

biggimp
06-02-2005, 06:54 PM
and equipment doesn't "do the same thing" as steroids. learn about assisted lifting and then make claims like that.

what are you talking about? i know they are not directly the same thing but they both basically alow a person to lift more than they are capable of lifting. yes you can give the whole argument of "protection from injuries," but thats so much BS. the equipment being used goes way past just protection. i have a titan bench shirt, i know how it works. if i need 315lbs just to get the bar to my chest, which was my raw max, i think that thats a little phony. equipment is getting to the point where forklifts will be the next big thing... i mean rychlak gets 300lbs out of his bench shirt.

Eric_Yager
06-02-2005, 07:11 PM
what are you talking about? i know they are not directly the same thing but they both basically alow a person to lift more than they are capable of lifting. yes you can give the whole argument of "protection from injuries," but thats so much BS. the equipment being used goes way past just protection. i have a titan bench shirt, i know how it works. if i need 315lbs just to get the bar to my chest, which was my raw max, i think that thats a little phony. equipment is getting to the point where forklifts will be the next big thing... i mean rychlak gets 300lbs out of his bench shirt.

Assisted lifting and raw lifting are two exactly opposite things. Assisted lifting allows a lifter to take advantage of the fact that he/she has better strength capability towards the top of their lift so it makes is so that the lift is lighter at the bottom and heavier at the top. At the bottom of an assisted lift, the lifter should be pressing the same as his/her raw lift and at the top of an assisted lift they are pressing considerably more.

Steroids give someone more of an opportunity to do an evenly weighted full press (or more muscular capabilty for assisted lifting). They are two completely different things in all respects.

Darracq
06-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Probably not, Gear is here to stay use it or get beat. Thats just how it is.