PDA

View Full Version : Creatine?

Ken Masters
06-01-2005, 07:48 PM
I just want to know who makes the best brand of creatine and if any brand makes a powder with creatine and protein, so I don't have to buy two tubs. ;)

I live in the Vancouver area. Any locals recommend a good store that sells creatine?

I've completely plateaued so a lot of guys have recommended taking creatine. They've made huge gains.

SpecialK
06-01-2005, 08:02 PM
This should be in the supplement forum, but have you done a search yet? I know the "best brand" topic has been beaten to death. I personally use AST's creatine monohydrate.

Also if you've completely plateaued I doubt creatine is going to suddenly have you making new gains. Maybe you just need to eat more. Just a suggestion.

Ken Masters
06-01-2005, 08:07 PM
To add...

Should I take my creatine before the workout and protein after the workout? How can I be sure the creatine product is 100% pure creatine monohydrate?

Ken Masters
06-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Sorry about posting here. Can an admin move it to the supplment section?

Ken Masters
06-01-2005, 08:09 PM
I eat a lot as it is. At least every two hours. I can't afford to eat anymore than I already am.

SW
06-01-2005, 08:14 PM
It's ok to take creatine before a workout, just don't run or do anything terribly strenuous for a couple hours after you take it. Running after creatine is a bad deal. www.atlargenutrition.com has great creatine, I've got it for my friends and it has worked for them, they love it.

Praetorian
06-01-2005, 08:16 PM
I suggest that you read the sticky about creatine at the top of the supplement forum. It has all the info about creatine you need to know.

I don't think there is any difference in what brand of creatine you buy, creatine monohydrate is creatine monohydrate.

edit. what the hell S_W? :scratch: Wouldn't weightlifting be considered 'strenous'? Care to explain explain why you shouldn't run or do anything 'strenous' after taking creatine?

SW
06-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Strenuous as in running alot or aerobic type stuff. The creatine will run through your blood at a furious rate and build on your heart muscle. I should have clarified. I will now look for research to back my claims. Perhaps someone more knowledgable than us can chip in?

SW
06-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Well, the best I could find was www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/coft_creat.htm
, but it has nothing to do with running.

Here's why I think the way I do about running after creatine: A friend of mine always took it before football and then after a couple of months he had to go to the docter for an enlarged heart (that's the gist of it) caused by the creatine useage before aerobics.

Also, I've been told this by our old athletic director.

Either way, I'll ask Chris to drop by and enlighten us :)

Built
06-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Will,you have GOT to be kidding!

Ken, I'm in Vancouver too. I just buy whatever creatine monohydrate is on sale, and dextrose in the wine kit area at superstore. Toss a teaspoon of creatine into your post workout shake with some dex, and that's all you ever need to worry about. Don't buy premix - it's overpriced crap.

SW
06-01-2005, 09:18 PM
I wasn't kidding. I think I've just been misinformed. I would never intentionaly spread false information, especially on here.

Built
06-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Sorry will - should have clarified. I meant about your athletic coach. OMFG!

Maki Riddington
06-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Strenuous as in running alot or aerobic type stuff. The creatine will run through your blood at a furious rate and build on your heart muscle.

Creatine works through enhancing PCr (phosphocreatine) levels in the muscle which in turn enhances ATP production. This is seen with activities that use short repetitive bursts of 10-20 seconds at a maximal level. Creatine also acts in a number of other ways that are beneficial to the body, none of which will lead to a build up of creatine in the heart.

SW
06-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Thank you for clarifying.

Ken Masters
06-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Wow, thanks for all the info guys. That's awesome. I plan to go out and buy some today. I'll let you know how it works out for me.

WBBIRL
06-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Protein is protein, creatine is creatine and so on.....

I get whatever is cheapest and then factor in taste... if its only slightly more but tastes better then Ill get the better tasteing one. Thats like saying from which soda machine are you getting your coke from... its doesnt matter because a coke is a coke is a coke. Ive been scopeing out some 10lbs of ON double rich choclate whey powder on Ebay and whenever I get my first pay im going to order up 30lbs of it if its still at this price.

spencerjrus
06-05-2005, 03:51 PM
creatine makes u 2 big 2 believe.

TOBART
06-05-2005, 05:43 PM
They sell creatine at Costco now, I believe its $20cdn for 500g. Good price but you need a membership to shop there. Built, what are you paying for dex at superstore? I've been buying from popeye's here and its getting a bit expensive.

Canadian Crippler
06-05-2005, 08:01 PM
I found 350g for $9.98 at Loblaws the other day... couldn't believe it!

Built
06-05-2005, 08:48 PM
I can't remember - I think it was about 6 bucks for 2.2kg

nez
06-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Try www.atlargenutrition.com Great company!